Anime That is Cut in the UK: The Definitive Thread

Re: Anime that is Cut in the UK... The definitive thread.

ConanThe3rd said:
on that topic, is that still cut on the new set?

I'm wondering the same thing, last time i checked I didn't see a new BR entry for geass on the bbfc site

Shiroi Hane said:
The main problem with that single frame of Code Geass is that there was no context for it.
Which is pretty stupid really. If a person is suggestible enough that they develop an interest in underage sex after watching flat-chested cartoon characters in vaguely sexual situations, then I doubt context will prevent that from happening.

Also, the context of Lucchini grabbing Shirley's boobs is... that they're having a bath? Well, that's okay then.

They're not in a bath, she's got her hands in her clothing. The problem was the little girl in the background watching.
The "skinship" in Strike Witches was deemed different because it had clear context, apparently.

I'm aware of the BBFC's rationale in editing Code Geass and leaving Strike Witches unmolested (arf) - I just think the distinction and the reason for making the distinction are bollocks.

Out of interest, why did you think my "bath" comment was referring to Code Geass when, as you correctly deduced, my second paragraph was about Strike Witches?

Shiroi Hane said:
The problem was the little girl in the background watching.
The background character that isn't even identifiably underage, unless we're infantilising every female with a flat chest (like Australian legislators were actually going to attempt to do a while back)? I remember. Way to look down on flat chested women, censors.

ayase said:
Shiroi Hane said:
The problem was the little girl in the background watching.
The background character that isn't even identifiably underage, unless we're infantilising every female with a flat chest (like Australian legislators were actually going to attempt to do a while back)? I remember. Way to look down on flat chested women, censors.

That is what bothered me, too. She's presumably a classmate of the others!

R

All this A-cup angest, more bothersome then the characters themselves. And at a finer point to fabricatedlunatic's comment, I'm sure it takes far more then a few frames of something 'sexually suggestive' to encourage paedophilia.

More distinction that's bollocks part II

Okay, don't take this as gospel just yet, as the retail version is yet to be released, and the BBFC still have time to throw a fit, and my Paranoia Agent 3 check disc was uncut while the release wasn't...

But I have just had a look at the Code Geass R2 check discs (with labels that make them look suspiciously like retail versions), and episode 10 booby grope is evident on both Blu-ray and DVD.

Tallywhackers and Kleenex at the ready gentleman, we may have just got some animated smut past the BBFC. Prepare to be corrupted and defiled!

Just Passing Through said:
Okay, don't take this as gospel just yet, as the retail version is yet to be released, and the BBFC still have time to throw a fit, and my Paranoia Agent 3 check disc was uncut while the release wasn't...

But I have just had a look at the Code Geass R2 check discs (with labels that make them look suspiciously like retail versions), and episode 10 booby grope is evident on both Blu-ray and DVD.

Tallywhackers and Kleenex at the ready gentleman, we may have just got some animated smut past the BBFC. Prepare to be corrupted and defiled!

i hope they get past it because cut dvds piss me off, iv already got Code Geass but i wouldn't mind getting the uncut version. so tell me when it does

animefreak17 said:

i hope they get past it because cut dvds piss me off, iv already got Code Geass but i wouldn't mind getting the uncut version. so tell me when it does

My gut is telling me it's gonna be uncut, at least in part becuase this is the BR version - or to put it another way they don't have a TV version to fall back on like they did with the original release, that and the fact the I didn't see any BBFC entry for Season 1 on BR. I still can't find any BR entry infact for S1. Lets keep our fingers crossed and not mention this too much till we have the discs in hand methinks

-edit-

You know the ironic thing about that cut back in the day? When it was being discussed I went and found said 1/2 second frame and probably spent more time looking at it then i'd of ever done watching the show. Cutting it got it far more notice that it actually merited.

Rosencrantz said:
animefreak17 said:

My gut is telling me it's gonna be uncut, at least in part becuase this is the BR version - or to put it another way they don't have a TV version to fall back on like they did with the original release, that and the fact the I didn't see any BBFC entry for Season 1 on BR. I still can't find any BR entry infact for S1. Lets keep our fingers crossed and not mention this too much till we have the discs in hand methinks

-edit-

You know the ironic thing about that cut back in the day? When it was being discussed I went and found said 1/2 second frame and probably spent more time looking at it then i'd of ever done watching the show. Cutting it got it far more notice that it actually merited.

man........... what do i do now because iv already brought them but not watched them yet * the old ones i mean * i guess i could buy the blu-ray and put them in the cases of code geass i brought

animefreak17 said:
man........... what do i do now because iv already brought them but not watched them yet * the old ones i mean * i guess i could buy the blu-ray and put them in the cases of code geass i brought

The old cases are nice, well nice artwork in any event, dunno about the overall design of them. The BR is a nice step up in quality so i'd definately recomend getting it.

Rosencrantz said:
animefreak17 said:

The old cases are nice, well nice artwork in any event, dunno about the overall design of them. The BR is a nice step up in quality so i'd definately recomend getting it.
i wounder if there'll all fit in if i do decide to get them? il be honest i love the art work on the cases but its a shame because if i do decide to get the blu-rays then il have to put them in storage

Rosencrantz said:
When it was being discussed I went and found said 1/2 second frame and probably spent more time looking at it then i'd of ever done watching the show.
I wouldn't say that too loud. They'll be raiding your house you heinous lolicon. :p

Ath said:
Now that's very interesting indeed. Everyone be sure to keep a close eye on the BBFC's recent decisions list for the next week or so!

I wonder if it was a fine line decision and that one examiner saw the issue one way and another saw it differently when it was resubmitted?

Yeah certainly could be, a lot of it will always come down to the examiner's personal interpretation of the laws and guidelines. I'm thinking it could also be that it's just the BBFC reinterpreting the The Protection of Children Act now. In the Realm of the Senses is now completely uncut, when there used to be a dodgy bit involving kids that was optically reframed before.

....there's also the possibility that Kaze didn't resubmit and are just releasing it as is without telling the BBFC :p Let's hope they didn't do that or they could be in trouble!

Ath said:
Yeah could be, a lot of it will always come down to the examiner's personal interpretation of the laws and guidelines. I'm thinking it could also be that it's just the BBFC reinterpreting the The Protection of Children Act now. In the Realm of the Senses is now completely uncut, when there used to be a dodgy bit involving kids that was optically reframed before.

....there's also the possibility that Kaze didn't resubmit and are just releasing it as is without telling the BBFC :p Let's hope they didn't do that or they could be in trouble!

You might think they could have been stricter in interpreting such laws at the moment after all the fuss around a certain DJ. Madness you say & you would be right but I did see at the height of this fuss it mentioned on another forum about dubious material and anime & manga was lumped in there by some posters. :roll:

robot monkey said:
Ath said:
Yeah could be, a lot of it will always come down to the examiner's personal interpretation of the laws and guidelines. I'm thinking it could also be that it's just the BBFC reinterpreting the The Protection of Children Act now. In the Realm of the Senses is now completely uncut, when there used to be a dodgy bit involving kids that was optically reframed before.

You might think they could have been stricter in interpreting such laws at the moment after all the fuss around a certain DJ. Madness you say & you would be right but I did see at the height of this fuss it mentioned on another forum about dubious material and anime & manga was lumped in there by some posters. :roll:

Amazon's just posted my copy, guess I just need to wait a few days and see if this got by or not.

It's just occured to me that it is infact illegal in some cases to take a still of a film and use it out of context, while as part of the film it is allowable by the BBFC. Surely the flipside is true, the offending frame is part of the wider show and we do have a certain amount of context to back it up.

-_- I hate the stuck-up BBFC, i can think what BBFC stands for but its to rude to type it on here but the first word begins with big

Back