Anime Limited Start Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter for English Language Release

Re: Anime Limited Start Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter for Engl

Mohawk52 said:
Wait, are you saying no money is actually given, that it's just a pledge to give an amount of money if and when the product is released, like a pre-order? If no money is actually given how can Andrew go to a studio and commission a dub with just a pledge that he will have the money to pay for it when it's finished and everyone actually gives the money. ? Seems a bit dogey that, and if I was a studio rep hearing that proposal given to me I'd be raising an eyebrow, and maybe requesting that more sustained liquidity was established firstly before any contract was signed.
There's a 30 day period where people pledge money for the project to meet its goal. The money is only taken at the end of the 30 days. If the project does not meet its funding goal by the time these 30 days are up, then no money is taken and the Kickstarter is shut down. Mai Mai Miracle met its goal within 24 hours, so the next few weeks are about driving up the total as far as possible to improve the project. Therefore this project will happen and Anime Limited will get the money at the end of the funding period. By the time Andrew goes to NYAV Post or whichever studio he chooses, the funds will be available. NYAV Post in particular know exactly how this sort of thing works, they're just finishing up recording on the Kickstarter-backed English dub for Time of Eve. I do recommend reading the FAQs to get more detail on the process if you want.

The Kickstarter ends on 7th March, at which point, the pledged money will be taken from the bank accounts of everyone who has pledged. What's really cool about this Kickstarter though is, Anime Limited are "crowd producing" it - so basically, everyone who has pledged has a say in what is done with any overspill money it raises, be it cooler packaging or whatever other reasonable suggestions there are.

Speaking of which, the Kickstarter is only $3,136 away from reaching its first stretch goal of $60,000.

Mohawk52 said:
britguy said:
This situation is slightly different being if it wasn't backed it probably wouldn't have got a release.
I don't accept that. If the ultra-niche T&A titles get dubbed and released here without having the few fans that would actually buy it paying for it to be released before hand with a "kickstarter" then there's no reason a title that is clearly for general audiences just like a Studio Ghibli film would be any higher a risk of not being profitable to licence and release with a dub as well. I'm starting to see a pattern with this concept of crowd-funding, or kickstarter and I don't like it not one bit. It's a common standard that if a craftsman want people to buy their craft, they make the product first to the best of their ability to persuade people that it's worth buying in the first place.

There's a lot of very sensible feels in here - just wanted to weigh in and shed some light on a few points though - not out to change minds here but give some perspective from he who is going through this :).

RE THE FILM & WHY KICKSTARTER FOR US WAS THE ONLY WAY:

The issue being it hasn't been released in the USA yet - so what would have happened is a subtitled release we couldn't do much but release in a format that doesn't do it justice. It would have made very little money at all and that's if the MG had been accepted on that basis.

The reason we needed Kickstarter especially is we're pushing for the USA as well which requires significant more commitment than usual plus a tonne of risks - with the kind of film dub costs aren't going to be sharable and I certainly don't have $30,000 to take a gamble on a film like that without some support! Even if I did have $30k burning a hole in my back pocket, it'd be a huge commitment for a film so I'd have to be damn sure we'd make it back quickly....

Given we are such a small company - we're not made of money and the initial MG was a huge risk as is. We're a team of 4 people where every title is a big gamble and matters, I care about this kind of film but a conventional release model after the MG payment was just way too risky especially so far out from initial release in Japan in 2009.

So in this case - I'd like to think through past safe bets we have proven we can produce a product, we have proven our taste is good and worth coming along for the ride but given the scale of endeavour required here I'd also like to think it's clear that we needed some up-front support.

We've reduced the usual risks as much as possible so it's like pre-ordering on Amazon except cash is deducted 1 month after pre-order, not on shipment. Not ideal for everyone but not exactly scandalous either.

It's absolutely fair to want to wait until it's out and if you're willing to accept it very well may not be in a collector's format after the Kickstarter run is done then that's totally cool :). That said there's a whole lot of reasons that to do this release justice, Kickstarter was required for Anime Limited as I've hopefully laid out.

For what it's worth I would never ask for you to pay twice for it either!

KICKSTARTER AS A MEDIUM

Is this the future of anime distribution? Is it bollocks! Good films with high commercial potential will sell as standard (I'll be pushing to buy them for starters) and do a theatrical release quickly!

Is Kickstarter an easy way to grub money and do a release that otherwise would be a sure-fire Amazon pre-order? Definitely not. It took me a year of very very hard work to make this happen, it's not an easy way out to grub for cash if done properly. What it is, is a way to get difficult titles a better quality release from a small company that cares - not to mention raise the profile of a director whose original films haven't gotten much of a look-in.

Doesn't mean you need to go off and support it via KS, but hopefully I've explained myself somewhat as to why it makes sense :).

Very best,

Andrew,
Warbles on a lot xD.

Hi Andrew.
I don't doubt you sincerity, and I do understand what you are trying to achieve with this title and genre, but my concern is this becomes the norm by others and I fear the risk of personal financial loss to be too great, and as you have stated, it is a very high risk for a fledgling company like yours to be undertaking so soon in my opinion. It's not much different to me than buying stocks in a public listed company, but the only ever dividend is a disc with a cartoon, and maybe some extras on it. Extras I have no interest in anyway with any title I have or would want in future as a collector. Nothing has been said about what happens to the moneys taken if the deal does go sour? Is there facility for total refunds? Trying to fly when you are still growing your wing-feathers will be a risky endeaver, and could be fatal. Out of curiousity just what is the minimum pledge amount you must have set in order to make this work? I'm sure you've researched how to sell this to the yanks over there and have budgeted for doing that as well. I just don't want the market to become one big AniPlex US where a few discs are made and sold at extortionate prices. If that happens I'm out.

Mohawk52 said:
Hi Andrew.
I don't doubt you sincerity, and I do understand what you are trying to achieve with this title and genre, but my concern is this becomes the norm by others and I fear the risk of personal financial loss to be too great, and as you have stated, it is a very high risk for a fledgling company like yours to be undertaking so soon in my opinion. It's not much different to me than buying stocks in a public listed company, but the only ever dividend is a disc with a cartoon, and maybe some extras on it. Extras I have no interest in anyway with any title I have or would want in future as a collector. Nothing has been said about what happens to the moneys taken if the deal does go sour? Is there facility for total refunds? Trying to fly when you are still growing your wing-feathers will be a risky endeaver, and could be fatal. Out of curiousity just what is the minimum pledge amount you must have set in order to make this work? I'm sure you've researched how to sell this to the yanks over there and have budgeted for doing that as well. I just don't want the market to become one big AniPlex US where a few discs are made and sold at extortionate prices. If that happens I'm out.

Some people would lead you to believe this could be a contender for the new norm - but I can assure you they would be mistaken. It works on a project-by-project basis but you can't do it if you don't understand the system or costs involved.

The issue of what happens when it all goes wrong is a contentious one - basically there is a way to fully refund but only if the money isn't drawn, which is seldom the case. If so then the company must do it themselves and the usual is it just means you never see the cash again. I've worked on and observed enough Kickstarters to know the best strategy is to only back companies you trust.

It's no risk for us crashing and burning from the Kickstarter if successful because that is exactly what a successful KS is meant to avoid! If you do this for a living like me the minimum goal is just what it costs to get everything done - including rewards + production of the product inc authoring. Simply put, failure to do that is a poor Kickstarter that was just out to get-rich quick and that's why our initial goal was $30k.

No worries on this one - it won't be a few discs / extortionate prices job - that's not the goal of this from the beginning :). The cheaper version will be mainstream but only the run-off from Kickstarter (we'll likely print 2,000 - 3,000 Collectors Units depending on orders) and I'd anticipate the remainder to be maximum of 1,000 units, to be sold at least 2 months after KS backers get their copies.

TL;DR - Your general point is spot on as the biggest risk of Kickstarter, not really applicable in this case but worth being aware of though as you should always ask questions per project!

Best,

Andrew

Well it seems you are achieving your goal quite well without my help, and if it all goes as planned and the end result is as good as you have hoped for, and I expect you will, there will be only 999 discs to sell as I will have bought one. I look forward to it.
Best of luck
M-

Mohawk52 said:
Well it seems you are achieving your goal quite well without my help, and if it all goes as planned and the end result is as good as you have hoped for, and I expect you will, there will be only 999 discs to sell as I will have bought one. I look forward to it.
Best of luck
M-

Your stance is completely reasonable as a position and it's actually what every Kickstarter project relies on - that there is a market beyond KS who is willing to buy the product when available on regular retail. Take Republique or the host of other games out of Kickstarter as key examples :). So a big thank you on validating that point somewhat :).

Basically Kickstarter should reward those willing to get in early - but not deprive others of a chance to buy in some format (admittedly a less shiny version). On which note, not all the content we make will come out on general distribution and I'll cover that this week :).

Very best and thanks for the nod of confidence!

Andrew

Cheers for the explanations Andrew, looking forward to hearing what the new stretch goals are. Only just over $1k needed for the dub to be funded. I'm deliberating upping my pledge to include the artbook, but i'll wait to see what the new stretch goals are first :)

If only all company reps were as helpful and talkative as you, Andrew. You and Ed Chavez from Vertical are my 2 favourite industry people. I've pledged $55. I wish I could afford $130 though.

I didn't back it for 2 reasons. 1) I'm not sure if i'd like it so i'd rather just buy a more basic release one day and 2) I'm saving up for a convention at the end of March and can't afford any money coming out before April. If I had a job maybe I would take more risks with things I buy ;p

If I wasn't saving up I might have put a little bit in even if I didn't really want the film just to support it but in the future if I don't have a convention coming up I might join in if there is ever a KS for something I do want. Glad it seems to be meeting its targets though :)

Cathe said:
I didn't back it for 2 reasons. 1) I'm not sure if i'd like it so i'd rather just buy a more basic release one day and 2) I'm saving up for a convention at the end of March and can't afford any money coming out before April. If I had a job maybe I would take more risks with things I buy ;p

If I wasn't saving up I might have put a little bit in even if I didn't really want the film just to support it but in the future if I don't have a convention coming up I might join in if there is ever a KS for something I do want. Glad it seems to be meeting its targets though :)

Again a totally legit way to approach things there and in future you'll have a chance to buy it so hey :)! Conventions make sense to take priority especially as that is at the end of March (Kitacon, right :D?)

Kind words always welcomed!

Best,

Andrew

Even people who can't (or choose not to) support the Kickstarter financially are helping by increasing the discussion about it and spreading the word, so if you want a dub (or other goodies) and can't pledge yourself there's never any harm in blogging/tweeting/tumblring the news to make sure it spreads as far as possible. Mohawk52's questions have probably helped a number of lurkers with similar concerns so it's all good stuff :3

I don't support many Kickstarters at all whereas I do preorder most of what Aniplex USA releases (when it's not DVD-only, grr), so it's funny how we all have different priorities. It's good to see companies listening to both sides of the debate to give everyone a chance at getting the anime releases they want to see.

R

anime_andrew said:
(Kitacon, right :D?)

Yep! :D

Yeah just bad timing on this one really. I've been sharing it around though so helping spread the word since I couldn't put money up :D

I think the commentary will win unfortunately. I want me some physical extras!

Cool, taking a leaf out of Hong Kong Legends and the awesome Bey Logan commentaries. I'm voting for the Clementary, though it's already clear we're going to be thoroughly outvoted. Bah, the downsides of democracy :p

EDIT: Actually a quick count shows it's quite even between the two. #teamclementary

I don't listen to commentaries unless they're a bit special (Step Brothers commentarty, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut commentary etc) and i'm not a huge fan of Clements...

While in contrast, commentaries, documentaries and deleted scenes are the main extras I care about when it comes to DVD and Blu-ray. Just goes to show how different people value different things on home video which is interesting!

Ath said:
Cool, taking a leaf out of Hong Kong Legends and the awesome Bey Logan commentaries. I'm voting for the Clementary, though it's already clear we're going to be thoroughly outvoted. Bah, the downsides of democracy :p
I will only back the commentary if it is officially referred to as a Clementary.

It is a really hard choice though....

Don't get me wrong, certain on disc extras I love (documentaries, deleted/extended/alternate scenes) but when I look at my collection, it's things like the Criterion Collection blu-rays that stand out. They come with both on disc documentaries as well as well written and produced essays in a booklet. I love reading the essays :)

Back