BBFC Passed Anime Updates

m1WCQEZ.png

Ride Your Wave
for mild bad language, sex references, brief nudity

IRufBZw.png

Fairy Tail Final Season Part 1 (Fairy Tail Part 23)
for moderate sex references, implied strong language

Mobile Suit Gundam NT
for brief bloody images, moderate threat

LafvyeQ.png

Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered But Overly Cautious
for strong bloody images, strong violence, sexual violence, sexualised images, strong sex references, sexualised nudity, brief sexual threat

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection
for strong violence, injury detail, suicide, sexualised nudity

Kemono Michi: Rise Up
for strong sex references, sexualised images, wrestling violence

BU8HIla.png

Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
for strong sexualised images, sexual threat, strong sex references, references to sexual violence

I was curious about the 'Yuuna' episodes being '18'. I'll share an e-mail exchange with BBFC.

The e-mail I sent:

Hi, thanks for your work.

I'm wondering why all the 'Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Spring' episodes were rated '18'? For example, episode 6 was rated '18' for sexualised nudity. There is a scene with topless nudity but it is presented in a comic context and is quite brief when considering the length of the episode.

I remember when sexualised breast nudity was classified at '15' with no issue. Why is the adult category required for this nudity that lacks strong detail? Even some of the old 'Carry On' films had somewhat sexualised nudity at PG (they probably would not carry this rating today, though).

Thanks very much

The response:

Thank you for your email.

The Classification Guidelines state that nudity with no sexual context is in principle acceptable at all classification levels, but will not generally occur more than occasionally at U. Nudity with a sexual context will receive a higher classification. Where the principal purpose of depicting nudity is to sexually arouse it will usually only be passed at the adult categories (18 or R18).

In the case of Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Spring there is a focus on the sexualised nudity of chil*like characters who are identified as being under the age of 18. As such the episodes are classified 18.

Yours sincerely

BBFC Feedback Team

@Sarah Looking at the link, it is going to go to Netflix.
The fact Netflix went to the bother of getting it certified should make it an appealing prospect to UK based companies (that aren't owned by Sony 😉) as they wouldn't have that extra cost and let's be honest, the well is pretty dry at the moment for none Sony owned properties...

The fact Netflix went to the bother of getting it certified should make it an appealing prospect to UK based companies (that aren't owned by Sony 😉) as they wouldn't have that extra cost and let's be honest, the well is pretty dry at the moment for none Sony owned properties...
Speaking of Netflix, apparently they rated Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn years ago and I had no idea.

The database added a few catalogue additions i.e. titles we know were rated but weren't on the system, so some examples are below.

IRufBZw.png

Dr. STONE Season 1 Part 1 [Episodes 1-12]
for brief bloody violence, infrequent moderate sex references

Steins;Gate: The Movie: Load Region Of Dejà Vu
for moderate bloody images, threat, nudity

LafvyeQ.png

Akira [Bonus Material]
for N/A

ARIFURETA: From Commonplace to World's Strongest Season 1
for strong sex references, violence, bloody images

Cannon Busters
for strong violence, bloody images, sex references

Golden Kamuy Season 1
for strong bloody violence, injury detail

The Quintessential Quintuplets Season 1
for sexualised images

BU8HIla.png

Demon City Shinjuku
for sexualised violence, sexual assault

High School DxD Born
for sexualised images, nudity

High School DxD New
for sexualised images, nudity

Wicked City
for sexual violence, sexualised violence, strong sex, nudity

Interesting that High School DxD BorN is now an 18, when the earlier release was a 15 (Manga used the 15 rating despite the age increase).

In case anyone is concerned about the fact that the BBFC lists the runtime of Wicked City as 79 mins (the feature is 82 mins, which matches the BD runtime), I'm guessing that would be the runtime for PAL DVD (if 4% speedup was applied), considering it was confirmed to be uncut by Manga themselves, with no mention of any cuts on the new BBFC listing.

Interesting that High School DxD BorN is now an 18, when the earlier release was a 15 (Manga used the 15 rating despite the age increase).

In case anyone is concerned about the fact that the BBFC lists the runtime of Wicked City as 79 mins (the feature is 82 mins, which matches the BD runtime), I'm guessing that would be the runtime for PAL DVD (if 4% speedup was applied), considering it was confirmed to be uncut by Manga themselves, with no mention of any cuts on the new BBFC listing.
So did the BBFC re-rate Born as an 18 and Manga still used 15 on the packaging? Pretty sure thats illegal...

yup
Very strange situation...
I remember reading an article a long time ago about things submitted to the BBFC couldn't get a higher rating (unless scenes are added) but could get a lower one. I think it was about The Exorcist, yes thats how long ago, so I wouldn't rule out the BBFC actually making a mistake and not Manga in this case.

Unless this Manga release has something the AL release didn't but can't see that happening 🤷‍♂️

Very strange situation...
I remember reading an article a long time ago about things submitted to the BBFC couldn't get a higher rating (unless scenes are added) but could get a lower one. I think it was about The Exorcist, yes thats how long ago, so I wouldn't rule out the BBFC actually making a mistake and not Manga in this case.

Unless this Manga release has something the AL release didn't but can't see that happening 🤷‍♂️
I believe their stance has probably been tweaked in recent years. For instance, sexual violence content that would have gotten a 12 or 15 have been upgraded to 15 or 18 depending on the tone or context. For DxD, I did find it interesting that it got away with a 15 but given the age of the characters maybe they decided it would be best to slot it as an 18.

But again, it probably depends on who is rating it. Maybe the person who gave it a 15 felt it wasn't that big of a deal, while the person who gave it an 18 felt it would be a bit much for the 17 year old's mindset (they probably couldn't decide between Rias and Akeno so they used an 18 rating as an excuse to avoid making their decision on who is best girl).

I believe their stance has probably been tweaked in recent years. For instance, sexual violence content that would have gotten a 12 or 15 have been upgraded to 15 or 18 depending on the tone or context. For DxD, I did find it interesting that it got away with a 15 but given the age of the characters maybe they decided it would be best to slot it as an 18.

But again, it probably depends on who is rating it. Maybe the person who gave it a 15 felt it wasn't that big of a deal, while the person who gave it an 18 felt it would be a bit much for the 17 year old's mindset (they probably couldn't decide between Rias and Akeno so they used an 18 rating as an excuse to avoid making their decision on who is best girl).
Yeah be very true, but also raises the question of why Manga went to the bother of getting it re-rated?! Especially as it seems to have gotten a higher rating realistically lowering their market (not really though) and potentially opening them up to fines for releasing a product with a lower rating than it received.
Like I said just a very interesting situation.

Back