Asian Cinema Thread

I've just pre-ordered The Police Story Trilogy from Eureka, was the cheapest place (so far)
Zavvi is currently £59.99 (but wouldn't trust them with it) so Amazon will most likely price match.
I've ordered from Amazon just incase it takes a crazy dip in price but if not I'll also order direct from Eureka closer to the date as they take money upfront.

Zavvi is currently £59.99 (but wouldn't trust them with it) so Amazon will most likely price match.
I've ordered from Amazon just incase it takes a crazy dip in price but if not I'll also order direct from Eureka closer to the date as they take money upfront.
I forgot about Zavvi lol.. I might pre-order from Amazon as well since they don't take any money..

Looks like in a weird twist 88 Films have got the US rights to Police Story 3 which most likely explains the awful UK cover on the single release when Kung Fu Bob did a brand new cover for the 4K case.

Eureka's got more titles planned for August 2022 and one of them is the last of the teased Asian film announcements from late 2021 with Angela Mao: Hapkido & Lady Whirlwind collection. Artwork etc is expected to appear later today.

UPDATE:

FU0OG6cX0AEB98i

Last edited:
As an FYI, 88Film’s deluxe edition of Black Cat is close to selling out on their store (less than 50 units remaining according to a recent FB post.) I decided to pick it up alongside the deluxe edition for The Seventh Curse. Used £5 worth of reward points and almost got the equivalent back from the order which is nice.

unknown.png

Amazon accidently leaked Arrow's ShawScope Volume 2 (of many, yes more is incoming) which includes 14 films.

Disc 1: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (new 4K restoration)
Disc 2: Return of the 36th Chamber + Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Disc 3: Mad Monkey Kung Fu + Five Superfighters (new 2K restorations for both films)
Disc 4: Invincible Shaolin + The Kid with the Golden Arm (new 2K restorations for both films)
Disc 5: Magnificent Ruffians + Ten Tigers of Kwangtung (new 2K restorations for both films)
Disc 6: My Young Auntie
Disc 7: Mercenaries from Hong Kong + The Boxer's Omen (new 2K restorations for both films)
Disc 8: Martial Arts of Shaolin + The Bare-Footed Kid

Release of the year incoming...

61-BMzSnY3L._AC_SL800_.jpg

71dJLgxdiwL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Third Window have finally announced details of their much-anticipated boxset Nobuhiko Obayashi's 80s Kadokawa Years.

Amazon Pre-Order

A limited edition 4 disc digipack bluray set of 4 films from legendary Japanese director Nobuhiko Obayashi.

Limited to just 2000 copies and includes a booklet by Ren Scateni and Joseph Kime.

Disc 1: School in the Crosshairs ねらわれた学園 (1981)

Special Features:
Selected audio commentary by Aaron Gerow
Interview with Chigumi Obayashi
Translation Notes by Owen Baron
Original Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time 時をかける少女 (1983)

Special Features:
Archival interview with Nobuhiko Obayashi
Tomoyo Harada Story: Audition and Behind the Scenes
Music Video

Disc 3: The Island Closest to Heaven 天国にいちばん近い島 (1984)

Special Features:
Audio Commentary by Samm Deighan
Video Essay: “Obayashi - Femininity in Transition” by Robert Edwards

Disc 4: His Motorbike, Her Island 彼のオートバイ、彼女の島 (1986)

Special Features:
Audio Commentary by Tom Mes
Archival interview with Nobuhiko Obayashi

As an FYI for people interested, 88 Films Tiger Cage Trilogy has completely sold out on their site.
Still available elsewhere put wouldn't expect it to last long with all the reverse imports of it.

Just found this thread.

My most recent favourites are

New World. A little bit of Infernal Affairs.

The Gangster, The Cop and the Devil.
Loved it. A classic. For me.
Anything with Don Lee.
Bad Guys was great on Netflix.

Takeshi Kitano.
Ryuzo and the 7 Henchmen.
Off the wall humour and a delight seeing the very old guys fighting against the march of time. Found out what a toilet samurai is.

The Outrage trilogy. I'll be wearing out the discs soon. Kitano and Yakuza.
Amazing.

US version of Magnificent Warriors.
Please excuse me while I go cry while thinking about the Eureka release we're getting that'll most likely feature some weird uncanny looking Michelle Yeoh surrounded buy a bright splash of paint on a gray background...... 😢

20220819_191829.jpg

91PeEbVTQqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Category III film Ebola Syndrome is coming to the UK uncut for the first time, looks like it won't be getting the deluxe collector's treatment like the previous films have done though. Scheduled for October.

Ebola Syndrome is certainly one I’d be interested in getting though it’s a shame we aren’t getting a UHD release as the US has one via Vinegar Syndrome. Likewise with a couple of the other titles being unveiled.

Category III film Ebola Syndrome is coming to the UK uncut for the first time, looks like it won't be getting the deluxe collector's treatment like the previous films have done though. Scheduled for October.
Given how he contracts the virus, the uncut part is surprising... It's a very messed up film full of gore & sexual violence that I thought was banned outright in the UK.

I haven't bought steak from a restaurant since!

Wow this getting an uncut release is kinda crazy!
I'm by no means a prude, but I may actually give this a miss as I'm not the biggest fan of this and similar ones (The Untold Story & Dr. Lamb) every though Anthony Wong is ridiculously good as a psychopath.

As always amazing KF Bob artwork!!

Back