Asian Cinema Thread

No worries! Hopefully 88Films will put out their own press releases for these upcoming titles soon.
Yeah I was looking for information on whether Dragons Forever had been dleayed. I eventually found an obscure forum post saying it had but it took a bit of work.

I figure if 88 films are making 4k releases it's a good opportunity to start collecting their Jackie Chan line (and upgrade my old DVDs). Not that I'm opposed to buying blu-rays but I'm exceedingly late to the party there lol.

I figure if 88 films are making 4k releases it's a good opportunity to start collecting their Jackie Chan line (and upgrade my old DVDs). Not that I'm opposed to buying blu-rays but I'm exceedingly late to the party there lol.
Speaking of Jackie Chan, there's going to be a re-release of one of the first four films 88 Films put out back in late 2018-early 2019, which is apparently going to be Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin.

Speaking of Jackie Chan, there's going to be a re-release of one of the first four films 88 Films put out back in late 2018-early 2019, which is apparently going to be Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin.
Fingers crossed for Snake & Crane as that's the only one I haven't tracked down!

Time for a proper update on the upcoming slate from each distributor. There's also going to be some Japanese films I believe coming soon from new distributor Radiance Films so keep an eye out for them.

88 Films:
Date:Name:Director:Year:Language:Format:
26th Sept​
On the Run
Alfred Cheung​
1988​
CantoneseBlu-ray
Deluxe Edition
26th Sept​
The Seventh Curse
Nam Nai Choi​
1986​
CantoneseBlu-ray
24th Oct​
Dragons Forever
Sammo Hung​
1988​
Cantonese4K Ultra HD
Deluxe Edition
[Jackie Chan]
24th Oct​
Ebola Syndrome
Herman Yau​
1996​
CantoneseBlu-ray
[Category III]
24th Oct​
Righting Wrongs (Above the Law)
Corey Yuen​
1986​
CantoneseBlu-ray
Deluxe Edition
14th Nov​
The Iceman Cometh
Clarence Fok​
1989​
CantoneseBlu-ray
Deluxe Edition
12th Dec​
Gorgeous
Vincent Kok​
1999​
CantoneseBlu-ray
[Jackie Chan]
12th Dec​
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin
Chen Chi Hwa​
1978​
MandarinBlu-ray
Deluxe Edition
[Jackie Chan]

Arrow Video:
21st Nov​
Shawscope Volume Two:
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Return of the 36th Chamber
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
Five Superfighters
Invincible Shaolin
The Kid with the Golden Arm
Magnificent Ruffians
Ten Tigers of Kwangtung
My Young Auntie
Mercenaries from Hong Kong
The Boxer's Omen
Martial Arts of Shaolin
The Bare-Footed Kid
Lau Kar-leung
Lo Mar
Chang Cheh
Wong Jing
Kuei Chih-hung
Johnnie To​
1978-1993​
MandarinBlu-ray
Limited Edition
[Shaw Brothers]

Cine Asia:
29th Aug​
Shattered Earth
Jun Lee​
2021​
MandarinDVD
31st Oct​
The Battle at Water Gate Bridge (The Battle at Lake Changjin II)
Chen Kaige
Tsui Hark
Dante Lam​
2022​
MandarinBlu-ray
5th Dec​
The Killer: A Girl Who Deserves to Die
Jae-Hoon Choi​
2022​
KoreanBlu-ray

Criterion:
17th Oct​
Take Out
Sean Baker
Shih-Ching Tsou​
2004​
Mandarin & EnglishBlu-ray
14th Nov​
In the Mood for Love
Wong Kar-Wai​
2000​
CantoneseBlu-ray
[US has 4K Ultra HD]
28th Nov​
The Infernal Affairs Trilogy
Andrew Lau
Alan Mak​
2002-2003​
CantoneseBlu-ray

Eureka Entertainment:
26th Sept​
The Police Story Trilogy
Jackie Chan
Stanley Tong​
1985-1992​
Cantonese4K Ultra HD
Limited Edition
26th Sept​
Police Story 3: Supercop
Stanley Tong​
1992​
CantoneseBlu-ray
First Print Edition
3rd Oct​
Angela Mao: Hapkido and Lady Whirlwind
Huang Feng​
1972​
CantoneseBlu-ray
First Print Edition
--​
Magnificent Warriors
David Chung​
1987​
CantoneseBlu-ray
--​
Royal Warriors (In the Line of Duty)
David Chung​
1986​
CantoneseBlu-ray
--​
Yes, Madam! (In the Line of Duty II/Police Assassins)
Corey Yuen​
1985​
CantoneseBlu-ray

Signature:
28th NovThe Witch: Part 2. The Other OnePark Hoon-jung2022KoreanBlu-ray

Third Window Films:
17th Oct​
Nobuhiko Obayashi's 80s Kadokawa Years:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
His Motorbike, Her Island
The Island Closest to Heaven
School in the Crosshairs
Nobuhiko Obayashi​
1981-1986​
JapaneseBlu-ray
Limited Edition
--​
Suicide Club
Sion Sono​
2001​
JapaneseBlu-ray

Regarding Eureka's Police Story 4K Trilogy set (along with an unboxing)
I'd love to know the circumstances around why the KP Bob covers were dropped! I have a feeling we'll never find out though.
Is it a contract thing or is it simply a printing error and they didn't print the reversible covers by accident and cant do a reprint as its already finished and in their hands?

The set looks nice but I wish they’d used thin black cases like the recent Tiger Cage Trilogy release from 88Films.

Gotta say its been awhile since Eureka used OG artwork on one of their martial arts slipcovers.
I was 100% expecting them to carry on the style started with Mr. Vampire and Spooky Encounters.

Eureka Dead and the Deadly.jpg

So I haven't really kept up with the recent news regarding Bey Logan working with 88 Films but it all seems to have gone tits up for them in the last day or so with most of their contributors cutting ties!
I feel its only a matter of time before Kung Fu Bob steps away from them too.
How did they not realise this would happen?! Seems like they've nuked their Asian cinema pipeline...

So I haven't really kept up with the recent news regarding Bey Logan working with 88 Films but it all seems to have gone tits up for them in the last day or so with most of their contributors cutting ties!
I feel its only a matter of time before Kung Fu Bob steps away from them too.
How did they not realise this would happen?! Seems like they've nuked their Asian cinema pipeline...
Yeah I saw a lot of the discussion going on. It is damaging, especially when they were getting better on their content. I do think they'll recover but will probably delay their 2023 Asian sets to ensure they can rebuild their relations with their contributors first.

And yes, hiring someone who has done sexual things to people is one of the dumbest things you could ever do in a business like this, especially when one of the victims is still getting harassed to this date.

Yeah I saw a lot of the discussion going on. It is damaging, especially when they were getting better on their content. I do think they'll recover but will probably delay their 2023 Asian sets to ensure they can rebuild their relations with their contributors first.

And yes, hiring someone who has done sexual things to people is one of the dumbest things you could ever do in a business like this, especially when one of the victims is still getting harassed to this date.
I saw the .jpg apology, I appreciate they've backtracked but it did come off a little 'fine we'll bin the plans here's some stuff we're releasing next year' 😂

I did notice most people said they'd 'put on hold' working with them not outright walk away so I think they were waiting for them to U turn...

I kinda feel bad for Eureka, if they put out their releases of ITLOD earlier they'd have got the usual 'yeah cover art is fine, faces look a bit weird' but coming after 88 films showed their US collection... its a straight KO and clearly in another league.

20221027_161515.jpg
20221027_161510.jpg
Screenshot_20221027-161847_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20221027-161859_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20221027-161908_Instagram.jpg

All of them look great! - I’ll be getting them all from both Eureka and 88 :D
I want to support both but with everything how it is I can only preorder one and the 88 version is the easy choice, especially with Eurekas ITLOD 3&4 rumoured to be a double pack like Warriors Two & Prodigal Son.
I will try and pick them all up when they're on sale though!

Last edited:
Back