Anime Network coming to UK TV! 2hr block starts in June!

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
This is something anime fans in the UK have been requesting for years, and finally, <a href="http://www.theanimenetwork.com/animenetworkuk/index.html">ADV UK have come up with the goods</a> in securing a 2hr "Anime Network" programming block on UK TV. Starting 3rd June on Sunday evenings from 8pm till 10pm, the "Anime Network" will invade Sky digital channel "<a href="http://www.propellertv.co.uk/">Propeller TV</a>" (<strong>SKY Channel 195</strong>) and begin broadcasting <strong>Coyote Ragtime Show, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armour</strong> and <strong>Elfen Lied</strong>. More information below:
<ul>"Promising to bring UK viewers an edgy fusion of top offerings from America's #1 Anime Channel, ADV Films and Propeller TV have announced the launch of an Anime Network programming block. The new two-hour block-presented by Sci-Fi Guy extraordinaire Stuart Claw (T4) and manga maven Emma Vieceli (TOKYOPOP UK & Ireland Rising Star of Manga)-debuts on Propeller TV (SKY Channel 195) on 3 June and will air 8:00-10:00pm on Sundays."

"Injected with plenty of action, adventure, science fiction and horror, the exciting lineup of animated series includes such favorites as Coyote Ragtime Show, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armour and Elfen Lied, all of which already boast hoards of fans the world over. Today's news marks the first transatlantic programming deal for Anime Network, which already reaches more than 40 million households in North America and draws from the world's largest anime libraries." [<a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/press/2/pr-anime-network-coming-to-uk-tv-2hr-block-starts-in-june">Full press release</a>]</ul>

Promising to bring UK viewers an edgy fusion of top offerings from America's #1 Anime Channel, ADV Films and Propeller TV have announced the launch of an Anime Network programming block. The new two-hour block-presented by Sci-Fi Guy extraordinaire Stuart Claw (T4) and manga maven Emma Vieceli (TOKYOPOP UK & Ireland Rising Star of Manga) - debuts on Propeller TV (SKY Channel 195) on 3 June and will air 8:00-10:00pm on Sundays.

Injected with plenty of action, adventure, science fiction and horror, the exciting lineup of animated series includes such favorites as Coyote Ragtime Show, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armour and Elfen Lied, all of which already boast hoards of fans the world over. Today's news marks the first transatlantic programming deal for Anime Network, which already reaches more than 40 million households in North America and draws from the world's largest anime libraries.

"We are undoubtedly thrilled at the opportunity to reach and entertain Propeller TV's UK viewers through this very cool programming block," said Stacy Dodson, Anime Network's Director of Programming. "Propeller already speaks to an audience rife with pop-culture sensibilities, so the lineup we've crafted should resonate well."

Added ADV Films' Hugh David, who orchestrated the deal: "Anime Network and Propeller TV have a natural synergy that we recognized and tapped into in developing the block. The audience is right. The content is right. The timing couldn't be better."

Programming Highlights:

* Coyote Ragtime Show - So long, suckers. Say sayonara to Planet Graceland! Insurrection will not be tolerated! And to prove the point, the government has set a big, bad bomb to blast Graceland right out of the sky! Bullets, blades, bombs and busty beauties... if it's capable of destruction or distraction, it's fair game in this chilling, thrilling, killing, blood-spilling series!

* Neon Genesis Evangelion - The year is 2015, and half of the Earth's population is dead, victims of the disaster called Second Impact! Answering a summons from his enigmatic father, 14-year-old Shinji Ikari arrives in the rebuilt city of New Tokyo-3 just as a gigantic creature identified as an "Angel" attacks! Forced into the cockpit of a giant bio-mechanical construct known as an Evangelion, Shinji must defend the city from the rampaging Angel or die trying!

* Guyver: The Bioboosted Armour - Lurking under the face of everyday life is a dark world of pain and destruction... a world controlled by a sinister brotherhood that hides its fangs behind masks of humanity, known as the Chronos Corporation. Anime Network presents this sci-fi anime legend in the most complete rendition of Guyver ever animated.

* Elfen Lied - Lucy is a psychopathic killer with powers beyond any humans. Nyu is aelpless child with no memories. Both could not be farther apart, but both find themselves inside the same body. Two students that have taken in Nyu find their world being turned around as the government sets out to kill Lucy. A strange story of romance and chaos as innocence and darkness collide in a series like nothing you've ever seen.

For more information on Propeller TV's Anime Network block, please visit:
<http> www.animenetwork.co.uk.

This is amazingly good news. Can't really say anymore than that. Well done ADV!

Holy **** are you kidding me? Elfen Lied on UK television! I wonder if they will edit it in any way, i hope not.

I might have to get sky now. This is brilliant news.

When this arrived in my mailbox, my heart nearly jumped out of my mouth. It's just one of those exciting, completely unpredictable pieces of news that subverts everything you assume to know about the UK anime scene.

Having had a few extra moments to reflect on this story - its notable how this is clearly the Anime Network brand pushing for recognition in the UK, almost as if it's a separate entity from ADV UK. It even has its own website and a bunch of TV presenters. Therefore, they obviously have a dedicated team of people working on this and more importantly, are spending a proper budget on producing and shaping the UK stream.

Awesome.

Nyu said:
Holy **** are you kidding me? Elfen Lied on UK television! I wonder if they will edit it in any way, i hope not.

It's after 9pm, and Elfen Lied is only rated 15 - No edits.

Fudce said:
Nyu said:

It's after 9pm, and Elfen Lied is only rated 15 - No edits.

You're probably right but there is still the possibility. But still, is this the first steps for an anime channel in the UK? i wonder if this will tip sony into getting their anime channel on the air sooner.

RichB06 said:
Um, 2 hours a night, once a week
How is this good news!?
2 hours a night, once a week is better than no hours at all. Plus the fact that it's not just a random series on a channel - it's The Anime Network setting up its own presence is worth something more.

This is FANTASTIC news! I can't see why they would have to edit Elfen Lied as it is after the water shed. I've watched Propeller TV before because they have this animation block around 2000 where some really good home grown talent get to show their stuff. This should boost the rating for this channel greatly, I hope. However I find it curious that nothing has been reported at Propeller's website :wink:

RichB06 said:
How is this good news!?
This is the kind of attitude that annoys me. Why can't you be satisfied with something like this? Seriously, look at the bigger picture. :roll:

This is very good news, but in truth i'm not sure how excited i am to watch those particular series, i don't think any of them are my type of thing. Guess i will have to force myself because they are anime, though i couldn't force myself to watch Excel Saga when that was on, still, maybe i will be pleasantly surprised

Maxon said:
RichB06 said:
How is this good news!?
This is the kind of attitude that annoys me. Why can't you be satisfied with something like this? Seriously, look at the bigger picture. :roll:

Anime fans will always find something to moan about. Even if they decided to launch a complete, dual audio (via digital services) version of The Anime Network over here, with a perfect selection of anime to cater for every taste, and had it on Freeview, Virgin, and Sky... People would complain that the subtitles are the wrong font, or that Chris Patton sounds like a chipmunk*.

* he doesn't.

Back