UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Nah, because we'd actually have the news now in that scenario.

It actually feels cruel at this stage to keep leading Gundam fans on. People have money. People want to support the official releases. It really shouldn't be this bloody drawn out and continuously feel like Gundam just is no longer a priority for them.

Tagging in with Andy here on this to add a few points to keep in mind:

1) With Bandai Namco Arts & Sunrise currently merging into one entity - some of the important elements like paperwork and materials are understandable a lot slower than ideal here. Certainly than when things were discussed earlier in the year there. Nobody at fault on either side but it takes time to sort.

2) Gundam remains a priority for us - but please do. understand that firstly the US company releasing it had effectively only Gundam for that period - we have a considerably wider pipeline in the UK of titles and commitments to balance with it too. Combined with (1) it adds another dimension to things.

There certainly isn't a case of when we feel like it though, as we love Gundam and the audience for that is super strong so delivering to folks there is a high priority to us :)! We have a considerable amount of Gundam mapped out but it relies on some administration that is going to naturally take a bit longer just now too. As you know - we try very hard to only announce things as they are close on the horizon nowadays too as mentioned before.

Hope this helps somewhat and we'll be back with more as soon as we can!

Andrew

Tagging in with Andy here on this to add a few points to keep in mind:

1) With Bandai Namco Arts & Sunrise currently merging into one entity - some of the important elements like paperwork and materials are understandable a lot slower than ideal here. Certainly than when things were discussed earlier in the year there. Nobody at fault on either side but it takes time to sort.

2) Gundam remains a priority for us - but please do. understand that firstly the US company releasing it had effectively only Gundam for that period - we have a considerably wider pipeline in the UK of titles and commitments to balance with it too. Combined with (1) it adds another dimension to things.

There certainly isn't a case of when we feel like it though, as we love Gundam and the audience for that is super strong so delivering to folks there is a high priority to us :)! We have a considerable amount of Gundam mapped out but it relies on some administration that is going to naturally take a bit longer just now too. As you know - we try very hard to only announce things as they are close on the horizon nowadays too as mentioned before.

Hope this helps somewhat and we'll be back with more as soon as we can!

Andrew
While you're here, is there any possibility of local 4K Ultra HD releases of Gundam titles? For instance the UHD release for the Gundam Movie Trilogy was well-received last I checked.

That Violet Evergarden CE looks lovely, but I'm disappointed there's no blu-ray-only version of it. The early bird price for the first movie was £30, so an extra £20 for a UHD disc I can't watch is making me seriously consider the standard edition instead, much as I'd like the CE.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. No 4k player so the significant price increase for something I can't use is disappointing. Tbh i do feel a bit left out considering the first collector's set was blu-ray only.

It would be interesting if we get G Gundam, X, 0080, 08th MS Team and Build Fighters Season 1 and Try this year for Gundam releases.
A soild Gundam lineup I would say.

Of course the predictable Seed Destiny may be coming this year.

While you're here, is there any possibility of local 4K Ultra HD releases of Gundam titles? For instance the UHD release for the Gundam Movie Trilogy was well-received last I checked.
I'd rather they not waste their efforts releasing the same Gundam titles again until they've actually released something else, but that's just me. I'll buy whatever Gundam they put out regardless.

That Violet Evergarden CE looks lovely, but I'm disappointed there's no blu-ray-only version of it. The early bird price for the first movie was £30, so an extra £20 for a UHD disc I can't watch is making me seriously consider the standard edition instead, much as I'd like the CE.

Inconsistency, thy name is anime.

It‘s the rare series that looks ‘right’ on my shelves. Most franchises are Frankenstein beasts of different sleeve arts, logos, companies, formats and even regions. What’s one more? Frankly I get more consistency in review check discs.

Inconsistency, thy name is anime.

It‘s the rare series that looks ‘right’ on my shelves. Most franchises are Frankenstein beasts of different sleeve arts, logos, companies, formats and even regions. What’s one more? Frankly I get more consistency in review check discs.
So true. Looking across my collection, I'm struggling to find many franchises that are consistent, anime or not, even where everything was from the same company.

Honestly surprised they didn't do a CE without the 4K disc. JP had a CE with just the blu-ray only.

Also sad they're doing an amaray case. I really loved the way the JP set did it.

IMG-5284.jpg

The Japanese are capable of doing it... I've got lots of perfectly matching series boxsets and singles on my Japanese anime shelves.

I'm not as fussed about such things as some others here are but yeah I think western companies don't tend to do quite as high quality releases, though tbf they are somewhat beholden by having licensed the title from a company overseas and that makes certain aspects of quality packaging probably a bit harder what with how much approval of materials often has to be done and whatnot.

Almost thirty years after airing, the first UK release in any format for Captain Tylor... a year after I spend over 200 quid importing the TRSI Ultimate Edition 😭 Still, I'm going to tell myself that it was worth it for the (admittedly fantastic) art book. And I'm pleased that more people will get to see a great series.

Might get Emma at some point. Don't know why anyone would pre-order the second set when the first is still (at least) a month off, but to each their own.

Also not the biggest fan of this emerging trend of chucking a 4k disc into a movie CE and charging 20 quid extra for it, but I'll probably get VE along with Belle anyway grumblegrumble

Last edited:
Honestly surprised they didn't do a CE without the 4K disc. JP had a CE with just the blu-ray only.

Also sad they're doing an amaray case. I really loved the way the JP set did it.

IMG-5284.jpg
If I remember correctly, Hanners mentioned on the Discord yesterday that a non-4K Collector’s Edition was looked at, but it would have ended up with both SKUs costing more, due to the added cost of the other materials.

Clearly Sentai no longer has the rights so I would imagine that Animatsu no longer has the rights either (It has been oop for a while now) so its very likley AL can and will pick it up, knowing Gkids and AL relationship. Its also already been BBFC'd by Animatsu so that makes it a lot easier especially with the 39 episode count. Might even be possible to get an ultimate edition like what the Koreans got for Nadia, There is definitely enough material.

Back