AUKN's Best of the Decade - Results and Discussion

sic vita est said:
Away from the forums for a few days and look what I miss...

Well, ilmaestro's first post implied that there's at least one more movie due up. If forced to guess, I'd go with Durarara!!, something from Kon or Hosoda, and Sword of the Stranger may be in with a shout. There's a particular title I'll be hugely disappointed not to see listed, but hey, it's all subjective anyways.

In the end I abstained from voting after realising I'd only watched sixteen shows that would qualify, five of which belong nowhere near this list and two of which are on it so far.

What!? I thought this was a series only list, I didn't realize movies were allowed as well! This makes matters much, much worse!

Spirited away, Tokyo godfathers, Millenium actress!!? These three films at the very least should be on any respectable best of the decade list. However seeing as there is only one place left now, it is a complete impossiblity, and even then we're ignoring anime like Champloo, 2nd gig, mushishi and so on.

As for the results so far, well while I've never seen Monticristo(as it's never been released over here) it does sound like it might actually deserve it's place. But Code Geass, seriously? All I'm gonna do about that one is make an arrogant, nerdy snorting sound.

As for Clannad I've never actually heard of it, but my very brief google search didn't fill me with hope. Wasn't it based on a video game, and doesn't the maker of said video game usually make erotic games? Then there's the creepy looking school girl with insect anntenna's, and then theres this picture:

c0052350_47eb4d1c7c84d.jpg

The "Dodge" flag is well and truley raised for me, this is the second best anime of the decade? But then I am being completely Judgmental and jumping to conclusions in my usual style.

Well at least if Naruto doesn't get the number one spot that will a small consolation for me.

So far, only one show here that I voted for, although four made it to my shortlist, and another one to my longlist.

Never seen Clannad, although if it's anything like Kanon, I can see why it would be popular. Never seen Geass either, although if it has mecha in it, which I believe it does, it wouldn't have made it anywhere near my list, unless it was absolutely spectacular.

Not even Eva is that spectacular. I don't like mecha.

As for Gurren Lagann. Maybe if there was a worse anime of the decade poll. God I hate that show.

vashdaman said:
The "Dodge" flag is well and truley raised for me, this is the second best anime of the decade? But then I am being completely Judgmental and jumping to conclusions in my usual style.

I can understand alot of people wondering why the hell this is on the list and I voted for it not for the reason it's a unoriginal harem moe anime.

Like fabricatedlunatic said the first season of Clannad isn't very memorable, I wouldn't say that the season is dreadful, its good but it doesn't stray from that typical High School formula.

What ~After Story~ did (after episode eight) was it took a big risk with the storyline and executed it so well, for that reason I had to rate it as one of my favourite romantic dramas.

I did not have either Gankutsuou or Clannad - After Story in my top 10.

Gankutsuou I did not like after watching episode 1 on a Newtype USA cover disc.

As for Clannad After Story - there were a few episodes which counted against it. Having a recap episode after the series end was a waste of time. Also the whole daughter/wife dying then not dying seemed like a copout (a bit like Dallas series 8 not that I ever watched Dallas).

Like one or two others I did not include any movies. It was enough trouble trying to cut the series down to 10 (at one point I had a list of around 20 - 30). If I had included any movies Metropolis is the most likely to had made it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats fair enough, I think if I had voted it probably would have been just series, as I would have had too many to choose from if I included movies too. I guess maybe a lot of people did it like this as well, which is why we are missing so many great movies.

vashdaman, you confuse me. Everything about you says Bleach and K-ON!! should be your favourite shows when you're not kicking back with a beer down the pub with mates.

Explain yourself: have you actually seen a lot (or any) of what you are criticising?

Jayme said:
vashdaman, you confuse me. Everything about you says Bleach and K-ON!! should be your favourite shows when you're not kicking back with a beer down the pub with mates.

Explain yourself: have you actually seen a lot (or any) of what you are criticising?

lol, darn how'd you find out?
Nah though, in all seriousness Bleach and K-ON(I don't even really know too much about k-on to be honest) are definitely not my favourite shows. And also"kicking back with a beer down the pub" :? what on earth did I do to give you the impression I was a Bleach Loving pub crawler(please tell me, so I can change!)

Anyway to answer your question yes and no. when it comes to something like Clannad, as I admitted I have seen none of it just a quick google search. But unfortunatley I have been subjected to a fair amount of Naruto, Bleach(which I often critisize) ect over the years. My friend used to try and get me into both of those series, and for a while I even tried to convince myself that they actually were good, but I just couldn't do it, they are bloody awful.

I have also seen enough Geass to know it really isn't my cuppa either, although I have to admit I do often jump to comclusions about shows that I have not even seen and I do sometimes get it wrong. However I believe I have been watching anime for long enough(and enough of it) to have a pretty good discerning eye when it comes to what kind of shows I'm gonna dislike.

But seriously Bleach thats a definite no no for me(not knocking anyone who likes it though, just taste init)

Nope I'm guilty there, I have not watched all of it, but what I did see really didn't compel me to stick with it, maybe I will watch it all one day to see for myself, but come on 4th best of the decade no way.

edit: @stu, I forgot to quote sorry.

I hope this list takes a sudden left turn and votes Kino's Journey or Hare + Guu for number one but I have a hideous feeling it's going to be Durarara or Highschool of the Dead.

Seriously... Clannad and yet no Spirited Away?

vashdaman said:
As for Clannad I've never actually heard of it, but my very brief google search didn't fill me with hope. Wasn't it based on a video game, and doesn't the maker of said video game usually make erotic games? Then there's the creepy looking school girl with insect anntenna's, and then theres this picture:
It's half and half for Key/Visual Art's.
Clannad Afterstory is top 10 on MAL(4), ANN (2), and the one that you use to search for fansubs(7). Not surprising it placed high, bit odd you haven't heard of it.
Where were you last decade. Eroge adaptations have been growing hugely, there's 100+ almost all post 2000, and several very highly regarded (Kanon, ef, Fate/Stay Night etc.). Compared to 150+ based on bishoujoge in general (50 without adult content in the original).

Pleanty of good anime based on eroge. Even more are made by the same staff.

Jiindama said:
ilmaestro said:
How would you rather I had done it?

I would prefer something with less extreme weightings, maybe 10 points for making a list, and a further point for every position above 10 it reaches. (Basically your system with an extra nine points per vote). Its still weighted, but it has the moderately nice attribute that any 2 votes for a series is worth more than any single vote.

Not that it matters now.
I did consider that when I thought I was only going to receive ~ten or twelve lists, but with the number of votes I received series only polling one first place vote came in something like a tie for 41st (I mentioned the exact number earlier). Eventually, I decided that whilst being voted *at all* is a pretty big thing in a list like this, being voted towards the top of a list means the show was probably always going to make that person's list, whereas something that makes the 8-10 spot was likely interchangable with maybe twenty or more other shows (I know this was the case for me), so I wanted to reward shows as much as possible for making a truly big impact on people. This didn't stop Black Lagoon from coming so highly despite only two people rating it in their top five, and in that context I would have felt uncomfortable with a show being able to finish much higher than Black Lagoon did without anyone even considering it the best show of the decade.

Jayme said:
Another point is that If I were anywhere else, I wouldn't have found After Story surprising. AUKN though? I'm rather surprised, its not very buzzy considering its position.
Yup, I actually considered mentioning this in my little commentary bit, but the way I'd phrased it was a little... er... "accusatory" towards the forum in general, so I nixed it.

vashdaman said:
and then theres this picture:
You're right.

It should have been higher.

And now, the end is near, our last mission is to deliver the winner to its people...

A franchise that has, in some ways, dominated two decades of not just anime and manga but many titles in Western entertainment, too, the TV series of which began in 2002...

1 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Sci-fi, cyberpunk, metaphysics, politics, action, thriller, character study. What is there that this show doesn't have? Finishing virtually as far clear of second place as our second place finisher did of tenth, GitS is overwhelmingly AUKN's best show of the last decade.

--

Random statistic: Of shows with multiple votes, the one with the lowest average score was Kino's Journey.

ilmaestro said:
And now, the end is near, our last mission is to deliver the winner to its people...

A franchise that has, in some ways, dominated two decades of not just anime and manga but many titles in Western entertainment, too, the TV series of which began in 2002...

1 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Sci-fi, cyberpunk, metaphysics, politics, action, thriller, character study. What is there that this show doesn't have? Finishing virtually as far clear of second place as our second place finisher did of tenth, GitS is overwhelmingly AUKN's best show of the last decade.

--

Random statistic: Of shows with multiple votes, the one with the lowest average score was Kino's Journey.
no surprise there even though im only on episode 5 of 1st gig its already awesome

Only two of my list made it to the top ten in the end.

Full Metal Alchemist and GITS: SAC.

The freaky thing is that on my list they were at 10 and 1, which is just the same as the on the final collated top ten as well.

Back