BBFC edit Paranoia Agent Volume 3

Mangaminx

Stand User
According to a post on the AnimeOnDVD forums, the third volume of Paranoia Agent has been edited by the BBFC. The BBFC page for Paranoia Agent Volume 3 states "Cuts required (on potential harm grounds) to the sight of a child attempting to hang herself, and accompanying subtitles. Cuts in accordance with the Video Recordings Act 1984". Approximately 1 min 20 seconds of the title has been edited out. This makes Paranoia Agent the first title from MVM (and the first non hentai title in a long while) to be edited by the BBFC.

This may go someway to explain the delays... just how long the delay now is is another issue (17th of April or November?). The strange thing is, i'm pretty sure that Paranoia Agent 3 was already evaluated last year when we were looking at the BBFC website a few days ago.

aniki said:
This gets a Cut 18, but Gantz#1 got past with a 15?

I'm confused.

The BBFC's view seems to be the "hanging" scene contained on the disc treats it too lightly and dosent show it seriously enough. Presumably they are scared kids will see it as a "cartoon" too and try and copy the scene. "Remember boys and girls hanging yourself may seriously damage your health"

Please note I think their stance is total rubbish myself ;)

aniki said:
This gets a Cut 18, but Gantz#1 got past with a 15?

I'm confused.

The BBFC take a dim view of hangings in animation it seems, there was a similar backlash after Ren and Stimpy, of all things, was edited for much the same reason. The BBFC's reasoning is: "Children "might" see the material in question regardless of classification. The cuts were Compulsory.Cut required to remove a sequence in which the subject of hanging is presented as comedic, fun and risk free, on the grounds of potential harm to the likely audience and in accordance with the Video Recordings Act 1984.", which basically means the scene wouldn't have escaped the censors unscathed, regardless of whether the DVD was certified as an 18 or not.

Wow that really shocks me, having seen the show a while back I didn't see it gettin an 18 rating!
That's what annoys me about the BBFC 'kids might see it' so they 'could' see any 18 rated material! Why bother with these different age ratings then!?

o_O what does this mean now then, i'm not watching something that's edited, but i don't want to import... fansubs may be the only option to see this episode in full glory.

EDIT: But i have to artbox with it too, i don't know what to do now... This is not MVM's fault but i think this will be a blow to their profits if many people know about this... omg...

It is ironic that the BBFC can't even handle a suicide scene when last year, I was watching Doctors on BBC1 at 2:00pm and it showed in detail - a boy hanging himself. No - he wasn't saved either at the last minute, it was actually quite gritty and nearly put me off my lunch!

Looks like I'll have to import vol 3, to see the full glory and message of that scene!

DaNiMé said:
No jokes here, is there a way to complain to the BBFC or petition this to be unedited?

Seeing as it would require laws to be changed I think this being reverted is massively unlikely. But the BBFC's contact page is here.

I honestly think that it will take more than one person to be honest, so if everyone can send an e-mail, at least it's a start, even if it's for a cause that's virtually impossible to change, it's still worth a go :D

Doesn't make sense to me either. You'd expect that with an 18 rating, the presumption would be that's the audience age. Otherwise what's the point in the rating system at all? I can think of plenty of objectionable content in series and movies so far, I don't get why this gets cut because it may be seen by children. It sounds about as wishy-washy a standard as you can get frankly, although I'm willing to acknowledge th possibility of some other, more sane reason behind the cut.

1 minute 20 is quite a long time in an episode of around 24 minutes, 21 minutes if you exclude opening and ending credits. That's over 5% of the episode, and possibly a significant aspect of the show, judging from the scene description.

awww man this has really annoyed me now because i was waiting for Paranoia Agent vol 3 with sweaty palms to continue the story lol but if they take out those minutes i don't think the episode will make sense will it? i mean the episode in question revolves around those people!

The whole episode revolves around suicide which is why I don't understand why they didn't edit out the other stuff like the guy jumping in front of a train but surviving, kids might try that for fun :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Necromancer said:
The whole episode revolves around suicide which is why I don't understand why they didn't edit out the other stuff like the guy jumping in front of a train but surviving, kids might try that for fun :lol:.

Probably because the girl dosent actually jump in front of the train, but she puts a noose around her neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back