Anime moments that made you cry/scream "NOOOOO!!!"

Zin5ki said:
HdE said:
But y'know what? I wouldn't change that ending for anything in the world.
So be it. By wishing this, you condemn your screen to be forever dusted with synthetic cheesy deposits.
Did you splash the cola against it as well?

Naw - I have some standards when it comes to domestic mess.

I will admit that I cleaned the cheesy corn-snack residue from my TV screen with a heavy heart.

Churchy99 said:
Like many have said:

Hughes's death in Full Metal Alchemist. Then the funeral made me cry for so many reasons. But I think the most depressing things was the fact that Elicia doesn't understand what's happening. Armstrong crying (you never see that man cry). The fact that the elrics don't know. But there's one line that Roy says that has so much meaning underneath it. "It's going to rain today"
Yeah, totally. This one is turning out to be quite popular - certainly, Elicia asking what was happening was heartbreaking... I'd fortgotten that Armstrong started crying, and that the Elrics didn't learn about his death 'till afterwards.
There IS another bit in FMA which I thought was awful - when the scientist with whom the Elrics are staying (whose name escapes me), turn his daughter and dog that the Elrics played with in the snow (whose names escape me also) into a Chimera... the moment of realisation hit me like a tonne of bricks. Horrible, horrible bit of the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
ilmaestro said:
The final end credits of Gungrave.

Seconded, made me feel depressed for hours afterwards.

One that got me was near the end of Planetes: where Ai is carrying Claire across the moon in search of help and the episode ends with her running out of air. There was something about the whole situation that really disturbed me, particularly when Ai is suffocating and attempts to steal Claire's oxygen to save herself.

I suppose it bothered me so much because it flew in the face of everything she does in previous episodes and seemed to say that in the end we only give a damn about ourselves.

rory_okane said:
Yeah, totally. This one is turning out to be quite popular - certainly, Elicia asking what was happening was heartbreaking... I'd fortgotten that Armstrong started crying, and that the Elrics didn't learn about his death 'till afterwards.
There IS another bit in FMA which I thought was awful - when the scientist with whom the Elrics are staying (whose name escapes me), turn his daughter and dog that the Elrics played with in the snow (whose names escape me also) into a Chimera... the moment of realisation hit me like a tonne of bricks. Horrible, horrible bit of the series.

Yeah Also that bit when Hughes is waving to Ed on the station (I interpreted it as his spirit) along with the music is heartbreaking because he was such a nice guy and real friend to Roy.

The part with the Chimera and Tucker. I really didn't see it coming. I was just like "no ******* way!". To be honest there are a lot of moments like that within Full Metal Alchemist.

Probably the final episode of the Darker Than Black OVAs(ep 4). If you've seen Gemini of the Meteor, you may have an idea of whats going on, but this certainly was a strong episode for that.

Erm, probably near the end of Gundam 00 as well. Not so much a "NOOOO" moment but The death of Neil was pretty hard hitting. You could kinda see it coming, but the bit with Haro in Dynames just repeating "Lockon Lockon", was pretty much the sad part.

Erm, i'm sure there is more, but i'll get to them later.

I've thought of another one that made me a little weepy, which might surprise some of you, namely: Lucky Star, Episode 22, from about 15 minutes onwards, when they're discussing Konata's mother, who died when Konata was quite young, and her ghost returns to see what's going on with her family... it's quite a melancholy but sweet scene - the kind of thing you'd hope a loved one who's passed on might say if they could see you with your family today... *sniff*

Wildcard said:
One that got me was near the end of Planetes: where Ai is carrying Claire across the moon in search of help and the episode ends with her running out of air. There was something about the whole situation that really disturbed me, particularly when Ai is suffocating and attempts to steal Claire's oxygen to save herself.

I suppose it bothered me so much because it flew in the face of everything she does in previous episodes and seemed to say that in the end we only give a damn about ourselves.
I thought the whole point was that she thought about doing it, but decided against it. Hence Claire's condition wasn't as bad as Ai's.

Grave of the Fireflies was the only one to drive me to tears. However, I did get teary during the Zero Requiem in Code Geass R2.

Also, although I didn't cry, in the first season of Gundam 00 Neil's death was so "WHAT?" and jaw-dropping. Another heart-wrenching but not tear-inducing was from the first season of Code Geass When Lelouch accidentally used his Geass on Euphy.

Also, Elfen Lied Kurama's final scene with Mariko...oh my God...one of the most heart-wrenching things I've seen.

Also, all of Itazura na Kiss was pretty heart-wrenching. I was eagerly awaiting every episode Especially with the cliff-hanger of Irie's father having that heart attack...zomg

hopeful_monster said:
I thought the whole point was that she thought about doing it, but decided against it. Hence Claire's condition wasn't as bad as Ai's.

Ultimately yeah, it was just the episode ending that gave that impression. Even though she doesn't in the end, it was more that moment where she seems set to do it that resulted in the 'Noooo!' moment.

Wildcard said:
ilmaestro said:
The final end credits of Gungrave.

Seconded, made me feel depressed for hours afterwards.

I almost chose that moment in Planetes, but I figured, I didn't really scream 'Noooooooo' so much as hold my breath.

I second Wings of Honeamise, though. Man. That scene was like 'Jesus, whyyyy?'

I third planetes, also... Ghost in the shell stand alone complex The part where the Tachikomas sacrifice them selves to save Motoko and Batou, I was blubbing for quite some time... it just hit me as really sad.

Jayme said:
Yes. Yes they are. If by "done" you mean "directed by".
I did - incidentally, I also thought their art styles were rather similar in some regards... did any of the animators from Bebop work on Samurai Champloo?

Back