UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Do Anime Limited not get physical check disks?

I can understand video glitches or a few lines of subtitle problems but a missing episode or missing subtitle track should be picked up even if you're only watching 30 seconds of each episode

Alltheanime got back to me regarding the subtitle issue on episode 4 of Kids on the Slope.

Apparently they are investigating the problem and have suspended shipping the item.
Oh nice, my £200 sale order is gonna have to wait even longer before getting shipped out, I guess.

AL stopping split shipments was definitely a fantastic decision! Good job guys!

Got a response from AL regarding Angelic Layer:

Pretty ridiculous of them to go the whole license period without releasing a standard edition. Could well be a restriction from the license holder but it would be helpful if they were more open about this kind of thing so we're not left waiting.

Never really thought about AL licenses expiring, outside of the Funimation titles, I wonder what else they don't own the license for anymore, assume the older the title the more likely.

Yeah licenses tend to be around 7 years iirc. They can renew licenses but expect that to happen only for popular titles like Cowboy Bebop or Gurren Lagann.
I remember it being mentioned before that sometimes it's as short as 5yrs but not more than 10yrs.
Would actually be really interested in the inner workings of it. Like does the license start as soon as they sign or as soon as they release it? Because they amount of time between some announcements and actually getting it out could be half the license in some cases (not just referring to AL but loads of companies).

Last edited:
So now they dont state when they are awiaitng stock apparently.
Always stated future boy conan was always in stock from the start of the sale, but they have been awaiting stock past few weeks they just told me😆😆😆not great that

Licenses for physical releases are usually 5, 7 or 10 years - streaming only might have shorter runtimes (Viewster often had just 2 or 3 years). However there might be different contracts in special cases...

The date on which the license starts is stated in the contract, and I assume it's usually very shortly after signing - unless e. g. it's a title that didn't air yet in Japan or the contract with another company hasn't expired yet. So yes, infinite delays are a problem...

Renewals are not always possible - especially Aniplex is known to be difficult to deal with.
Some companies, especially Funi & CR, are believed to have some auto-renewal clause in their contract so renewals had to be cancelled by either them or Japan. Saves a lot of paperwork on both ends...

Back