Anime Network coming to UK TV! 2hr block starts in June!

Good news 8)

This is what we've been asking for,for the last 3 years now i guess.

I noticed over the last year anime has been coming back on uk tv

Jetix-bobobobo
-naruto

bravo-afro samurai

Film four-selection of films

sci fi-cowboy bebop movie

Bbc2-spirted away

Toonami....pokemon -.-

Plus rapture and another tv channel i'd say theres been decent exposure.

All adv need to do is advertise!

Ps.i've been following that animax rumor it's not looking good.

RichB06 said:
what you said

I'm pretty sure he means that they'll just leave the bars on the top and bottom if it's already a widescreen program rather than broadcasting it as anamorphic

that's it, in a nutshell
R2 Animorphic in this country is 16:9. If it's R2 there should be no "bars on the top and botton" aka letterbox.

Ushio said:
Widescreen/not widescreen - am I the only one who doesn't give a damn?

No you're not, who gives a flying fu.. monkey what format it's shown in. ( Or how long it's on for. )

This is fantastic news and means that anime really is starting to get the recognition it warrents. OK, so it's on an obscure channel, so what.

Answer this simple question. Would you rather have it...

a - On an out of the way channel in 4:3
b - Not at all

I know which i'd choose.

Also untill it starts broadcasting, nobody knows, so why go on about something there's no clue about.

Well this is actually good news given that adult swim UK has got Afro Samurai now and if it rates well I'm sure they will go after more!

And they will have to becuase it's got competition now!

Excellent news! It's a really exciting development - not so much as a step in the right direction as a brave jump in the right direction. Hats off to ADV for sticking their necks out like this and best of luck to them.

I'm annoyed that I dont have Sky though. :p

RichB06 said:
The simple fact is to show things in an anamorphic aspect costs more, which is why BBC ITV, C4 etc all show their stuff that way, but check out the Sci-fi or Bravo channels to see what happens when budget gets in the way

Is there any proof behind this? I haven't heard of broadcasting being more exspensive because of formats.

But personally i feel your scrutinizing it a bit too much. There are still people who don't know about fansubs for series that aren't released yet or being able to download shows from the internet and to be honest the last thing the industry needs is more pirates. Many anime fans, myself included, first got into anime after watching it on Cartoon Network and Sci-fi etc. Which implimented the exact same slots as these, albeit on a more regular basis.

But while the chanell may not be great on a whole, i can't comment i haven't seen it, this can only be good for the anime industry as a whole in the UK. If anything i'm betting Sony will be watching this like a hawk to see how it goes down.

Martin said:
If you're still living with your parents, remember pester power works. Propeller is a "free to view "channel so you just need a Sky box and dish, not a subscription as well to see it. However if you have a Sky + box you willl need at least a basic subscription to record it there. :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
Martin said:
If you're still living with your parents, remember pester power works. Propeller is a "free to view "channel so you just need a Sky box and dish, not a subscription as well to see it. However if you have a Sky + box you willl need at least a basic subscription to record it there. :wink:
Nah, I was just kidding. I have my own place but don't even get time to watch what I want on freeview so Sky doesn't seem worth the hassle (especially now Film4 is on freeview)!

This news will probably affect casual viewers most of all. How many of us got hooked on anime when channel-hopping and thought "that looks interesting..."?

Nyu said:
RichB06 said:
The simple fact is to show things in an anamorphic aspect costs more, which is why BBC ITV, C4 etc all show their stuff that way, but check out the Sci-fi or Bravo channels to see what happens when budget gets in the way

Is there any proof behind this? I haven't heard of broadcasting being more exspensive because of formats.

But personally i feel your scrutinizing it a bit too much. There are still people who don't know about fansubs for series that aren't released yet or being able to download shows from the internet and to be honest the last thing the industry needs is more pirates. Many anime fans, myself included, first got into anime after watching it on Cartoon Network and Sci-fi etc. Which implimented the exact same slots as these, albeit on a more regular basis.

But while the chanell may not be great on a whole, i can't comment i haven't seen it, this can only be good for the anime industry as a whole in the UK. If anything i'm betting Sony will be watching this like a hawk to see how it goes down.

I can think of a few who will be watching this like a hawk. Sci Fi have announced there anime block in the US if it's a success it's possible they will bring it to the UK.

Adult Swim will watch this as well recently moving into anime (slowly) with Afro Samurai I can imagine they won't be too pleased with a rival.

MTV must also watch on as they themselves were also interested in anime.

AWESOME!!! mORE ANIME!!!!!!

Elfen Lied rocks but...How can I watch it without my parents walking around. (Sky is in the living room. and its the only place I can watch it).

Masaka_Naraku said:
AWESOME!!! mORE ANIME!!!!!!

Elfen Lied rocks but...How can I watch it without my parents walking around. (Sky is in the living room. and its the only place I can watch it).
Well it is rated 15. Have you ever explained that anime is not just for kids? Would they be upset on moral and ethical, or religious grounds? If not, invite them to watch it with you, if you are at least 15 that is. :wink:

Masaka_Naraku said:

It was awful trying to squeeze in all 13 episodes while my Parents were in the living room or something. I want them to watch anime but i think thats going to be a No No. but probably better off showing them NGE or something with *ahem; less nudity, i think they would be ok with the blood and all, since its animated.

Just say to your parents you are watching naruto on Jetix lol!

I can't beleive this I just heard now only too... (I must look really stupid right now).

This is seriously good news hopefully they will have a decent time slot.

Tasker said:
Ushio said:
Widescreen/not widescreen - am I the only one who doesn't give a damn?

No you're not, who gives a flying fu.. monkey what format it's shown in. ( Or how long it's on for. ).
I don't actually care either.

I'm going to get somebody to record Coyote Ragtime Show for me.

X_nick_X said:
Good news 8)

This is what we've been asking for,for the last 3 years now i guess.

I noticed over the last year anime has been coming back on uk tv

Jetix-bobobobo
-naruto

bravo-afro samurai

Film four-selection of films

sci fi-cowboy bebop movie

Bbc2-spirted away

Toonami....pokemon -.-

Plus rapture and another tv channel i'd say theres been decent exposure.

All adv need to do is advertise!

Ps.i've been following that animax rumor it's not looking good.

You forgot Japanorama and Asian Invasion both not strictly anime programmes but feature some anime related topics.

Who knows how this will go we could get more anime on adult swim as well here's hoping.

Great news alright.
But not for me as I have NTL.
Should do a good job of expanding anime in the U.K which can only be good.
Well done ADV.

This is great news! Its a two hour block i'll be having of the TV then heh. Hats off to ADV for actually pulling that off.

some more seperate news

Sony Pictures Television International announced that its Animax channel will launch on Unity Media's digital subscription television service in the German regions of North Rhine-Westphalia and Hesse in early June 2007. SPTI is planning to roll out the channel, the first anime channel in Germany, with other services in the country. The channel will run 24 hours a day, as it does in many countries in Asia, Latin America, and Central Europe.

Germany was one of them on the orignal list so looks like the UK launch isn't too far away

Back