AUKN's Best of the Decade - Results and Discussion

o_O Thanks for the stats! :)
I watched Welcome To The NHK right after I'd submitted my votes, and I think it would have supplanted my number 10, which would then have got it in to the actual top (Though I would have voted for Spirited Away, if I realised we were doing films too. Which then makes my statement redundant....)

Just because what you wanted ain't at number 1 ryo? Pff.

All in all, a good list and the other stats are pretty interesting also. I dunno why it surprises me, but Bakemonogatari being spotted in here and there and top of last year even surprised me a little. I guess i wasn't expecting so many people to vote for it.

Also just noticed, Moribito also got a #1 vote? i thought i'd be the only one to put that in my list at all, hah.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
I are sad at lack of Kon inclusions =( But I'm glad that a few of my votes got through.

Meh, don't get me wrong Kon films are an absolute gem, a work of art, but there are still anime that have had a bigger impact than them.

Personally, Parprika would probably come 11 or 12 on my list, still pretty high.

I don't know, Kon's films have actually had a pretty big impact. You could argue that someting like Naruto has had a bigger effect on the popular landscape of anime. But Kon's films regardless have pretty much broken more ground for anime than nearly any other title on this list.

ilmaestro said:
Maxon said:
maes, I just realised you did not correct me on putting Gunbuster in my list instead of Diebuster. I don't think an anime from the 80s qualifies for this. >_>
I put it down as "Gunbuster vs Diebuster", as I assumed that whilst people might accidentally slip a 1999 series in there, there was little chance of anyone being that stupid. :p
I like to exceed expectations.

mangaman74 said:
Maybe the people who watched Bakemonogatari did not vote.
Nope.
It's stylistic but lacks rewatch value. That would mean I put it behind; Angel Beats!, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the movie 1st*, Nanoha Striker S*, Code Geass (season 1), Hoshi no Koe, Higurashi... it was good for 2009, but it wasn't even my favourite that season (I gave Saki #3).

Might be that those that watched it are those that have seen more series total, so put in more older stuff.

*A's was in there anyway and I want season 1 excuded.

Jayme said:
Is rewatch value what we define enjoyment and quality by now? I respectfully disagree but haven't given it much thought yet.
Good metric for enjoyment, you don't rewatch stuff you didn't like.
Nothing in it made me go "that bit/ep was awsome, I want to see it again". (excepting the OPs/EDs)

Rewatched half of bakemonogatari, rewatched all of Clannad/ afterstory 5 times or so.

I dunno...

I reckon Barefoot Gen is one of the better anime films out there, but I don't have any motivation to watch it on a regular basis. Too harrowing.

On the other hand, Love Hina is a guilty pleasure of mine that I can readily watch at the drop of a hat, but I don't pretend that it is one of the top tier of anime titles.

Yeah, exactly. I can watch fluff all the time, but I'm rarely in the mood to watch The Shawshank Redemption or even The Wire. Something being "awesome" I understand, I will probably rewatch "awesome" stories but certainly not ones that make me choke up and want to die out of depression*. It doesn't take anything away from their greatness, the best stories are the ones you feel for, but its not always smiles and laughter in these things.

*I still can't bring myself to watch "The Body" (Buffy) again.

Sorry, I suck at using anime examples. :/

Interesting list. After re-reading it, I found only one of my choices made it in. It probably reflects what the average UK anime fan would watch (especially if you compare it to what Neo magazine covers).

Thanks for the effort put in Ilmaestro.

Ryo Chan said:
i still say this is more fixxed than a African election run :D (no racism intended)
Yes, I was particularly careful to add a show I have never seen in the runner-up spot to throw you off the scent.

Arbalest said:
I dunno why it surprises me, but Bakemonogatari being spotted in here and there and top of last year even surprised me a little. I guess i wasn't expecting so many people to vote for it.
I also didn't think it was a show too many people had watched, or at least not gone back and watched the finished version of, and the extra episodes, which would hurt it for a lot of people. I think it's the kind of show that would gather a lot of votes if it had had a proper release in the West, even in the US. That said, it was easily the best new show of 2009, so I'm not surprised it did well amongst people who did vote for it. To confirm the subjective nature of its quality and rewatchability, I've seen it through three times effectively now, and watched all the character commentaries, and have no doubt I will watch it again in the future as we build towards the anime version of prequel and sequel series.

Genkina Hito said:
Thanks for the effort put in Ilmaestro.
It was my pleasure. :)

Interesting list, not sure if 1st and 2nd place could've been much more different.

In a way I'm surprised at GitS: SAC being so high up. Having watched it last year, it suffers a little from having a lot of filler: it's saved by the fact that those episodes have Shirow's universe to explore and expand on instead of being "tachikoma go to the hot springs!!".

Clannad After Story... haven't seen this as I can't get over the desire to see the characters punched repeatedly in the face (purely judging the character art), and it screams "contrived melodrama". Will put this (and Clannad itself) on my list, although I'm slightly concerned that it sounds like it's a love-hate series.

Whilst it's obvious people are using their own different criteria for judging (as the rewatch value = high score debate shows), I'm disappointed not to see Millennium Actress listed. I feel it's a show that transcends its anime genre and would happily show that to anyone I know, young and old alike. Maybe its themes are simply more resonant with slightly older viewers?

For what it's worth, I would've voted for Texhnolyze and Millennium Actress, but I've not finished many eligible shows (only sixteen in total).

sic vita est said:
For what it's worth, I would've voted for Texhnolyze and Millennium Actress, but I've not finished many eligible shows (only sixteen in total).

I think you should have voted (or rather, should in any future events!) even if you haven't seen that much. Even if your list might have to be a top five instead of a top ten or something if you don't have enough shows you consider worthy yet.

Millennium Actress was on my list, but so were quite a few things which didn't rank highly in the end result. Kon films may suffer somewhat from people only wanting to include one of his works each, but each having different favourites. I think that Millennium Actress may be a little bewildering and subtle to stick in the minds of a lot of fans or to be watched on impulse, but it is probably my personal favourite Kon film.

R

I did suggest to sic to vote anyway, but I can understand why you might not want to in that situation.

Rui said:
Kon films may suffer somewhat from people only wanting to include one of his works each, but each having different favourites.
I think this is supported somewhat by my "franchise" ranking, but fwiw Paranoia Agent was easily his highest placing indivdual thing. I will try to paste the full list in here when I remember (and have the list to hand/mouse).

Full list of shows, in finishing order:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
CLANNAD AFTER STORY
Code Geass
Gankutsuou
Black Lagoon
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu
Baccano!
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Full Metal Panic