8th and 7th
6th and 5th
4th and 3rd
2nd
1st

Extended breakdown

--

Without... further... ado...

The first movie to make our list, and the first 2010 production, coming in a tie for 9th in the points total list (broken by number of individual votes) it's...

10 - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

A surprise showing at film festivals, and the recent home video release, were enough to provide Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu with all the ammo it needed to make the top ten. Kyoani's adaptation of the fourth entry in the light novel series has received almost universal praise, although it received no overall first place votes.

And with one more individual vote than Haruhi's theatrical debut, a show that at its peak reached a level of popularity rarely seen over the course of the decade...

9 - Fullmetal Alchemist

The original 2003 adaptation of Arakawa Hiromu's shounen manga took a necessary deviation from the source material along the way, but that didn't stop people loving it enough to vote it into our top ten. In fact, who knows, it might even be the reason why! Hagane no Renkinjutsushi is surely one of the representative franchises of the decade, a success story both in Japan and America, and clearly also in the UK!

--

Random statistic: 24 people voted, naming 121 individual series.

Glad to see Disappearance made it there in the list, and also a little surprising considering it's not been out too long. FMAs original anime series from 03, i can understand it being there easily enough as it did leave that impression on the anime community, but i still don't rate it top 10 material myself. I do much prefer Brotherhood/manga. But there we go.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Yay, Disappearence top ten'd.
Do we get to know how many votes each series in the top ten got, other series that didn't make it ect, how many votes they got ect?, basically what mutsumi and someone else in the other thread already asked btw.
Yup, am gonna slowly leak some random stats, and then info dump at the end.

It gets a little worse, and also a little better, I think. Shame you didn't, with the relatively small number of people we got voting, each vote relly did make a huge potential difference to a show's placing.

Good to see FMA on the list. As I have only seen 3/5 of Brotherhood (2/5 at the time I voted), it was never going to be included for me.

As for 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' - not seen it yet so can't comment on it.

Mmm, I like the statistical speculation. :s

--

Getting on with the results!

Coming in eighth position, a 2006 manga adaptation by the name of...

8 - Death Note

Much speculated on in the build up to these results, everything goes according to keikaku for Death Note as it makes the top ten! And more than that, it was the only series to receive more than one first place vote!

Next, squeaking into seventh by the skin of its teeth, a 2006 Light Novel adaptation...

7 - Baccano!

Narita Ryougo's Prohibition (and other) era romp mixes the supernatural with the superfarcical... and now with an AUKN top ten of the decade award! I'm sure Isaac and Miria would be over the moon.

--

Random Statistic: The lowest placed show with multiple votes came in a tie for 88th. The highest placed shows with just one vote came in a tie for 41st.

I'm impatient so can't stand waiting for the full list. If it all came out at once though I know I'd just skim it and not read properly, so this format is better :)

Go go Baccano! No surprises with FMA and Death Note, both are already classics which have been talked about all over the internet. I am still waiting for Bandai's US release to see Disappearance, though from all reports it looks as though it will be worth the wait.

Like some others I haven't really started properly on Brotherhood (I have the first two UK DVD sets sitting in my backlog). I think because I didn't watch the original series for a while after it came out, I'm happy to let Brotherhood wait a while in order to let me watch it without comparing it too much to the previous version. So if I had voted for a FMA series, it would have been the older one on that basis.

R

I'm kind of liking the shape of this, Fullmetal Alchemist deserves it's place on here, and although I've never watched Death Note, I am aware of it being highly popular, especially in 2006/7, though I would hardly be suprised if Bleach crops up around 5th

I've recently finished Baccano so I wasn't able to put it on my list but it deserves to be in the top 10, a really fun series to watch. Death Note isn't a favourite of mine but I can understand why so many people liked it.

I can't really comment on Disapperence I haven't watched them it and i'm currently on Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood which is excellent stuff.

ilmaestro said:
Mmm, I like the statistical speculation. :s

--

Getting on with the results!

Coming in eighth position, a 2006 manga adaptation by the name of...

8 - Death Note

Much speculated on in the build up to these results, everything goes according to keikaku for Death Note as it makes the top ten! And more than that, it was the only series to receive more than one first place vote!

Next, squeaking into seventh by the skin of its teeth, a 2006 Light Novel adaptation...

7 - Baccano!

Narita Ryougo's Prohibition (and other) era romp mixes the supernatural with the superfarcical... and now with an AUKN top ten of the decade award! I'm sure Isaac and Miria would be over the moon.

--

Random Statistic: The lowest placed show with multiple votes came in a tie for 88th. The highest placed shows with just one vote came in a tie for 41st.

Yay! Mine was one of those fist place votes >=3 keikaku dori!

We return for our third bite of the results sandwich...

In sixth position, with its second frachise entry in the top ten...

6 - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

Arguably the most talked about otaku show of the last decade, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, adapted from Tanigawa Nagaru's Light Novels and starting in 2006, clearly made enough people happy to rank above all but five other shows. If Endless Eight really was "the death of the franchise", sixth place is pretty good for a corpse!

And finishing in a tie for fourth (broken by number of first place votes), we have a 2006 manga adaptation...

5 - Black Lagoon

This anime version of Hiroe Rei's original work was popular enough to scoop the most individual votes of any show... but didn't leave a lasting enough impression on anyone to actually make the top of their list! Let's hope "Two Hand" Revy isn't too upset by our tiebreaking procedures...

--

Random statistic: Every year from 2000-2010 was represented by at least four shows, and at most fifteen. Two people unfortunately voted for a show that started in 1999.

...Yes? Isn't that how a Top Ten works?

Nice list so far. Somewhat surprised by another Haruhi appearance, but I really shouldn't be.

I watched the first (broadcast) episode of Melancholy and was bored and uninterested during the whole thing. Wasn't really inspired to continue. Just saying :)

But as it stands, the top 10 so far is fairly good.

ilmaestro said:

!!!

I didn't put my votes in any particular order. XD I just assumed each vote was worth one point or something. XD Ah well, too late now. I'd still have put Death Note as my #1, but the rest would have been a different order.

I don't think FMA was on my list, but perhaps it should have been. Fantastic show.

I'm surprised that Death Note didn't place higher. While the show has a thrilling plot, it didn't make my list because it drags a bit in the middle and lays on the melodrama a little too thick for my liking (though this was partially remedied by switching over to the dub--Japanese Light hams it up to hitherto unseen levels--and not taking it quite so seriously). The bait has been laid...

Black Lagoon? Good show but not, for me, one of the best of the decade. Haruhi was close.

Baccano is one of my favourite shows of all time and the only one so far that I voted for (it was my #2 or #3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back