Crunchyroll: The Anime Awards 2016

Best Boy is painful to look at as well. Admittedly I haven't seen 2 of the characters but the only emotion the two I have seen stirred within me was irritation. They should have just stuck Kuzu from Gi(a)rlish Number in there and called it a day. Where's Ikta? Where's Kazuma? Where's Dazai-san? You know, actual good characters...

The whole thing looks like a pathetic attempt to promote Mob Psycho to me. It gets in every category they could possibly squeeze it in (including best OP and ED), and in every case far better things are left out entirely.

If any character from Konosuba had made it into best boy/girl, I'd be concerned for the state of anime. Everyone in that show does nothing but be mean to people, and Aqua exists purely to bend over.

I checked the full list and for a list of people who supposedly aren't corporate shills, they did a spectacular job of corporate shilling. They nominated 2 Sentai shows (Flip Flappers and Sakomoto got one nod each) and 1 Aniplex show (ERASED got 3 nominations). Everything else was CR or Funi, and the same shows get all the nominations.

Screw this, I'll do my own anime awards with hookers and blow. Actually, forget the anime awards...

So what do you think is bad then? I like the OP of Servamp less but that's just my preferences in music genre. Which only leaves Anne Happy's OP really competing with it for title of worst >1 min long OP song of the year that I've heard (and I've heard the vast majority of them).

And given that this is an award for best in the year, then surely the stuff that gets on there should be amazing? Rather than something we're having an argument over whether it's awful or merely not bad?

I think the OP on the whole is amazing, the song is the weaker element, but the brilliant visuals totally makes it noteworthy. Also, do you mean like, this year, or all time? All time worst OP I've seen is for Ghost Hunt, but this year, I'd have to say, I can't remember one OP standing out as being bad. Hell, there's been a ton of great ones, like ERASED, Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desu Kara, Kiznaiver, JoJo Part 4, Mob Psycho 100, Drifters, Yuri on Ice, Sound! Euphonium S2, etc.

The one OP I saw that received universally negative feedback was the first Twin Star Exorcists OP, which I actually rather liked. The song tried for something different and clearly it didn't work.

I think the OP on the whole is amazing, the song is the weaker element, but the brilliant visuals totally makes it noteworthy. Also, do you mean like, this year, or all time? All time worst OP I've seen is for Ghost Hunt, but this year, I'd have to say, I can't remember one OP standing out as being bad. Hell, there's been a ton of great ones, like ERASED, Mahou Shoujo Nante Mou Ii Desu Kara, Kiznaiver, JoJo Part 4, Mob Psycho 100, Drifters, Yuri on Ice, Sound! Euphonium S2, etc.

I meant for the song specifically, seen as I've already stated that this is 90% of an OP's value to me (and that's not being hyperbolic), and you were claiming that it isn't bad so I was wondering what you consider is bad since if I were to make a list of weakest OP songs I'd ever seen it would probably be on there somewhere (although there would admittedly be a fair few things above it). That Ghost Hunt one (which I just listened to) was pretty poor as well, though, yes, although depending on what the series is like it could have been a decent mood setter... if it was half the length.

Sousei no Onmyouji ED 1 is much more what I would describe as "not amazing but not bad either", incidentally.

I meant for the song specifically, seen as I've already stated that this is 90% of an OP's value to me (and that's not being hyperbolic), and you were claiming that it isn't bad so I was wondering what you consider is bad since if I were to make a list of weakest OP songs I'd ever seen it would probably be on there somewhere (although there would admittedly be a fair few things above it). That Ghost Hunt one (which I just listened to) was pretty poor as well, though, yes, although depending on what the series is like it could have been a decent mood setter... if it was half the length.

Sousei no Onmyouji ED 1 is much more what I would describe as "not amazing but not bad either", incidentally.

Outside of Ghost hunt, I can't think of an OP off the top of my head that is actively bad. The majority of anime openings are either generic and forgettable, but not awful, or amazing.

Maybe the reason the awards are so CR-biased is that they have pretty much everything nowadays. I'm not particularly standing up for them - of course it's a marketing tool designed to benefit them first and foremost - but at the same time I largely agree with their picks in spirit if not in personal taste. The only way you can watch some of the stuff on the list at this moment is by paying money to entities who are not CR, which is a step further than I thought they would take in making an award campaign at all. Even if it was purely limited to CR properties by design, it would still be a worthwhile event. More worthwhile, in fact, since it annoys me that non-CR shows which are locked away from my glorious self are eligible :p

I don't even understand the music argument. I didn't bother with Mob Psycho 100 and think the OP is rubbish, but there's no denying that the show was mega popular and if you were into it that opening would really psych you up to watch the show. If it doesn't deserve to win then just vote against it when the voting commences.

Also, I bought the Ghost Hunt OST back in the day and loved the music :(

So what would everyone here pick as their favourites (from all of anime or from Crunchyroll) over the period? We've already talked about some favourite titles in general in the staff articles and 2016 thread, but I'm sure we can all argue about Best Girl of 2016 until the cows come home now the year is coming to an end.

Maybe I'll pick some random scattershot candidates myself and cause another fight :D

*makes a Best OP category but only selects shows about male idols as candidates*

R

My choices
AOTY : YOI Hero :Deku Villian :Kira Boy : Yuri Girl : MHA Girl Best Fight : Mob Best Animation : YOI (**** THAT TWEET) Heartwarming : The Kiss Drama:ERASED Couple : Victor And Yuri Comedy : KonoSuba Action: MP Best OP: YOI Best ED: YOI

So what would everyone here pick as their favourites (from all of anime or from Crunchyroll) over the period? We've already talked about some favourite titles in general in the staff articles and 2016 thread, but I'm sure we can all argue about Best Girl of 2016 until the cows come home now the year is coming to an end.

Best anime excluding sequels and stuff that aired in previous years:
10/10s:
Re:Zero (CR)
9/10s:
Grimgar (Animax/Funi)
Sansha Sanyou (Funi)
8/10s:
Alderamin (CR)
Flying Witch (CR)
HaiFuri (CR)
Kimi no Na wa. (AL/cinema)
MahoIku (CR)
Netoge (Funi)
Shakunetsu (CR)
Tanaka-kun (CR)

Best OPs:
Re:Zero OP 1
HaiFuri OP

Best EDs:
Alderamin ED (best OP/ED in general)
BokuMachi ED
MahoIku ED

Best new boy:
Ikta Solork (Alderamin)

Best new girl:
Merry (Grimgar)

Most entertaining new characters:
Megumin (KonoSuba)
Kondou Asako (Sansha Sanyou)

Best couple:
Rusian Nishimura x Ako (Netoge)

Best villain:
One of the villains from Naria Girls - most of them would qualify. For sheer comedy value.
For a more serious answer... well it depends on who you count as a villain in certain series. Here's looking at you, MahoIku.

Not really fussed about best animation unless you include artwork in animation, in which case Hibike! Euphonium wins comfortably (yeah I know that's a sequel and I've excluded them up to now but meh). Kimi no Na wa. wins if you count films but IMO that's an unfair comparison. Most of the genre categories are included above and I don't care about best fight scenes.

Last edited:
My choices:

AOTY : YOI
Hero : Deku
Villian :Kira
Boy : Yuri
Girl : MHA Girl
Best Fight : Mob
Best Animation : YOI (**** THAT TWEET)
Heartwarming : The Kiss
Drama:ERASED
Couple : Victor And Yuri
Comedy : KonoSuba
Action: MP
Best OP: YOI
Best ED: YOI

You pick best animation for Yuri on Ice in a year where we had Sound S2 and Flip Flappers? Are you for real? The animation is literally the only redeeming factor in Yuri on Ice, but even then it pales in comparison to the competition, doesn't even come close. Hell, even when you look at something like Punch Line, it's clear MAPPA are capable of so much better work than YOI.

Anyway:

Anime of the Year: Sound! Euphonium Season 2
Best Hero: Josuke (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4)
Best Villain: Kira (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4)
Best Boy: Suwa (Orange)
Best Girl: Hanamaru (Love Live Sunshine!!)
Best Animation: Sound! Euphonium Season 2
Most Heartwarming Scene: This bit from Kiznaiver (Spoilers)
Best Drama: Sound! Euphonium Season 2
Best Couple: Kumiko and Reina (Sound! Euphonium Season 2)
Best Comedy: New Game
Best Action: Mob Psycho 100
Best OP: Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4)
Best ED: Vivance (Sound! Euphonium S2)

Last edited:
I decided for fun that I'd go through the awards and choose a personal pick for each and what I'd pick from the CR selection. :)

Anime of the Year:
Cr - Re:Zero
Personal - KonoSuba

I think the Anime of the Year is a pretty good selection from CR. It hasn't been a strong year and yet the titles I think deserve to be there all are.

Hero of the Year:
CR - Izuku Midoriya
Personal - Dazai from Bungo Stray Dogs

Gotta say the selection here wasn't great. I would never consider any of them besides Izuki as hero potential and meanwhile the whole cast of Bungo missed out, really? No selection from Grimgar either? Blah.

Villain of the Year:
CR - Gaku Yashiro
Personal - Betelgeuse Romanee-Conti

Again disappointed in the selection for villain. I mean how did Betelgeuse not make this list? He's definitely the best villain this year to me and it has nothing to do with the fact he was voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka... Seriously though, there are better villains than that selection makes out.

Best Boy:
CR - Izuku Midoriya
Personal: Rampo from Bungo Stray Dogs

This list annoys me too. How do you pick Yuri but not Victor for YoI? Again, where are the Bungo characters or Durarara or Haikyu for that matter.

Best Girl:
CR - Nico Niiyama
Personal - Luluco!

At least for this selection they aren't a bad choice. I'm not surprised they found a way to slot Rem in...

Best Fight Scene:
CR - Deku Vs Kacchan
Personal - Re:Zero vs the white whale

Again the CR selection isn't really a bad one so can't complain too much.

Best Animation:
CR - Yuri on Ice
Personal - Haikyu

I think there is something to be said for both Yuri on Ice and Haikyu because they're both more realistic and down to earth shows that have polished animation that really draw you in. Haikyu is perhaps better with portraying really powerful, sitting on the edge of your seat, feelings but Yuri on Ice really has done wonders in giving us something that flows really well.

Most Heartwarming Scene:
CR - Kayo's First Homecooked Meal
Personal - Yuri on Ice when they get engaged

I think the choices for Yuri on Ice and Orange are perhaps incorrect. I feel like the more heartwarming scenes of Orange are much later on and for Yuri on Ice it really is a toss up between the kiss and the two getting engaged. I think the Erased scene is pretty emotional though, so that's not undeserving of its spot.

Best Drama:
CR - Kiznaiver
Personal - Re:Zero

Okay, looking back Re:Zero might not be the best drama now but while it was airing? It was so painful to watch each week and not knowing how things were going to go for Subaru. Kiznaiver and Erased were also good for pulling at the heartstrings though, even if I think Haikyu deserves a place on the list for how it flip flopped week to week...

Best Couple:
CR - Luluco & Nova
Personal - Yuri & Victor

I think Luluco & Nova are a good example of first love and how crazy and powerful it can be, while Yuri and Victor are a good example of what a stable, strong, relationship looks like. So they're my favourites in different ways. :)

Best Comedy
CR -KonoSuba
Personal - KonoSuba

The thing with KonoSuba is that the only real competition it had for me is Luluco but even then, I don't remember Luluco as readily as I do KonoSuba. It's definitely not for everyone but it made me smile every single week, so that's all I can ask for really.

Best Action:
CR - My Hero Academia
Personal - Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

I'm not sure anything can really compete with MHA, but I actually really loved the action in Grimgar (until the later episodes when it started to fall apart anyway). It was very well animated and I was impressed, even if it wasn't always as full on and lively as MHA.

Best Opening:
CR - Yuri on Ice
Personal - KonoSuba

KonoSuba's OP is just silly and really full of life so it always makes me smile when I hear it. I think musically the second opening for Noragami is my favourite as it's the one I keep going back to and looping for days. It's just so upbeat! I really liked the Flying Witch opening as well...

Best Closing:
CR - Space Patrol Luluco
Personal - Haikyu!!

The latest closing for Haikyu!! depicted all the big teams and was obviously created with so much love. It was just really fun to watch. Musically it's not a memoriable song, but then that's what the second ending for Bungo is for which I adore. I like the My Hero Academia ending as well so plenty of choice for this one, personally anyway...

Overall I do feel the CR awards have tried too hard to champion Mob Psycho 100 and missed some other, perhaps more deserving, shows off the list. At least some of my choices lined up with them though.

Wow, looking at what got nominated, it's an absolute travesty. No best show or animation for Sound!? No Love Live girls for Best Girl? No best OP for JoJo? These choices are a joke. How YOI ended up with so many nominations despite being so terrible escapes me.

Anime of the Year: Yuri!!! On Ice
Best Hero: Deku (My Hero Academia)
Best Villain: Kacchan (My Hero Academia) - Yes, technically he's a hero. No, I don't care...
Best Boy: Can I argue Leonardo Watch on the grounds BBB got home video this year? If not, no award.
Best Girl: No award.
Best Animation: Gundam Thunderbolt
Most Heartwarming Scene: The Car Park scene from Yuri!!! On Ice
Best Drama: ERASED
Best Comedy: YowaPeda Movie - Technically 2015, but CR US didn't get it until April, so I don't care
Best Action: BBK/BRNK - I didn't really like it, but it had the best action of the yea
Best OP: Lay Your Hands on Me (KIZNAIVER)
Best ED: You Only Live Once (Yuri!!! On Ice)

Oh? I assumed otherwise given Yuri on Ice was his pick for AOTY, but I guess that actually did get nominated. sigh
Do you have to continuously shitpost YOI every time someone mentions it?

It would be nice to be able to talk about the finale this evening without you constantly moaning about the fact other people dared to enjoy it.

You pick best animation for Yuri on Ice in a year where we had Sound S2 and Flip Flappers? Are you for real?

Well, I didn't like either of those two alternatives so in thedoctor2016's place I would probably have made the same call. The skating animation is incredible and ambitious with the detail on the outfits and the sense of weight. Personal opinions being what they are :p

Anyway, here's my not-at-all-well-thought-out list. I have excluded Osomatsu-san even though part of it most certainly did air in 2016, and excluded movies/OAVs because obviously they have the best animation. I use official English titles when I can remember them so please forgive inconsistency. I'm ignoring the CR picks as I haven't seen a bunch of them anyway.

Anime of the Year: JJBA
Best Hero: Toyohisa from Drifters
Best Villain: Serpico from Berserk (hey, it's a matter of perspective)
Best Boy: Obi from Akagami No Shirayukihime
Best Girl: Yakumo from Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Best Animation: Gakuen Handsome (just kidding, it's YOI)
Most Heartwarming Scene: Amaama To Inazuma/Sweetness And Lightning (the shark song!)
Best Drama: ERASED
Best Couple: Viktor/Yuuri, fight me (If I wasn't excluding DRRR!! for being a continuation Shinra and Celty would walk away with this one)
Best Comedy: Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE!
Best Action: MSG Iron-Blooded Orphans because it's exciting
Best OP: I want to say Zenryoku Batankyuu from Osomatsu-san as it started in the 2016 part of the series, but if I stick to my guns then Reason Triangle from Joker Game was my favourite.
Best ED: Sore Ha Chiisana Hikari No Youna from ERASED

Reading up I would like to add that a less cheeky Best Girl suggestion would likely come from Bungou Stray Dogs and as Demelza said, Haikyuu!! had some amazing animation this year.

Mostly now curious about the tweet mentioned earlier. Huh?

R

Last edited:
Well, I didn't like either of those two alternatives so in thedoctor2016's place I would probably have made the same call. The skating animation is incredible and ambitious with the detail on the outfits and the sense of weight. Personal opinions being what they are :p

R

There's a large difference between not liking a show and not liking the animation. Even if you don't like either series, you have to admit that Yuri on Ice looks incredibly average in comparison, not to mention I've seen a few screencaps on Twitter of some less than stellar moments where it looks like total crap. Sound! and Flip Flappers are so much better, it's not even in the same ball park. Honestly, all the YOI nods seem like nothing to me than a way to shamelessly plug a show that's already had far too much exposure in the first place.

Back