AUKN's Best of the Decade - Results and Discussion

Stand Alone Complex? Didn't see that coming actually. If the lists were for series only it would have been on mine, but the three movies I chose (Millennium Actress, Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) kept it out. Also not in SAC's favour is that it's been a fair while since I watched the show.

My #1 was Mushi-shi. Such an amazing piece of work.

The Second Raid was another one that came close, being one of the best action shows I've ever seen. Really, there's been a lot more great anime this decade than I realized before compiling my top ten.

What's going on with another Full Metal Panic series? Do KyoAni still have the rights? If Kaiji (Kaiji!) can get a sequel, so can FMP. Seriously. :/

Jayme said:
FMP would've been nice, but I see this more as a list of the UK anime fandom as a whole. It's a popularity and quality contest, not just popularity or just quality. Of which FMP has neither. (lol).
Having a slow day, Jayme?

Maxon said:
Jayme said:
FMP would've been nice, but I see this more as a list of the UK anime fandom as a whole. It's a popularity and quality contest, not just popularity or just quality. Of which FMP has neither. (lol).
I just open my mouth and words come out. Or type out? My point is mostly valid though. This is a top ten specific to here, so Monster would have been a hell of a shock. You denounced it like it was full of crap and its way too subjective for that.

Jayme said:
Maxon said:
Jayme said:
I just open my mouth and words come out. Or type out? My point is mostly valid though. This is a top ten specific to here, so Monster would have been a hell of a shock. You denounced it like it was full of crap and its way too subjective for that.
But it is full of crap.

ilmaestro said:
Why would I be suggesting that you watch it illegally?? It's like the one series that has always been pretty cheap to buy here.

Indeed, I picked up the triple pack box set (Laughing Man, Individual 11 and Solid State Society) for £10 in HMV. And that's about 7.5 hours of quality anime right there!

Well my taste in anime is different to everybody else's. Only two shows that I voted for made the top ten. Ah well.

I watched Clannad earlier and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Jayme said:
What's going on with another Full Metal Panic series? Do KyoAni still have the rights? If Kaiji (Kaiji!) can get a sequel, so can FMP. Seriously. :/
They've never announced one, you don't automaticaly get rights on sequels. They should still be held by the author and character designer.
They could make another season of Munto whenever they like though(as it's original work, not adaptation).

vashdaman said:
Well after reading your statistics I'm now convinced it's this anime based on erotic games thats destroying the medium.
What did you think the (moe) boom was!!
They're one of the profitable areas.
Stugeon's Law applies regardless. Don't blame one genre for lack of diversity.

King Jimmeh said:
Just an idea, but it might be worth putting together a compiled post of the results and some relevant data/info and putting up so it appears on the AUKN front-page. I know it's not news, but it promotes the community aspect side of the site, and a few more visitors here to comment should never be a bad thing.

Not a terrible idea :)

My #1 was Seirei no Moribito. Only two of my nominees made the top ten, but that's ok. And someone else mentioned Guu, which makes it all worthwhile.

R

Maxon said:
maes, I just realised you did not correct me on putting Gunbuster in my list instead of Diebuster. I don't think an anime from the 80s qualifies for this. >_>
I put it down as "Gunbuster vs Diebuster", as I assumed that whilst people might accidentally slip a 1999 series in there, there was little chance of anyone being that stupid. :p

Rui said:
King Jimmeh said:
Just an idea, but it might be worth putting together a compiled post of the results and some relevant data/info and putting up so it appears on the AUKN front-page. I know it's not news, but it promotes the community aspect side of the site, and a few more visitors here to comment should never be a bad thing.

Not a terrible idea :)

My #1 was Seirei no Moribito. Only two of my nominees made the top ten, but that's ok. And someone else mentioned Guu, which makes it all worthwhile.

R

Ooh good stuff, I'm pleased to see such high praise for Moribito, I'm actually going to start watching it myself either tonight or tomorrow, cant wait now! :)

@Reaper GI(I don't know how to mult quote): when you say moe boom I'm not even entirely sure what you mean, unless it has somethimg to do with moe the bartender from the Simpsons? Nah I have actually heard the word being used a couple times on this forum and whenever, but I still don't know what it means and I refuse to google it(incase the search comes up with erotic games :? ). Incase you weren't aware, as I think I have mentioned before I have pretty much been living in a cave the last ten years.

But when you say Sturgeons Law applies if you mean that 95% of everything is crap, then yeah I'd certainly agree, I guess animes no different to anything else in regards to that. But still I'd appreciate it if amime's 95% of crap wasn't erotic game crap, but I guess it's irrelevant crap is crap.

vashdaman said:
@Reaper GI(I don't know how to mult quote): when you say moe boom I'm not even entirely sure what you mean, unless it has somethimg to do with moe the bartender from the Simpsons? Nah I have actually heard the word being used a couple times on this forum and whenever, but I still don't know what it means and I refuse to google it(incase the search comes up with erotic games :? ). Incase you weren't aware, as I think I have mentioned before I have pretty much been living in a cave the last ten years.

But when you say Sturgeons Law applies if you mean that 95% of everything is crap, then yeah I'd certainly agree, I guess animes no different to anything else in regards to that. But still I'd appreciate it if amime's 95% of crap wasn't erotic game crap, but I guess it's irrelevant crap is crap.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_(slang) (URL breaks the post so C&P it)
Read the discussion page as well, it's a very vague term.
moe boom = boom in (or due to) that in anime. Starting with ToHeart, and NGE.

90% of eroge adaptaions are crap, 90% of action series are crap etc.
10% not being crap generaly still applies.
Not liking a whole genre is fine, saying they're all bad is wrong.
I don't go near yaoi/BL anime and think it is cancerous, this does not make all of it bad; some will still be good, but I'd never watch it to check.

King Jimmeh said:
Thanks for the suggestion. Will do that.

Reaper gI said:
vashdaman said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_(slang) (URL breaks the post so C&P it)
Read the discussion page as well, it's a very vague term.
moe boom = boom in (or due to) that in anime. Starting with ToHeart, and NGE.

90% of eroge adaptaions are crap, 90% of action series are crap etc.
10% not being crap generaly still applies.
Not liking a whole genre is fine, saying they're all bad is wrong.
I don't go near yaoi/BL anime and think it is cancerous, this does not make all of it bad; some will still be good, but I'd never watch it to check.

Very true, I didn't mean suggest that erotic game anime(eroge?) is wrong(aside from destroying the medium), it's just not really my preferred genre, but your absolutely right it could be any genre of anime and theres gonna be tons of **** with only few gold nuggets lost amongst the ****.

I was only really playing around, theres nothing necessarly wrong with anime based on erotic games or whatever(providing theres nothing too dark in it of course) and I suppose they have their place. I only really meant that I personally do not really enjoy erotic game anime, eroge??,moe??(I'll read up on iy later), or any of the other plentiful shows with reams and reams of uninspired fan service galore. So yeah I didn't really mean that erotic game anime was inherently bad at all(ya know aside from corrupting the anime industry an all :wink: )

So that Top Ten list in full is:

GitS: Stand Alone Complex
Clannad AS
Code Geass
Gankutsuou
Black Lagoon
Haruhi
Baccano!
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Haruhi movie

Seems a bit churlish for anyone to have too much of a go at that collection, tbh.

Top ten by individual votes:

Black Lagoon
GitS: SAC
Code Geass
Fullmetal Alchemist
Clannad AS
Gankutsuou
Haruhi
Haruhi movie
Full Metal Panic

with a tie for tenth between:

Baccano!
Death Note
Welcome to the NHK!
Paranoia Agent
Gundam 00

Shows that got voted number one:

Death Note (twice)
GitS: SAC
Clannad AS
Gankutsuou
Haruhi
Baccano!
Full Metal Panic
Welcome to the NHK!
Clannad
Bakemonogatari
Higurashi
Darker Than Black
Monster
Mushishi
Summer Wars
Last Exile
Beck
Moribito
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Aria the Animation
Honey and Clover
Mai-HiME
Oh My Goddess!

Top eleven (+1) years of the decade:

That's listed by total number of "points" scored by that year's shows, but 2006 is also the outright winner by number of shows, and average score per show.

Top shows of each year:

2010 - Haruhi movie
2009 - Bakemonogatari
2008 - Clannad AS
2007 - Baccano!
2006 - Code Geass
2005 - Mushishi
2004 - Gankutsuou
2003 - Fullmetal Alchemist
2002 - GitS: SAC
2001 - Cowboy Bebop movie
2000 - FLCL
1999 - Excel Saga (so now you two know who you are)

Highest average score (min. 3 votes):

Baccano!
Death Note
Clannad AS
Clannad
Gankutsuou
Bakemonogatari
Lucky Star
Haruhi
Higurashi
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo

Combined Franchise Ranking:

Haruhi
Clannad
GitS
The works of Kon Satoshi
Works based on Narita Ryougo LNs
Code Geass
Full Metal Panic
Gankutsuou
Black Lagoon
The works of Hosoda Mamoru

Shinkai Makoto films would come in about 20th, Ghibli movies about 15th.

--

Anything else I can add? I'll post the full list of shows voted for tomorrow or something.

Wow, thanks for all that info. Very interesting.

Am surprised Durarara! didn't do better, but maybe it's a little new, and Disappearance did better due to being a franchise continuation. Am surprised that Ghibli films didn't do though, even as a franchise.

Back