Anime That is Cut in the UK: The Definitive Thread

Neil.T

Titan
Cyber City Oedo 808 is the first example that comes to mind
Cyber City Oedo 808 was one, as @RadFemHedonist mentioned, and AL have thankfully resurrected that.
That's really interesting. I haven't watched my AL Blu-ray yet, so I've only see it in its Manga-dubbed form from when it was screened at Scotland Loves Anime a few years back.

I'll look out for the soundtrack differences. 👍

By contrast...
Manga replaced all the music in the Space Adventure Cobra movie with songs by Yello, which works surprisingly well. That dub is only available on the original VHS and the French DVD.
... I've only seen this in Japanese. The UK DVD I have includes a dub, but it's sadly not the Manga one, which I'd have loved to see because, based on the trailers, the Yello soundtrack seems like it really is a good fit.

But why is the Manga dub included on the French DVD of all releases? 🤨

Darren Skippings

School Idol
Manga replaced music quite a bit in the 90s, though most of those dub tracks have been lost to time due to licensing. Cyber City Oedo 808 was one, as @RadFemHedonist mentioned, and AL have thankfully resurrected that.

Manga replaced all the music in the Space Adventure Cobra movie with songs by Yello, which works surprisingly well. That dub is only available on the original VHS and the French DVD.

They replaced Ko Otani's orchestral score for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe with some awful generic techno. I don't think that version had a release after VHS and it's no great loss.

The opening and ending songs in Dominion Tank Police were replaced, though I can't remember if the score was different too. I think the DVD has the Manga music on the dub track, but I can't remember for certain.

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 doesn't use One Minute Warning.
Space adventure Cobra movie didn't Discotek find the UK dub/music and put it on the 4K?
I seem to remember something about it.

Magical Senshi

Straw Hat Pirate
They replaced Ko Otani's orchestral score for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe with some awful generic techno. I don't think that version had a release after VHS and it's no great loss.
The UK dub of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, with the techno music, was included on the now out-of-print complete collection by Arrow Films, and I believe that the currently in-print Showa Era, Heisei Era and Heisei Trilogy sets use the same discs from the complete collection for their respective sets.

Dai

Magical Girl
But why is the Manga dub included on the French DVD of all releases?
The French release was a very old DVD, so probably before the music licence expired. The movie didn't get a UK DVD until about 2008, I think.
Space adventure Cobra movie didn't Discotek find the UK dub/music and put it on the 4K?
Not that I'm aware of, but I don't have it. They did try to obtain it for the blu-ray, but couldn't get the music licence.

Darren Skippings

School Idol
The French release was a very old DVD, so probably before the music licence expired. The movie didn't get a UK DVD until about 2008, I think.

Not that I'm aware of, but I don't have it. They did try to obtain it for the blu-ray, but couldn't get the music licence.
Yep you were right, just checked a review of it.