AUKN's Best of the Decade - Results and Discussion

Yup, I was particularly pleased to see how well the Count did, but I have no qualms with Lelouch making the top ten, either. In fact, the list has actually been a bit better than I expected, overall. It will be very interesting to see the general reaction to the final pair of shows, though. ^____^

Wow, I really didn't expect to see Gankutsuou there (my personal #2). It's visually resplendent, full of memorable characters, and brilliantly plotted, and definitely the best thing Gonzo have ever done. I'm guessing a lot of UK fans haven't seen it because, for various reasons, not everyone imports. Gankutsuou is definitely one of the best shows to never be released here.

For Geass, see my views on Death Note (minus the dragging in the middle bit).

I'm going with Naruto and Mushi-shi for #1 and #2. Thanks for PM-ing my list, maestro!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleased with how the list has turned out so far, most of the anime I voted for has come up (Even if I wished Baccano was just a bit hight). Though having said that, if naruto rates higher than all the anime on the current list then I might have some less than pleasant things to say

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'm going with Naruto and Mushi-shi for #1 and #2. Thanks for PM-ing my list, maestro!
:D I love the theories that have (I assume) been applied to those two guesses.

And no problem.

Jiindama said:
Out of curiosity, how are you weighting the votes?
Very simply, just 10 points down to 1, with ties being broken by number of first place votes, and then number of total votes. I wanted first place votes to count "more" in some way, but the voting pool is just too small to have much of a different value weighting, I felt.

Jayme said:
Will we get the final result today or tomorrow? Or both?
Due to my work schedule, I will post number two in the morning, probably about 7am, and then number one about 6pm to allow for a little more speculation. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
ilmaestro said:
Very simply, just 10 points down to 1, with ties being broken by number of first place votes, and then number of total votes. I wanted first place votes to count "more" in some way, but the voting pool is just too small to have much of a different value weighting, I felt.

I was hoping you weren't going to say that. Oh well.
Do you have the results in a Spreadsheet or something?

Away from the forums for a few days and look what I miss...

Well, ilmaestro's first post implied that there's at least one more movie due up. If forced to guess, I'd go with Durarara!!, something from Kon or Hosoda, and Sword of the Stranger may be in with a shout. There's a particular title I'll be hugely disappointed not to see listed, but hey, it's all subjective anyways.

In the end I abstained from voting after realising I'd only watched sixteen shows that would qualify, five of which belong nowhere near this list and two of which are on it so far.

sic vita est said:
Well, ilmaestro's first post implied that there's at least one more movie due up.
highly regarded recent films including:
Haruhi (had I have seen it earlier I'd have voted for that as well), Time of Eve, Hosoda's stuff, rebuild of Evangelion, Kara no Kyokai,Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Spirited Away, Shinkai's stuff, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, Macross F.

Quite hard to pick. Even fans of one director won't all pick the same movie.

Jiindama said:
ilmaestro said:
I was hoping you weren't going to say that. Oh well.
How would you rather I had done it?

sic vita est said:
Well, ilmaestro's first post implied that there's at least one more movie due up.
Whilst I don't want to say whether there's a movie left or not (and I'm sure people will take this post as "clear indication" one way or another), I was going to post something similar to that for whatever was number 10 (just changing "movie" for "TV series" or "OVA") just as a kind of "stating the obvious" mass-media like statement. ^^;

Is this the first half of the final stage? Or is it secretly the second half of the second to last stage. You decide!

For our "first place runner-up", the fans spoke and decided almost to a man to specify a "sequel" series, leading to a judges decision to name in second place...

2 - CLANNAD AFTER STORY

This 2008 series marks KyoAni's third appearance in our top ten, and is a great example of a show that polarized opinion between either not being included at all, or ranking very highly on several ballots.

--

Random statistic: By the slightly arbitrary way I have rendered the names of all the shows that were voted for, there are:

12 x !
10 x :
9 x -
5 x .
2 x '

And only 1 x ; () , _

12 (ish) words are rendered in ALL CAPS.

Clannad ~After Story~ just got everything right for me, the main characters and supporting cast are all memorable, the plot was unexpectedly well paced and I cried manly tears "FUUUUUUU-".

It seems to have become a classic for most anime fans including here and rightly so!

Oh yeah, Clannad. Not much of a surprise now that I think about it. I thought the first series was mostly dreadful, so I decided to give After Story a wide berth, despite the general "it's much better" opinion. Upon finding out how the show ended, I'm doubly glad I didn't watch it.

ilmaestro said:
How would you rather I had done it?

I would prefer something with less extreme weightings, maybe 10 points for making a list, and a further point for every position above 10 it reaches. (Basically your system with an extra nine points per vote). Its still weighted, but it has the moderately nice attribute that any 2 votes for a series is worth more than any single vote.

Not that it matters now.

That's a point (completely unrelated to anything anyone just said), there's no Eva or Gurren Lagann.

Another point is that If I were anywhere else, I wouldn't have found After Story surprising. AUKN though? I'm rather surprised, its not very buzzy considering its position.

Back