Anime That is Cut in the UK: The Definitive Thread

Manga replaced music quite a bit in the 90s, though most of those dub tracks have been lost to time due to licensing. Cyber City Oedo 808 was one, as @RadFemHedonist mentioned, and AL have thankfully resurrected that.

Manga replaced all the music in the Space Adventure Cobra movie with songs by Yello, which works surprisingly well. That dub is only available on the original VHS and the French DVD.

They replaced Ko Otani's orchestral score for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe with some awful generic techno. I don't think that version had a release after VHS and it's no great loss.

The opening and ending songs in Dominion Tank Police were replaced, though I can't remember if the score was different too. I think the DVD has the Manga music on the dub track, but I can't remember for certain.

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 doesn't use One Minute Warning.
Space adventure Cobra movie didn't Discotek find the UK dub/music and put it on the 4K?
I seem to remember something about it.

They replaced Ko Otani's orchestral score for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe with some awful generic techno. I don't think that version had a release after VHS and it's no great loss.
The UK dub of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, with the techno music, was included on the now out-of-print complete collection by Arrow Films, and I believe that the currently in-print Showa Era, Heisei Era and Heisei Trilogy sets use the same discs from the complete collection for their respective sets.

But why is the Manga dub included on the French DVD of all releases?
The French release was a very old DVD, so probably before the music licence expired. The movie didn't get a UK DVD until about 2008, I think.
Space adventure Cobra movie didn't Discotek find the UK dub/music and put it on the 4K?
Not that I'm aware of, but I don't have it. They did try to obtain it for the blu-ray, but couldn't get the music licence.

The French release was a very old DVD, so probably before the music licence expired. The movie didn't get a UK DVD until about 2008, I think.

Not that I'm aware of, but I don't have it. They did try to obtain it for the blu-ray, but couldn't get the music licence.
Yep you were right, just checked a review of it.

Was this shot altered too?
timestamp 13:53
No, it's the same shot with a lit cigarette with smoke.

I would make the assumption that the original complaint about missing smoke in the opening was also not present when it first appeared in theatres. Now, I'm not saying that isn't what you should want or expect (to have the final version of the film), but it definitely isn't censorship or some worry about US TV broadcast standards being forced on to this movie.

Last edited:
No, it's the same shot with a lit cigarette with smoke.

I would make the assumption that the original complaint about missing smoke in the opening was also not present when it first appeared in theatres. Now, I'm not saying that isn't what you should want or expect (to have the final version of the film), but it definitely isn't censorship or some worry about US TV broadcast standards being forced on to this movie.
I mean it is, but it's very very very very small.

TMS has a history of preparing localized materials for overseas markets (e.g. Detective Conan scenes with local currency). It's possible that TMS (accidentally) provided a textless version of the opening titles that was intended for use in overseas markets with strict rules on tobacco.

TMS has a history of preparing localized materials for overseas markets (e.g. Detective Conan scenes with local currency). It's possible that TMS (accidentally) provided a textless version of the opening titles that was intended for use in overseas markets with strict rules on tobacco.
The MPAA have strict rules on tobacco use in movies screened in the cinema in the US, it can only be shown in period pieces. Lupin the First shouldn't fall foul of this though as the film is clearly set around the 1960s.

Cardcaptors - The Movie [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Carly McKillip, Rhys Huber, Matt Hill, Maggie Blue O'Hara, Tony Sampson, Sam Vincent, Brian Drummond, Linda Rae, Kelly Sheridan, Jocelyne Loewen, Andrew Francis, Janyse Jaud, Carly McKillip, Rhys Huber: DVD & Blu-ray

The DVD share the same name as the edited / censored US-DVDs, suggesting they include the same censorship?
Can someone verify for the movie (as it also got an uncut us dvd)

Another cut song would be Fly Me Too The Moon for Neon Genesis Evangelion from AL.

Last edited:
I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned but to my knowledge MVM release of Ergo Proxy most likely doesn't have the outro song Paranoid Android by Radiohead since the Funimation release didn't have it. Although I don't own MVMs release so I can't confirm it. Another cut song would be Fly Me Too The Moon for Neon Genesis Evangelion from AL.
The MVM Blu-ray release, using the Funimation discs does have Paranoid Android. It goes without saying that the DVDs have it as well. From what I can see, Funimation released the show twice on BD, 2016, and the Classics release in 2018. Maybe the discs got reauthored if they lost the rights to the end theme.

The MVM Blu-ray release, using the Funimation discs does have Paranoid Android. It goes without saying that the DVDs have it as well. From what I can see, Funimation released the show twice on BD, 2016, and the Classics release in 2018. Maybe the discs got reauthored if they lost the rights to the end theme.
Thanks for clearing this up I have been searching for information on this for awhile and couldn't find anything so just assumed they didn't have the rights because Radiohead is a huge band and I imagine that the rights to their songs cost quite a bit. My original post will be edited but the Evangelion point still stands.

Back