UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I think the price point for the Tower of God UE is a good one, its just dependent on it being a show I like or not. Which tower of god is not.

If they were to release a Gunbuster or the Macross Plus UE at that price, I would be happy to pay it.

I don't like the A4 size of the UE's however. I just don't have the space to keep them on my shelves. I would much prefer they go the Eureka 7 or Wolfs rain route and have a regular chipboard box with an art book separately. Or the FMP or TIR UE's were good too.

I personally not a fan of UE's either as they won't sit on my shelves. 🙂

I love Nadia the Secret of Blue Water (I just skip most of the island episodes) but I already own the Animatsu Blu-ray release and can't possibly justify paying what AL are asking for this release sadly particularly given the issues with the masters used :(

I had also planned just to swap discs from a standard set, but then I saw the new art work on the box - and for less than £18 with VAT removed, 15% AU discount, and free international shipping, I decided to toss a copy of the new CE release into my order.

Yikes, Gainax/Khara sure have a high opinion of themselves. I presume it's licensing costs that cause the Eva and Nadia UEs to hit such price points. I'm starting to dread what Gunbuster will cost.
Gainax don't own the rights to Gunbuster anymore. Iirc they sold off the series to a law firm to service their debts, Gainax pretty much became a zombie company when all their best talent left to form Trigger.

Thanks, but knowing myself, if I were to get the series, I'll probably get the movie for completionists sake.

And judging by your comment, I'm guessing you didn't like the series?
The series is great, the film isn't terrible either. The film in isolation is fine, but as a continuation of the series it falls flat with a jarring change in direction of narrative and being overly serious for a sequel to what is essentially a comedy.

Thanks, and secondly, I'm debating about whether I should get the UK release of Space Dandy, or import Funimation's release. The UK release didn't subtitle the insert songs or the OP and ED, but the musical episode had the songs subtitled, plus the subs are locked (although that's not much of a deal-breaker for me as it used to be). I'm not sure if Funimation's US BD release has the same issue in terms of subtitling the insert songs (I know that the subs are optional on their release).

i watched Nadesico earlier this year and to be fair jarring changes are a pretty big part of the series! one scene will have people dying, next scene will be some daft comedy which ends with the kuudere girl calling everyone idiots. it's a fun show but it's all over the place.
I just got the film in the sale, looking forward to more whiplash.

Thanks, and secondly, I'm debating about whether I should get the UK release of Space Dandy, or import Funimation's release. The UK release didn't subtitle the insert songs or the OP and ED, but the musical episode had the songs subtitled, plus the subs are locked (although that's not much of a deal-breaker for me as it used to be). I'm not sure if Funimation's US BD release has the same issue in terms of subtitling the insert songs (I know that the subs are optional on their release).
Personally, as long as it's region B compatible, I would have gone with the US release (if I didn't have the UK DVD already) as long as the subs are unlocked on that version as it's not right to have to pay lots of money for a show and then be unable to toggle the subtitles, I don't have that version myself though so I can't say what the subs during songs are like.

Gainax don't own the rights to Gunbuster anymore. Iirc they sold off the series to a law firm to service their debts
Well that's the most depressing thing I've read for a while.
I was looking at the BOGOF section, and I have a question. Is Martian Successor Nadesico any good for a blind-buy?
I have mixed feelings about Nadesico. The first three episodes are great. But 25 years later I still haven't come to terms with what happened at the end of episode 3. It's a good show, but as others have mentioned it has major tonal whiplash. That said, the current mecha landscape is pretty much a wasteland, so Nadesico is well worth getting.

Avoid the movie though. The series has a decent ending and the movie pisses all over it by being both miserable and inconclusive.

Back