Crunchyroll: The Anime Awards 2016

Lifting the mood, we all know the true best anime of the year:

Me

See, these people agree:

UOppP7qm.png

The caption would imply he thinks you're too sexually promiscuous... :p

*runs*

I wonder if that's perhaps because there aren't a lot of heterosexual couples in the anime released this year? When I've sat and thought about it the only other couple that springs to mind for me (for a series I've watched anyway) is the very obvious pair in Durarara!! (who I am very fond of). Like so many other series have a harem or just no outright couples at all and otherwise I can only think of Durrr!!, Yuri and potentially Sound! that actually have couples of any sex. So many relationships are implied or hinted at but we never really get to the bottom of them within the anime themselves and it's usually left to the original manga/light novel.

12-sai does. Momokuri too. Nobunaga no Shinobi does as well for that matter but that's because history. Mayoiga does but doesn't give it much focus. And there are a couple of others that have them at the end like
ReLife and BokuMachi
. That's about it for the actual canonical heterosexual couples that I've seen alongside those already mentioned.

Does Sousei no Onmyouji count? Then again I stopped watching the anime of that a while back so have no idea how it goes from there.

At least one of the couples in the actual poll is never more than hinted at, though, and including those the number increases greatly.

I'd also take Azu and Hagita :D

R

I always forget those two are/could be a couple because the anime really didn't do them any favours. ;_;

Good shouts from the people who mentioned Naho and Kakeru, considering how much I like the manga I'm not sure how the series slipped my mind. I guess it's simply because while I really like the manga the anime adaption didn't do it many favours so it has swiftly been forgotten.

12-sai does. Momokuri too. Nobunaga no Shinobi does as well for that matter but that's because history. Mayoiga does but doesn't give it much focus. And there are a couple of others that have them at the end like
ReLife and BokuMachi
. That's about it for the actual canonical heterosexual couples that I've seen alongside those already mentioned.

Does Sousei no Onmyouji count? Then again I stopped watching the anime of that a while back so have no idea how it goes from there.

At least one of the couples in the actual poll is never more than hinted at, though, and including those the number increases greatly.

I never watched 12-sai or Nobunaga no Shinobi, but I am surprised I forgot about Momokuri. I guess this year had more couples than I first thought (although still an alarmingly small amount all things considered).

Couples that are hinted at I never find that fun to include against actual couples, so it's a bit of a shame CR decided to include them in the running. In fact the only couple hinted at that I actually consider a couple are
Hawkeye and Mustang in the original FMA anime (and the manga/Brotherhood I guess). I know the mangaka said that marriage wouldn't be possible due to being in the military but damn it those two are definitely together!).
Otherwise I always find it's too easy just to rule them out without solid confirmation one way or another, which is a shame really because it leaves us with slim pickings for stuff like this.

You're totally getting the wrong impression here. For one, I never said it's bad, it's not, it's fairly nice, but nothing amazing.
I could literally go back a few posts and quote you saying exactly that...
Anyway I'd like to point out, as an outsider who hasn't even seen the show, that it doesn't look at all like you think YOI is 'fairly nice, but nothing amazing'. You might really feel that way but it's definitely not what you're projecting by going berserk every time someone says something nice about it.

There's a large difference between not liking a show and not liking the animation. Even if you don't like either series, you have to admit that Yuri on Ice looks incredibly average in comparison, not to mention I've seen a few screencaps on Twitter of some less than stellar moments where it looks like total crap.
I think I see what you're trying to say but I don't believe it has anything to do with what Rui meant by animation here.
Rule of thumb: if you're judging the animation based on a still, it's not actually the animation you are judging...

Re: Orange Azu x megane is clearly the cutest couple

Now I'm just waiting for Smeelia to post in their usual well-mannered, open and respectful way and make us all feel bad.

I could literally go back a few posts and quote you saying exactly that...
Anyway I'd like to point out, as an outsider who hasn't even seen the show, that it doesn't look at all like you think YOI is 'fairly nice, but nothing amazing'. You might really feel that way but it's definitely not what you're projecting by going berserk every time someone says something nice about it.

I meant the animation in that particular comment, rather than as a whole, but I think it's time we all moved on, so I won't go on...

@IncendiaryLemon @Rui Why do I get the feeling I'll be referencing you two again when I review the final four episodes of Yuri!!! on Ice?

Can confirm that PMs have been exchanged and we are all friends again. Everyone is able to mention Yuuri!!! On Ice in this thread as normal.

I bloody hope so. All I can currently think of at the moment is the phrase: "Won't you two get a room."

Now I'm just waiting for Smeelia to post in their usual well-mannered, open and respectful way and make us all feel bad.
Ooh, I've been summoned. Funny timing, considering I haven't been on for a couple of weeks and happened to log in now. I hope I don't make anyone feel bad though.

I've ended up not watching many new shows this year, there often seemed to be something getting in the way. Part of that has been watching physical releases of shows new and old, so I have still watched a fair bit of anime, but I have quite a long list to catch up on (and it'll probably only get longer with new shows arriving soon).

The Crunchyroll awards nominations do seem a bit limited, I guess they'd rather have a small and competitive voting process than something more comprehensive. Most of the shows do seem to be ones that were somewhat popular and talked about, although even then it still feels like there are a few oversights. Maybe there's a deliberate aspect to that so that people feel compelled to get involved in discussions about the nominations.

Still, even out of the few shows I've seen, there are at least a few good choices. There are quite a few categories where I'd struggle though, partly because of not seeing some of the shows and partly because I could probably think of things I'd rather see nominated.

For "Anime of the Year", I'd go with Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.
It's really a brilliant show. It has great characters, an interesting story and some very effective and detailed animation. There's plenty of depth and room for interpretation and discussion, but the show is still likely to work quite well even if you don't think about it too much. Even if they weren't doing a second season, the story covered by the first season is generally wonderful.

I'd be tempted to give special mention to She and Her Cat -Everything Flows- / Kanojo to Kanojo no Neko -Everything Flows-. It's only around 30 minutes in total, so it probably wouldn't qualify to compete by most criteria, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I even went so far as to import the Japanese release, maybe a silly and expensive thing to do but I can't say I regret it.

I wonder how people will vote for Best Boy/Best Girl, fans of other characters from the same show might want to vote for the show but might not want to vote for the competitor of their favourite. That seems like it'd be a tough category to narrow down from a wider selection. I have a tough enough time picking from the cast of New Game, let alone picking from any anime.

I actually bought quite a few OP and ED songs from shows this year (probably too many). I'd probably go with the Amanchu ED song, although with visuals and such the Erased one is pretty good and I did enjoy the one from New Game as well. OP wise, it'd maybe be Flying Witch, mostly for the clapping (for both the song and visuals). I've mostly listened to the Flying Witch soundtrack as well, although I recently picked up a couple of others.

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge / Tanaka-kun is Always Listless probably has at least two couples that should be in the running for an award. One was somewhat undermined to the detriment of the whole show, but Tanaka x Ohta would be a strong contender. I'd also like to see TekoPikari from Amanchu in there. Even if you don't interpret them as a romantic couple, their relationship and growing closeness was a major part of the show and really well handled.

I suppose I'd have to think a bit harder to come up with a final list for all of the categories.

Best Boy: Can I argue Leonardo Watch on the grounds BBB got home video this year? If not, no award.
I'd be tempted to allow that, on the basis that Leo probably deserves an award. That said, if we're not being too age restrictive then there's some serious competition even in the same show.

Best Girl: Yakumo from Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
I'd genuinely support this. If nothing else, it highlights that Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu has a wide variety of layers and works on several different levels.

If any character from Konosuba had made it into best boy/girl, I'd be concerned for the state of anime. Everyone in that show does nothing but be mean to people, and Aqua exists purely to bend over.
Well, there's at least Megumin, Darkness and Chris. I suppose you could technically disqualify Megumin for property destruction and Chris doesn't appear much, but I'm not sure Darkness ever did anything to hurt anyone (she's probably the closest to a real hero, even if she does have some odd ideas).

I still consider Kazuma to be a nice guy. He says and thinks mean things, but he doesn't seem to actually be malicious. The show basically starts with him saying one thing (that he hates people) and then demonstrating something different (he risks his life to save a stranger), I considered that to be an indication of the general theme and intent of the show and it seems to work fairly consistently. Most of the bad things that the main characters actually do aren't really intentional or are at least somewhat justifiable (with the possible exception of anything Aqua does, but even she has her moments).

Saying that, I'm still not entirely sure that I watched Konosuba right because my view doesn't seem to be particularly common. I guess I've said this all before anyway.

Well Anime of the year for me was Re:Zero, I know it's a show that divides opinion but it's the show I enjoyed the most and provided a fantastic simulcast experience.

Iron Fortress would probably get best animation and action anime, WIT studio do great things.

I am disappointed that Asterisk Wars is not up for best ED's as it had a fantastic soundtrack even if the anime was a bit average

not so long ago it was Buzz201 mad at a popular series being popular and now the roles are reversed and he (rather unusually) likes the popular choice.

R

Not intending to drag this up again. But end your celebrations, I haven't changed/been kidnapped or anything :p, I was seriously considering making up an award just to give it to Occultic;Nine. I've only seen two episodes, but I rather enjoyed those, and I really don't think it shat the bed like everyone said it did.

Hopefully AL or Madman gets it, I think I'd like a blu-ray copy, and maybe I'd even stomach half-season sets. (Though It goes without saying I'd prefer full season sets if at all possible.) :)

Not intending to drag this up again. But end your celebrations, I haven't changed/been kidnapped or anything :p, I was seriously considering making up an award just to give it to Occultic;Nine. I've only seen two episodes, but I rather enjoyed those, and I really don't think it shat the bed like everyone said it did.

The first episode didn't really do anything for me but I imagine it will get a decent release in spite of its rather, erm, mixed reviews. We should totally make up extra award categories though.

Best fashionista: Kishibe Rohan (JJBA)
Best depiction of Oda Nobunaga: Drifters (though I do also like the one in Nobunaga No Shinobi, and he's in quite a few shows this season alone!)
Best love triangle (or square): MSG Iron-Blooded Orphans (not saying who but it's the obvious one)
Best harem: Also MSG Iron-Blooded Orphans (Naze)
Best troll: Nagito (Danganronpa)
Best couple-most-people-never-noticed-was-a-couple: Sonia/Gundham (Danganronpa)
Best stupid deep-sounding-but-not-actually-deep one-liners: UtaPri Legend Star
Best eyebrows: Daryuun (Arslan Senki)
Best insert song: Amaama To Inazuma's shark song (it was my most heartwarming scene too but I don't care)

Edit: Now I can't stop thinking of frivolous awards.

R

Last edited:
Rear of the Year: The one from All Out!! (The show that proved anime can do the impossible, by seemingly making rugby more homoeortic..,)

I've really enjoyed Occultic;Nine so far, but whether I'd want to own it is possibly another question. It's a shame it seems to have clicked with so few people - despite its myriad problems, I think it offers something genuinely different.

Back