UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Whats with all thr funi uk titles getting digital copies in them now... The big horrible print on the cases saying includes digital copies is horrid..
Because like other companies they want as many people to switch away from physical media to digital streaming so they can exert more control over your entertainment library to better suit their needs such as smothering the second hand market and shifting to direct sales.

Last edited:
The irony being with Funimation’s service winding down and titles switching to Crunchyroll, those digital copies might be left in limbo. I read somewhere that the June “Funi” titles now solicited on the CR label lack digital copies altogether. I expect they think paying for a CR subscription amounts to the same thing.

Because like other companies they want as many people to switch away from physical media to digital streaming so they can exert more control over your entertainment library to better suit their needs such as smothering the second hand market and shifting to direct sales.
The moment anime switches to digital only is the moment I stop buying. You never truly own anything digital as you're reliant on the servers being maintained/existing to access your product. At least with physical you always have a means of watching something regardless of when you decide to watch.

The moment anime switches to digital only is the moment I stop buying. You never truly own anything digital as you're reliant on the servers being maintained/existing to access your product. At least with physical you always have a means of watching something regardless of when you decide to watch.
Don't worry the physical market maybe shrinking but the niche won't disapear altogether. Though the prices are increasing as a consequence sadly. I'm still buying physical PS5 games so I'm right there with you

At least until all your Blu-rays and DVDs rot away or the last available disc players die. Hopefully that would happen beyond my lifetime; streaming-only is a world I have no desire to live in. I only use streaming services to view a few episodes of a series, strictly to determine if I will be buying it on Blu-ray or not. Very, very rarely do I ever watch an entire series all the way through via streaming.

Surprised I’m not hearing more about this online? I haven’t seen here or ANN post about this?

Crunchyroll free tier is getting heavily nerfed for all upcoming seasons, and will only allow for 3 episodes of select shows

It was only a matter of time after they seriously nerfed a few previously in what was obvioulsy a test run.
Slime season 2 comes to mind as the free version was only available 2 weeks after airing up to episode 3 or 4 then they didn't put the rest free until a few weeks after the whole season had aired...

Last edited:
I know what you mean I never understand these people who think streaming is just fine or seem to have no concept of ownership when it comes to media, they seem to think you'll be able to stream it forever but that's not always the case and you can't admire a collection that way. Physical will always be better for ownership and eventually people will realise that.

Just seen on Funi Facebook page that thy announced JJK0 is the UK's #3 biggest ever anime film at box office now.

I do wonder what #1 and #2 are though?

Just seen on Funi Facebook page that thy announced JJK0 is the UK's #3 biggest ever anime film at box office now.

I do wonder what #1 and #2 are though?
I would say definitely Mugen Train and possibly Your Name., but even though it came to cinemas a few different times there was only a few showings each time, so probably another Shounen film.

Apparently they don't count Pokemon as anime for some reason and based on something I read about some DBZ film the actual answer is Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle.

Last edited:
sYZUtCw.png

So, I havent been following things much but does this mean Manga UK / Funimation UK will now only be Crunchyroll? or will they keep the Funimation name for most of their releases

Either way I'm going to be happy sitting here to see how long this lasts until the bubble bursts

So, I havent been following things much but does this mean Manga UK / Funimation UK will now only be Crunchyroll? or will they keep the Funimation name for most of their releases

Either way I'm going to be happy sitting here to see how long this lasts until the bubble bursts
The Q2 slate will likely keep the Funimation name, but expect Q3 onwards to use the Crunchyroll name going forward.

Back