UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

How did this even end up with Crunchyroll

ANN lists Sunrise as License / Crunchyroll as Stream. I can kinda understand Crunchyroll getting it in the US due to Nozomi...

But UK has Anime Limited? 😿

How did this even end up with Crunchyroll

ANN lists Sunrise as License / Crunchyroll as Stream. I can kinda understand Crunchyroll getting it in the US due to Nozomi...

But UK has Anime Limited? 😿

Presumably, CR also licensed home video rights when they licensed it for streaming. ANN isn't really going to be privy to whose got which rights unless it was publically announced.

CR has streaming rights, they produced the dub for the series (which is unusual, Sunrise usually does that themselves with a partner directly), it was always likely it was going to be them handling it, especially given how popular it is.

Kind of tempted for the steelbooks, as sticks out as something different, which works given what it is (and sadly doesn't for Cucuruz Doan's Island). i'm sure the US will have these as well but also maybe a retailer exclusive.

Problem with forwarders is you need to pay for U.K. and then the forwarders shipping cost and also pay the U.K. VAT and your own countries Customs and the customs handling fee ontop

It would end up being significantly more expensive all thanks to Crunchy deciding on using the most brexit shop of all of them

For Ireland you’d be talking around 150€ for the 2 sets
Yeah, at the current exchange rate it'll work out about €132 plus the €3.50 customs clearance fee and €6.50 forwarding cost via AddressPal.

God I really hope G-Witch later gets a standard edition which is available via Anime On Line and/or Anime Limited. G-Witch is one of my most wanted releases and now I can't even order it due to shipping restrictions. First region restrictions on blu-rays, then region restrictions on streaming services and now this sh*t.

Why on earth did Crunchy decide to go with HMV

HMV are one of the largest retailers for home video in the UK (and the only one with a high street presence), and regularly get exclusives from multiple distributors. Them not shipping internationally is a shame, but these releases have always been intended for the UK market, and other places shipping internationally has always been more of a luxury. However, I'd say that them not shipping to Ireland specifically goes beyond that, because Ireland is in our domestic market (thanks Brexit!).

I have reached out to Crunchyroll's PR agency to enquire about potential Standard Blu-ray SKUs, but I have yet to hear a reply.

HMV are one of the largest retailers for home video in the UK (and the only one with a high street presence), and regularly get exclusives from multiple distributors. Them not shipping internationally is a shame, but these releases have always been intended for the UK market, and other places shipping internationally has always been more of a luxury. However, I'd say that them not shipping to Ireland specifically goes beyond that, because Ireland is in our domestic market (thanks Brexit!).

I have reached out to Crunchyroll's PR agency to enquire about potential Standard Blu-ray SKUs, but I have yet to hear a reply.
I'd say they're gearing up to start shipping to Ireland soon as you can add an Irish phone number to the delivery and there is now a country field that is currently only populated by the UK.

It's a bit ridiculous that they won't even ship orders for collection to the Dublin store though.

They are purchased as U.K. and Ireland licenses releasing in a retailer exclusively that only ships to the U.K. screws Irish customers

An option however is goldendisks is basically the Irish store if they gave goldendisks the Irish exclusive we could then get them easily and goldendisks sell crunchyroll stuff already

Also **** brexit

Exclusives are just bad for consumers in general, it’s even weirder that there looks like no wide standard edition release
Reminder again: This was an announcement for October.
No regular releases of any title have been revealed for September or October by CR - so everything is open (for now). And as mentioned this release might be released in other English-speaking territories as well, probably not as exclusives.

only populated by the UK
I guess you're not close enough to the border to nip into NI, although doesn't Brexit affect them too?
Found this on a piece about the new deal:
"At present, some online shoppers in Northern Ireland are told goods sold in the rest of the UK are not available for them to buy."
Although that new deal was about trying to get that situation sorted, I guess.

I guess you're not close enough to the border to nip into NI, although doesn't Brexit affect them too?
Found this on a piece about the new deal:
"At present, some online shoppers in Northern Ireland are told goods sold in the rest of the UK are not available for them to buy."
Although that new deal was about trying to get that situation sorted, I guess.
I'd probably be fine as I've family in Belfast, though it would technically be considered smuggling if I got them to resend it to me. Perfectly legal for me to go up and collect it. Stupid Brexit.

Crunchyroll September US

9/3 Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Movie (Blu-ray)
9/3 Rent-a-Girlfriend Season 3 (Blu-ray)
9/10 Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Season 1 (Blu-ray) Steelbook
9/10 Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Season 2 (Blu-ray) Steelbook

9/10 My Hero Academia Season 5 (Blu-ray/DVD) Walmart Exclusive
9/10 One Piece Collection 34 (Blu-ray/DVD)
9/10 TRIGUN STAMPEDE Limited Edition (Blu-ray/DVD)
9/10 TRIGUN STAMPEDE (Blu-ray)
9/17 That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: The Movie - Scarlet Bond (Blu-ray)
9/17 The Great Cleric The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
9/24 Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Season 2 Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD)
9/24 Ranking of Kings: The Treasure Chest of Courage Season 2 (Blu-ray/DVD)
9/24 Yu Yu Hakusho Seasons 1 + 2 - Walmart Exclusive 2 Pack (Blu-ray)
9/24 Yu Yu Hakusho Seasons 3 + 4 - Walmart Exclusive 2 Pack (Blu-ray)

Crunchyroll September US

9/17 That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: The Movie - Scarlet Bond (Blu-ray)

Odd they're making the complete season 5 release of MHA a store exclusive, I wonder if it'll be a similar deal over here.

Definitely will be getting Trigun Stampede LE, the Slime movie and RoK S2 when they're announced for over here (along with RAG S3 and Gundam but they've already been announced).

A shame RoK S2 isn't getting a LE like S1 did though.

Crunchyroll September US

Still no MagiRevo nor MyGO... F*ck my life... Oh, and of course G-Witch is an CR shop exclusive release which means I can't order it via Amazon nor can I order it from CR's own shop cause they don't ship to my country, f*cking great.

Last edited:
Back