Anime Network coming to UK TV! 2hr block starts in June!

I salute ADV for securing a 2 hour broadcast on Propellor TV, but these anime aren't to my liking.

Meh, Will try and watch Elfen Lied.

The simple fact is to show things in an anamorphic aspect costs more, which is why BBC ITV, C4 etc all show their stuff that way, but check out the Sci-fi or Bravo channels to see what happens when budget gets in the way

RichB06 said:
You don't really think that do you Mohawk52?
Look mate, You select what your box will output in the Services, System Setups, Picture Settings. Your choice is 4:3, or 16:9 widescreen but if you don't have a widescreen tele it's a bit pointless setting the box for it. Therefore you would set it for 4:3 and any widescreen will go to letterbox on your 4:3 tele. However if you DO have a widescreen then any 4:3 broadcast will get stretched in letter box on your !6:9 tele. You tell the box what kind of tele you have, it makes the pictures fit it. It cost no more to braodcast a 16:9 than it does a 4:3 programme Production houses will do either, or both depends on what is ordered.

I'm pretty sure he means that they'll just leave the bars on the top and bottom if it's already a widescreen program rather than broadcasting it as anamorphic.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I'm pretty sure he means that they'll just leave the bars on the top and bottom if it's already a widescreen program rather than broadcasting it as anamorphic.
Like I just pointed out, if they broadcast it 16:9 he'll get it 16:9 if he has a 16:9 receiver No letterboxing will happen.

I thought I explained myself quite clearly in my second post in this thread, I did however make the mistake of thinking others could read my post and understand it

RichB06 said:
I thought I explained myself quite clearly in my second post in this thread, I did however make the mistake of thinking others could read my post and understand it
I mean about the widescreen thing.

what you said

I'm pretty sure he means that they'll just leave the bars on the top and bottom if it's already a widescreen program rather than broadcasting it as anamorphic

that's it, in a nutshell

RichB06 said:
Sorry if I seem negative but in this day and age where we can watch exactly what we want, when we want for very little money, I just can't see the upside of a 2 hour slot once a week on a channel that will probably be low quality (bitrate) and wonder what on earth 'anamorphic widescreen' means what about showing stuff in such a format

It's about mainstream accessibility to anime. Watching anime on the internet or even going out and buying a DVD doesn't have the same impact on the casual fan. Many of the people on this forum became anime fans because of what they first saw on the Sci-Fi channel, CNX, Toonami or Channel 4.

Try not to look at this from such a self centered perspective - it won't personally effect me because I've already seen at least some of all four shows, but I'm extremely happy because it means ANYONE with Sky Digital (millions of people in the UK, then) have instant access to anime at the click of a TV remote.

Furthermore, the idea seems to be that the Anime Network over takes "Propeller TV" for 2 hours, as such, they may be paying for a higher bit-rate. The Anime Network is obviously putting a lot of money into this; it's not the same as Rapture, and the end result will be a lot more professional since it's a product (Anime Network) of nearly 5 years hard work in the US.

RichB06 said:
From the looks of it, it shows random amateur films

or in other words has a tiny budget, so can't buy the rights to anything else and is a cheap channel to run

Sounds like a great choice!

Prop doesn't own the rights to the anime, they own the rights to show a two-hour block of Anime Network - which ADV owns. It's like Adult Swim on Bravo.

Widescreen/not widescreen - am I the only one who doesn't give a damn?

Little fuss was made on this forum about the Dragonball Z box so how is this any different. Being shown a whole DVD's worth of anime a week can't be a bad thing, regardless of possible niggles thatm ay annoy you. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...

I don't even have Sky but I still recognise its worth.

Back