Another thread about 4chan

Derfel said:
In addition, I have to say that the forum design of AUKN2 is piss.

i just did a basic set up, i'm not running it, so it's not like i care how it looks, if anyone wants it, take it :D

besides, it's not that bad for a 2 minute piece of work

I understand the admins are unashamedly biased, and fond of hypocrisy, but I'd like to point out just that: On this horrifically unfunny joke, AUKN2, there has been posted some rather graphic insults about me. I genuinely do not care, because I understand this is the internet, but it's peculiar that this kind of behaviour is a-ok with Rui and chaos, but my behaviour which is comparably less insulting gets an official warning. I wonder if AUKN2 was criticising the admins, would it still be ok? I somehow doubt it ;]

CitizenGeek said:
I understand the admins are unashamedly biased, and fond of hypocrisy, but I'd like to point out just that: On this horrifically unfunny joke, AUKN2, there has been posted some rather graphic insults about me. I genuinely do not care, because I understand this is the internet, but it's peculiar that this kind of behaviour is a-ok with Rui and chaos, but my behaviour which is comparably less insulting gets an official warning. I wonder if AUKN2 was criticising the admins, would it still be ok? I somehow doubt it ;]

as i said CG, ur more than welcome to take control of the site and do as you wish with it, that was the general idea,

pm me and i'll give you full account access, apart from creating it, editing 1 forum and posting it, i've not even had a second look

Rui said:
Tangentially trolling often has the effect of causing people other than the actual troll to get banned, because the troll functions by winding everyone else up so much that they end up breaking the rules themselves to hit back in a heightened emotional state. Hence the common expression online, "do not feed the trolls".

I just found it surprising that Aion's bad behaviour and the resulting ban was, in fact, my fault. I must take this opportunity to thank chaos for pointing out this fact because I - being as uncommonly silly and all as I am - thought that Aion himself was responsible for his own homophobia and dismal forum conduct (which is what Paul said he was banned for, too. Who'd a thunk Paul was as ill-informed as I? Perhaps you ought to inform him of this, too). Imagine that! :]

CitizenGeek said:

What? You suggest they should ban people because they've posted defamatory information about you elsewhere? Don't be kidding.

CitizenGeek said:
I was going to properly reply, but then chaos more or less blamed me for the bad behaviour of another member, and then blamed me for the banning of that member; thus I realised that the administration is now intrinsically biased and unreasonable and there is no point in attempting to use reason with those who are so stunningly irrational. The attempted joke that is AUKN2 was embarrassingly unfunny (and I mean, I actually physically cringed), too, and that rather put me off this discussion entirely.
We could go back and count the number of times you've done this too.

"This conversation isn't going the way I want it to so I will blame someone else for my refusal to respond to even fair criticism of my arguments"

I'm still waiting for those examples of how the forum is being run into the ground, CG. All threads I've seen closed have been closed for insults or attacks, not debate. I don't think attempting to secure your future by baiting the admins is a very sensible course of action either. As for Rui's point about trolling, I've always thought moderators should be troll killers rather than sign erectors, but that's for them to decide, not me. ;)

ayase said:
CitizenGeek said:
I was going to properly reply, but then chaos more or less blamed me for the bad behaviour of another member, and then blamed me for the banning of that member; thus I realised that the administration is now intrinsically biased and unreasonable and there is no point in attempting to use reason with those who are so stunningly irrational. The attempted joke that is AUKN2 was embarrassingly unfunny (and I mean, I actually physically cringed), too, and that rather put me off this discussion entirely.
We could go back and count the number of times you've done this too.

"This conversation isn't going the way I want it to so I will blame someone else for my refusal to respond to even fair criticism of my arguments"

I'm still waiting for those examples of how the forum is being run into the ground, CG. All threads I've seen closed have been closed for insults or attacks, not debate. I don't think attempting to secure your future by baiting the admins is a very sensible course of action either. As for Rui's point about trolling, I've always thought moderators should be troll killers rather than sign erectors, but that's for them to decide, not me. ;)

all mods can do is delete, edit and move posts though in the end.

not a clue what you mean by sign erectors though :?

Where does this perception that mods give warning come from?

Moderator jobs are just that, moderating, removing garbage, cleaning up posts, and letting people know if they are disobaying rules.

Sure we'll report posts that have broken rules but the decision of how to deal with it isn't a moderator or Admin issue, it's a group one that's voted on

I haven't even looked at the joke board once since I can't view it on this machine. I don't believe it has anything to do with me though? Feel free to make a Rui account if someone hasn't already and make "me" deal with it. I'm not punishing people here if they, or people posing at them, say bad things about someone somewhere else. I'm just a forum admin, not the internet police.

Anyway back to work, will deal with further fallout later.

R

Okay sorry Ryo, I meant admins rather than mods. By signs I meant the phrase "Don't Feed The Trolls". You can put a sign up saying "Beware of the Tiger" but really, it would be safer for all concerned if the tiger was just shot.

Not that I am in any way condoning violence towards an endangered species.

I wonder if AUKN2 was criticising the admins, would it still be ok? I somehow doubt it ;]
Well then LET'S FIND OUT!

maybe the evil dictator chaos could start editing peoples avatars and replacing it with this

DoNotFeedTroll.jpg

ayase said:
I'm still waiting for those examples of how the forum is being run into the ground, CG.

Here, here, here and here. (Notice most of them are Aion's thread, but I suppose it's my fault they were locked, right chaos?) Also, both of the threads I made in the feedback forum were locked. I do not see any legitimate reason that any of these threads were locked. Were it not for the fact that I am expressly criticising the overzealous locking by Rui, this thread would have been locked long ago too. I'm surprised the smoking thread hasn't been locked on the grounds that "someone, somewhere might at some stage become/has been offended by it".

Rather than just allowing conflicts to solve themselves (which happenend all the time before Rui decided everyone on AUKN is just too sensitive to witness a few measly arguments), the admins are stopping the discussion, allowing disagreements to build into dislike because no one can vent. I used to hate Aion, but we argued through it, and I get him now. I don't particularly like him (at all), but I understand him. That wouldn't have happened under Rui, because the threads in which we worked it out (through arguing) would have been locked without a second thought.

But there's no real point discussing whether these threads were locked for a good reason or not with you, ayase, you're clearly biased (you've called for my banning).

Also: Motion to have Ryo Chan and Arbalest swap positions with Rui and chaos. All those in favour? :p

I'm sorry but this is all rather pathetic now. If you don't like a guy and want him to leave, don't draw attention to him by taking advantage of the fact no-one likes the person by going on for pages attacking and talking about him/her. It just shows you care, gives reason for the person you dislike to continue posting and makes the people arguing with him look stupid.

Did you attack him alone before this? Would you have done so if people hadn't started jumping on him?

I don't like CG, and I've shown it in the past, but there comes a time when enough is enough. If the admins feel he's disrupting the forum, issue a perm IP ban and leave it at that. If the normal posters truly dislike him, then ignore him.

Creating a separate forum to attack him isn't the way to get him to go away. There's a saying you should never feed a troll. While CG isn't a troll - he's just...the way he is - that phrase has meaning you guys should think about.

Also, FYI, I did troll CG for a period because of how much I dislike him. He was touchy about remarks regarding his sexuality and I used that against him. Because I was also sarcastic with newbies, Paul saw it fit to issue me with a 1 month ban, which was turned into a lifetime one after I kept making duplicate accounts to piss off Paul using a proxy. He let me back when I asked him to do so a few months later.

first off the 2nd of those posts has resulted in Aion recieiving a warning (and fair play to him, he's learnt from his his mistakes and proved everyone wrong that he couldn't be a valuable member here)

2ndly your posts were locked for perfectly good reasons, you made a suggestion, we decided against it, end of story, what's the point on keeping it open just so you could continue to moan about something that isn't going to change

And for the last time the fourm wasn't created to attack CG, but for his own personal use to do with as he pleases since he dislikes the admin staff here.

If he doesn't want to take it up and let others do what they want with it, that's his choice, and other users choices to do what they want on that forum, it's not our durastiction. if you don't like AUKN2 don't go to it, no ones forcing you to, if you dislike the hate there, go post hate back, no one will stop you.

it's a random pointless forum which at present has no ownership at at.

Anyway i'm done with this pointless arguing now, so the only time i'm going to even interfere with it is if anyone starts to break the rules, end of...

if you wish to take up any issues with myself or the rest of the forum staff, you know where the pm button is

ayase said:
Okay sorry Ryo, I meant admins rather than mods. By signs I meant the phrase "Don't Feed The Trolls". You can put a sign up saying "Beware of the Tiger" but really, it would be safer for all concerned if the tiger was just shot.

Not that I am in any way condoning violence towards an endangered species.

:lol:

Well, i find it strange that someone would believe that complaining about somebody insulting them on another forum would hold any weight here at all.

And the blame of another member being banned for their actions, which where incited by, said, individual’s malice. Was, directed accordingly. Unfortunately said person fails to understand, or rather chooses to deftly argue the point that it was their actions which where intended for a response, knowing that the responder would be banned.

It's been stated by many that this troublesome person has a few choices. So in my opinion we should ignore their plea (if they choose to) and instant ban until which point that they can prove to an administrator that they are civilized enough to rejoin the community.

Admin’s, the individual is banking on you to be soft and has already stated that he doubt’s you will ban him as you don’t want to seem strict. We’ll without telling you to do your jobs….i say cut the root of the problem out and use it as an example to others. We have a majority who agree with this measure so won’t see you as horrible strict people.

@CitizenGeek: All those topics are reasonably locked, and from what i can tell, easily explained too. Heck the first one on the list, about the school rant, was diverging to a topic about how killing was right, i'm sorry, but on a public forum, thats not really acceptable, its not giving off a good example either. Spambot topic? Again, explainable. It was obviously a direct jab at a member of the forum, and thats a bit much. Others where pre-emptive, we saw what could easily turn into a flame war or over-heated argument coming so we locked it in advance.

Also, i might add, we don't just lock topics straight off the bat, we usually post a warning in the topic in question to go back to the topic at hand or it will be closed, and more often than not it goes back to the topic, but when it doesn't, we can lock it.

I don't see where we've gone wrong at all, and to be honest, i wish you'd point it out in more detail, whether it be to me in a PM or whatever, since i've honestly got lost at the whole power hungry thing. I kinda hate the idea of it all. Respect too, i don't expect it straight off. As clichéd as i know this sounds "respect should be earned, not expected", and thats what i want, to earn respect amongst users here.

And with that, i'll disappear back into the darkness like i was beforehand.

CitizenGeek said:
I was going to properly reply, but then chaos more or less blamed me for the bad behaviour of another member, and then blamed me for the banning of that member
Considering what happened there, yes. I'm far from saying Aion is a saint and had no blame on what happened to him, but I believe it happened because of your behaviour as well.

CitizenGeek said:
I realised that the administration is now intrinsically biased and unreasonable and there is no point in attempting to use reason with those who are so stunningly irrational.
I'll just stop complaining about Rui et al who are completely spoiling this forum with the wanton crippling of heated debates (that most people seem to enjoy; those heated threads get the most replies, FWIW) through locking, bizarre hypocrisy ("use PMs, they're great! Just not for me") and shocking self-importance.
I understand the admins are unashamedly biased, and fond of hypocrisy
Do you want me to prove you rigth here?

CitizenGeek said:
I just found it surprising that Aion's bad behaviour and the resulting ban was, in fact, my fault. I must take this opportunity to thank chaos for pointing out this fact because I - being as uncommonly silly and all as I am
If that particular incident was the only one, yes. It seems to me that you enjoy pulling the worse out of people.

ayase said:
You can put a sign up saying "Beware of the Tiger" but really, it would be safer for all concerned if the tiger was just shot.
We created the rules - if we try and ignore those, then yes we are every bad thing he is accusing we are. But he can and I bet he will keep on trying me...

Guys, guys, calm down a little. I know this thread is getting people riled but contrary to what people seem to think I'm not calling for any particular action here (banning or otherwise). I was just stating my views on the often used "Don't Feed the Trolls" phrase. It applies to just about every forum and I for one don't expect the rules to change here or anywhere else just for my benefit.

Just to make it clear and make it public: Every member of the AUKN staff has my respect and gratitude for running this forum, and in my opinion have not done anything which has had a remotely negative on the forum since they took up their posts.

Back