Crunchyroll: The Anime Awards 2016

Crunchyroll - The Anime Awards 2016

Everyones favorite will get robbed, let the fighting commence.
But none of the picks are appropriate for the category...

ABViINN.png

In the lists I checked (not everything), nothing Sentai got a look in, two AoA shows got nominated and CR was on the production committee for one of those. Nothing on Netflix shows up.

I'm not saying CR tipped the scales in theirs and Funimation's favour, I'm struggling to think of what I would have nominated instead, but there was certainly a conspicuous absence of other companies' titles in the lists I looked at...

Also, that Best Girl category is a joke. I may end up voting for Rem, as the lesser of 4 evils and I did not like what I saw of her at all...

Heads up too, Best Villain contains MAJOR spoilers for Erased o_O
I don't think MHA's villain has been named in the anime either. I'm not far enough into the manga to know if that's an issue or not.

Last edited:
In the lists I checked (not everything), nothing Sentai got a look in, two AoA shows got nominated and CR was on the production committee for one. Nothing on Netflix shows up.

Quite a bit of Kabaneri too which annoys me as I don't have Amazon Prime. Actually surprised it's not all CR as they could use viewing stats to help curate some categories.

The Villain category sorely needs a spoiler warning.

R

Quite a bit of Kabaneri too which annoys me as I don't have Amazon Prime. Actually surprised it's not all CR as they could use viewing stats to help curate some categories.

R

I suspect Kabaneri only got nominated because CR has home video for it. As far as I saw, ERASED is the only title which neither Crunchy or Funi has any rights to which got nominated.

I wonder if the independent panel that assembled the nominations is actually just their finance department... :p

I think that out of all of the categories, the only one in which I've seen all the candidates is "Best Couple", which I suppose is slightly worrying in terms of the lack of variety of shows I've streamed.

Also, that Best Girl category is a joke. I may end up voting for Rem, as the lesser of 4 evils and I did not like what I saw of her at all...

Best Boy is painful to look at as well. Admittedly I haven't seen 2 of the characters but the only emotion the two I have seen stirred within me was irritation. They should have just stuck Kuzu from Gi(a)rlish Number in there and called it a day. Where's Ikta? Where's Kazuma? Where's Dazai-san? You know, actual good characters...

The whole thing looks like a pathetic attempt to promote Mob Psycho to me. It gets in every category they could possibly squeeze it in (including best OP and ED), and in every case far better things are left out entirely.

Best Boy is painful to look at as well. Admittedly I haven't seen 2 of the characters but the only emotion the two I have seen stirred within me was irritation. They should have just stuck Kuzu from Gi(a)rlish Number in there and called it a day. Where's Ikta? Where's Kazuma? Where's Dazai-san? You know, actual good characters...

The whole thing looks like a pathetic attempt to promote Mob Psycho to me. It gets in every category they could possibly squeeze it in (including best OP and ED), and in every case far better things are left out entirely.

TBF, Mob Psycho did have one of the best OP and ED this year.

Crunchyroll has posted a list of their judges:

• Miranda Sanchez - Editor at IGN Entertainment
  • LeSean Thomas - Animation producer, director (The Boondocks & Black Dynamite), creator of Crunchyroll’s upcoming project Children of Ether
  • Xavier Woods - WWE superstar and known anime-lover, aka Austin Creed
  • Matt Schley - Otaku USA Magazine
  • Yomimaid - Event Chair at San Francisco Anime Festival & Cosplay
  • Tristan Gallant - Glass Reflection
  • Lauren Orsini - Otaku Journalist
Crunchyroll Presents: Anime Awards 2016

Lauren Orsini is the only one I've really heard of.

Oh wow Austin Creed. :eek: I've heard of the IGN one, although I avoid that site as much as possible.

Not too sure on the categories, but Shouwa Genruko gets my vote by default for all its categories. Also, David Bowie Kira is best villain.

TBF, Mob Psycho did have one of the best OP and ED this year.

I will have to respectfully disagree there. The ED was about average and the OP was one of the weakest of the entire year (and in a year without all that many good OPs) as far as I'm concerned. But that's not really the point of what I was saying. Having a single series down for basically every award it could possibly be put under makes it look like there's someone on the panel who was belligerently sticking that series in everywhere they could. Which means at least one of these three things is true:
- They aren't taking their nominations even remotely seriously.
- They are a raving fanboy of Mob Psycho.
- They hardly watched any anime this year.

Any one of these things mean they really shouldn't have been involved in deciding which series to have in there. Especially with only four places available for most of the awards.

I will have to respectfully disagree there. The ED was about average and the OP was one of the weakest of the entire year (and in a year without all that many good OPs) as far as I'm concerned. But that's not really the point of what I was saying. Having a single series down for basically every award it could possibly be put under makes it look like there's someone on the panel who was belligerently sticking that series in everywhere they could. Which means at least one of these three things is true:
- They aren't taking their nominations even remotely seriously.
- They are a raving fanboy of Mob Psycho.
- They hardly watched any anime this year.

Any one of these things mean they really shouldn't have been involved in deciding which series to have in there. Especially with only four places available for most of the awards.

Honestly, you're in the minority in regards to the OP. It had a great song, but the visuals were outstanding and wonderful. I'm not sure why you wouldn't like it, really.

Honestly, you're in the minority in regards to the OP. It had a great song, but the visuals were outstanding and wonderful. I'm not sure why you wouldn't like it, really.
It has basically no tune to talk of whatsoever. Half of it just counting in a rhythm. Except the counting fails (seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty one twenty two ???) and the rhythm seems to fail at times as well. I don't see why you would like it. The visuals? Well I guess it doesn't help that I really dislike the art style of the entire series...

It has basically no tune to talk of whatsoever. Half of it just counting in a rhythm. Except the counting fails (seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty one twenty two ???) and the rhythm seems to fail at times as well. I don't see why you would like it. The visuals? Well I guess it doesn't help that I really dislike the art style of the entire series...

I mean, if the lyrics are the biggest complaint you have, I don't see how you can call that bad.

Godawful lyrics, failed rhythm and near-total absence of tune = don't see how I can call it bad? What?
The song is like 90% of an OP/ED and this song gets fail grades.

I don't see how you can call it bad because I think that the visuals are more important to a good OP than music, and even if you dislike the art, you can't say it's not a well animated show. Complaining about the lyrics seems so petty and nitpicky. I also really don't understand what you mean by a failed rhythm. It sounds fine to me.

Whereas I think visuals are near-irrelevant. Some of my favourite OPs and EDs of all time have visuals that are nothing special at all. The first ED of Shakugan no Shana being an obvious example. Not that I like the visuals of the OP here either.

So to sum up this discussion - we have extremely different opinions on what makes a good OP/ED and thus, unsurprisingly, come to completely different conclusions about whether a given OP is good or not.

Incidentally, I never said it wasn't a well animated show.

Whereas I think visuals are near-irrelevant. Some of my favourite OPs and EDs of all time have visuals that are nothing special at all. The first ED of Shakugan no Shana being an obvious example. Not that I like the visuals of the OP here either.

So to sum up this discussion - we have extremely different opinions on what makes a good OP/ED and thus, unsurprisingly, come to completely different conclusions about whether a given OP is good or not.

Incidentally, I never said it wasn't a well animated show.

Don't get me wrong, I think the music is important here, and whilst I don't think the song in this particular OP is amazing, it's certainly not bad either.

Don't get me wrong, I think the music is important here, and whilst I don't think the song in this particular OP is amazing, it's certainly not bad either.

So what do you think is bad then? I like the OP of Servamp less but that's just my preferences in music genre. Which only leaves Anne Happy's OP really competing with it for title of worst >1 min long OP song of the year that I've heard (and I've heard the vast majority of them).

And given that this is an award for best in the year, then surely the stuff that gets on there should be amazing? Rather than something we're having an argument over whether it's awful or merely not bad?

Back