1. Welcome to the new Anime UK News forums! Please view this thread for more information regarding your account and the forums. If you can't log in, your password has been blanked and will need to be reset.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime That is Cut in the UK: The Definitive Thread

Discussion in 'Anime Industry Discussion' started by Just Passing Through, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Just Passing Through

Just Passing Through Guild Member

It's a question that gets asked time and again recently on these forums. Is this anime cut.

So I figure maybe we should have a definitive list. Stick it in a FAQ somewhere so people can ignore it and ask anyway...

To my knowledge, these anime are cut by the BBFC in the UK.

CODE GEASS - LELOUCH OF THE REBELLION - R2 - TURN 10 - WHEN SHEN HU WINS GLORY 1s

That's one episode of Code Geass R2, 1 second is the smallest unit that the BBFC measures, the actual cut (of a sexually suggestive but not explicit image) is just a few frames, and this was accomplished by replacement, not excision.

EDIT: Confirmed from retail release, while the original Beez DVD release was cut, the subsequent Blu-ray debut and DVD re-release from Kaze is uncut.

PARANOIA AGENT V3 1m 20s

This is the most egregious cut in UK anime, and one that I hate. A scene of a child trying to hang herself in the Happy Family Planning episode is removed completely, a significant plot point.

IKKI TOUSEN - DRAGON DESTINY 2m49s

The actual show is uncut. What's missing is the 1st OVA episode in its entirety. A little girl groping adult women's breasts was enough to make the examiner's head explode.

NINJA SCROLL 53 seconds

The first DVD release of this was cut. The cuts were waived in 2004, so if you got the second DVD release (the two disc collection) you should be fine.

Urotsukidoji, Legend of the Overfiend and Return of the Overfiend are all cut. If you need to ask why, you should never watch it.

La Blue Girl is banned. La Blue Girl Returns is cut by over half an hour, cuts substituted for something less offensive... It is hentai after all.

The Darkness Series boxset

More Hentai

Alien of Darkess cut by 1m47s
    Mission of Darkess cut by 7m29s
    Idol of Darkness cut by 2m54s
    Spy of Darkness banned by the BBFC

If anyone can think of any other cuts, please post them here.

Updates...

The Wings of Honneamise has an approximately 2 minute scene with an attempted sexual assault removed from the UK VHS release and TV showings.

This was a choice made by the distributor to obtain a PG rating for retail. The original, uncut film was passed by the BBFC at 15.

Song Substitutions

Not just in the UK, but altered (not cut) in all English speaking territories...

Eden of the East Series, all except episode 1 has the opening Oasis song replaced due to licensing issues.

K-ON! Volume 1, episode 1, Tsubasa wo Kudasai, an instrumental piece, is replaced by Aura Lee (Love Me Tender), again for music licensing reasons.

Girls und Panzer episode 8, Russian folk song replaced by Tetris theme, animation also edited.

confirmed!

The Japanese Broadcast release had Duran Duran's Girls On Film as it's opening theme.

Click here for NormanicGrav's post in full, as I've edited out repeated information.

2. Sparrowsabre7

Sparrowsabre7 Za Warudo

It's worth noting that the hanging sequence is left intact in part in the preview for the episode and also exists in its entireity on some DVDs in the UK (possibly screener DVDs) as when I rented Paranoia Agent from lovefilm, the scene was 100% intact.

3. Just Passing Through

The Wings of Honneamise has an approximately 2 minute scene with an attempted sexual assault removed from the UK VHS release and TV showings.

This was a choice made by the distributor to obtain a PG rating for retail. The original, uncut film was passed by the BBFC at 15.

4. Leatherman The Perfect (lol) Edition, an R18 release, was cut by 9m 7s "to remove dialogue and subtitles suggesting a lack of consent to sex, and likely to encourage an interest in underage sex."

The other day a poster mentioned another R18 title that was heavily cut, but I can't recall the title in question and nor can I recall which thread it was. D'oh.

5. Animefreak17

Animefreak17 Godhand

i know what i like to cut off

6. Rui

Rui Karamatsu Boy Administrator

Stickied since it does come up a lot! Also, topically, Manga tweeted thus recently:

http://twitter.com/#!/MangaUK/status/113962249558822912
    http://twitter.com/#!/MangaUK/status/113962334594142208

While this isn't entirely true if you take their entire back catalogue into consideration, their intent to release everything uncut comes through loud and clear.

R

7. MrLaserSharkKH

MrLaserSharkKH Stand User

Yup, Crying Freeman and Fist of the North Star both have had some cuts in some of their video tape releases, If I (or the bbfc website) are not mistaken

8. Technically Manga are correct since they no longer own the licenses for anything cut during the VHS days (they did release Violence Jack on DVD but I don't think they have it any more). EDIT: Except Overfiend of course.

9. cercia

cercia School Idol

Wow, I have no idea what's cut unless its old school fantasy...they STILL cut anime..? WHY??

10. Shiroi Hane

Shiroi Hane Dragon Knight

Angelic Layer, although the cut was only to the VA commentary track (Monica called herself a "retard"):

"Company chose to remove some uses of derogatory language referring to mental and physical disability for PG category in line with BBFC Guidelines. A 12 uncut was available to the company."

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV195456/
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV190804/

I only remember one episode being cut, although two discs are listed (one cut by "0s").

11. ayase

ayase Mushi-shi

:lol:

That made my day. How uptight must those censors be? My image of the BBFC is just Mary Whitehouse sat in a bare, windowless room with her face pushed up to a small 1960's CRT TV with notepad and pen at the ready.

12. Shiroi Hane

13. Ryo Chan

Ryo Chan Symphogear

yet they left the same response by her in Negima's bloopers in? :D

14. Shiroi Hane

What rating was Negima? The AL cut wasn't mandatory - ADV did it in order to get a PG rating (They could have had a 12 uncut).

15. Animefreak17

Animefreak17 Godhand

this threads a very good idea
    if any up-coming release are coming out and there theres cuts in them il know cause the info will be in here

16. Y-San

Y-San Shinki

I believe Negima!? picked up a 15 certificate rating, in the end.

Speaking of the BBFC, I remember when Evangelion 2.22 had its UK premier in Glasgow, though I can't remember quite what was said, they had a BBFC representitive in to discuss rating an anime.

One of the biggest problems was though, that most of the time, who ever was viewing could sometime see only a single episode out of context of the rest of the series.

17. Just Passing Through

Not just in the UK, but altered (not cut) in all English speaking territories...

Eden of the East Series, all except episode 1 has the opening Oasis song replaced due to licensing issues.

K-ON! Volume 1, episode 1, Tsubasa wo Kudasai, an instrumental piece, is replaced by Aura Lee (Love Me Tender), again for music licensing reasons.

18. Shiroi Hane

I seriously wouldn't consider that "cut", but along the same lines - Lili Marleen was changed for something else in FUNimation's release of Strike Witches and I doubt the UK release will be any different.
    https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/11370062025

19. Ryo Chan

Ryo Chan Symphogear

shoulda stuck this in, sounds nothing like the eva version ;)

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4c6ZB3X3vU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y4c6ZB3X3vU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

i assume the UK version of Speed Grapher has "girls on film" removed from the op too

20. Shiroi Hane

I only have one volume of Speed Grapher, and it doesn't have Girls on Film.