Anime That is Cut in the UK: The Definitive Thread

The Movies of Naruto on Amazon.co.uk have the same dub as naruto unleahed right?
Or is it the viz media dub?

Best regards

animefreak17 said:
any updates

No news is good news methinks. Reviewing the list i'm seeing a new trend of music cuts due to liscences, just when we seem to seeing almost no cuts to the shows a new issue crops up :(

Technically these are cuts... I mean not BBFC cuts, but removals by distributors...

Dragon Ball Z (Manga). Surely everyone knows about the Orange boxes by now that we are getting in the UK, where Funimation took the original 4:3 16mm source material, scanned it at HD resolution, cleaned it up with some serious DNR, and reframed it for anamorphic presentation on SD DVDs. Basically the top and bottom of the original image has been cropped to achieve this... which I guess is a cut of sorts... Everyone knew this anyway going in, and Manga have been forthright about Tweeting this ahead of time just in case.

Bleach Series 9: Part 1 was more of a surprise to me however. Everything up to Bleach Series 8 Part 2 was sourced from Australia's Madman Entertainment. But from Season 9, they've switched to Viz Europe and Kaze. It obviously saves time and money to switch from a middle party halfway across the world to dealing directly with Viz across the Channel.

Now Kaze have their own way of doing things, not all of which I agree with, but since this thread is about cuts, you should know that Kaze have dispensed with the next episode previews and more significantly the Illustrated Guide to Soul Reapers Golden comedy sketches at the end of each episode. From Series 9:1, you only get the episodes.

BBFC don't cut anyway - they just advised what would need to be cut to get a particular rating and the distributor then makes the cuts (and can indeed make cuts before even presenting to the BBFC).

Omitting extras is tangentially relevant to this thread in the same was as music substitutions but I wouldn't call the DBZ crops a "cut" since the runtime is unchanged. You wouldn't call the regular Star Wars VHS tapes a "cut" version of the widescreen versions for example.

Just Passing Through said:
Bleach Series 9: Part 1 was more of a surprise to me however. Everything up to Bleach Series 8 Part 2 was sourced from Australia's Madman Entertainment. But from Season 9, they've switched to Viz Europe and Kaze. It obviously saves time and money to switch from a middle party halfway across the world to dealing directly with Viz across the Channel.

Now Kaze have their own way of doing things, not all of which I agree with, but since this thread is about cuts, you should know that Kaze have dispensed with the next episode previews and more significantly the Illustrated Guide to Soul Reapers Golden comedy sketches at the end of each episode. From Series 9:1, you only get the episodes.
BOOOO!!!

Technically these are cuts... I mean not BBFC cuts, but removals by distributors...

Dragon Ball Z (Manga). Surely everyone knows about the Orange boxes by now that we are getting in the UK, where Funimation took the original 4:3 16mm source material, scanned it at HD resolution, cleaned it up with some serious DNR, and reframed it for anamorphic presentation on SD DVDs. Basically the top and bottom of the original image has been cropped to achieve this... which I guess is a cut of sorts... Everyone knew this anyway going in, and Manga have been forthright about Tweeting this ahead of time just in case.

oh well

Delays or cuts?

reborn said:
Delays or cuts?
That seems like a really poor excuse to me and I'd much rather it be delayed a month than miss part of a episode, even if it isnt related to the story.

Yrag86 said:
reborn said:
Delays or cuts?
That seems like a really poor excuse to me and I'd much rather it be delayed a month than miss part of a episode, even if it isnt related to the story.
I hope they at least restore the omake segments on Part 2 as a special feature.

Shiroi Hane said:
You wouldn't call the regular Star Wars VHS tapes a "cut" version of the widescreen versions for example.

When the first Widescreen videotapes started coming out, I went on a binge of throwing out my old Pan and Scan videos and replacing them with widescreen versions. Star Wars was only the first. So for me, altering the image from the OAR is synonymous to cutting the movie.

Re: Anime that is Cut in the UK... The definitive thread.

Funny how Code Geass has a few frames that need to be replaced, yet Dance in the Vampire Bund gets past the radar.

not very consistent are you BBFC

Re: Anime that is Cut in the UK... The definitive thread.

The main problem with that single frame of Code Geass is that there was no context for it.

Back