AUKN Meetups: Have we actually had one?

Tachi said:
Spyro - just because we've agreed to meet up so many times yet one thing or another stops it everytime.

I'm sure another co-ordinated effort may be able to fix this!

I've met quite a few from here at the Expo though. I missed the October one this year sadly though.

Just thought I'd let people know that as part of my effort to get out and do things (which has been an incredibly rare occurrence over the past couple of years) I'm going to be in London on the 23rd and 24th of March if Chaos wants to berate me in person for being such a terrible reviewer or Vash wants to have that argum... debate over a pint. First time I've been in about fifteen years, I think.

Knowing it and using it are two different things... You'll not find many people who talk like that now, but I understood the vast majority of it having had older family members who used a fair bit of East Cleveland Dialect in their speech, then growing up in the Dales (this also seems to have enabled me to understand a lot of Scottish accents and dialect other people I know struggle with, there's probably some common heritage there).

I do like it, it's a very old dialect with a lot of Norse influence - it'll probably die out and only the accent remain eventually. I can remember my Grandad using words that never get used any more. I do find it amusing that there might be other English speakers who need subtitles to understand Yorkshire. :lol:

GolGotha said:
I don't know why, but I had you in my head as a Londoner.....
Possibly because I'm quite frank and outspoken? Yorkshiremen and Londoners can be easily conflated in those terms...

That's probably it, haha!

I'm a tour guide and we often have pickup points in yorkshire and I can't understand anything they say (or type, gosh.....some of them have me on facebook and it's all illegible) :lol:

That video is great. I love all the comments from people abroad astonished when they recognise unexpected words in the guy's speech :D

I never picked up any proper Yorkshire dialect myself either (spent my whole childhood there, but not in the rural parts). It's tempting to learn for the curiosity value but now all of my older relatives have died there'd be nobody to use it with.

R

ayase said:
I'm going to be in London on the 23rd and 24th of March if Chaos wants to berate me in person for being such a terrible reviewer or Vash wants to have that argum... debate over a pint.
Invite me please. I am most instrumental at preventing the topic of conversation from being too relevant.

ayase said:
Just thought I'd let people know that as part of my effort to get out and do things (which has been an incredibly rare occurrence over the past couple of years) I'm going to be in London on the 23rd and 24th of March if Chaos wants to berate me in person for being such a terrible reviewer or Vash wants to have that argum... debate over a pint. First time I've been in about fifteen years, I think.

Ah I missed this post. Yes I'm definitely down for a little meet up, and all the more better if my forum hero Zinki can come too! Though be warned, while I'm probably no less opinionated in the flesh than I am online, I may be slightly more quiet than one might expect from reading my posts...or maybe I'm not ahaha, I really don't know.

Anyone else from the forum whose about town should come too!

I'm only 30 mins away from Kings Cross on the train, so I could always pop down....? I know I'm not that known on here, but it would make it less of a sausage fest :p

......Now I just have to hope that the people mentioned are male

Let's do this thing. Here's me thinking perhaps I'll meet one, maybe two AUKNers and so far I have what, five?

What have I done!?

I'm currently thinking aft/eve of Saturday the 23rd (to give me some time to myself on the 24th) :p but if that doesn't suit I can always do things the other way around. Will have to check my train times again...

Back