UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Out of interest @anime_andrew what are the plans regarding InuYasha? Are you planning on replicating the standard edition Viz release or aiming to give it a CE release of sorts? I imagine with the potential of multiple sets for this series coming out over time that this could affect such a decision.

I can jump in on this one (as I'm handling the project!) - this is currently very much in progress and currently on track for a release later this year, so hopefully we'll be able to share more details soon-ish. :)
Thanks. Really looking forward to it ☺.

This would affect sales numbers, as at least brick & mortal stores most likely would refuse to stock these.
On the other hand: The French market is quite small, and at least some of these titles wouldn't make up the costs associated with a French release (e.g. not using US-discs, translating content, getting French license)
How many people buy brick and mortar nowadays? The only one I can think of that does sell anime is HMV and that closed in my city. Maybe Forbidden Planet, but ours has a handful especially compared to their manga selection.
I thought France was a bigger market or am I thinking more of an older demographic that grew up in the 70/80s. Gundam would probably work, but not newer stuff I guess.

Sure thing:
  • Cyber City Oedo 808: Still ongoing - this one has no glorious assets like Perfect Blue did so restoring it to a better quality is pretty painful work really. It's not forgotten and is still moving - just slowly.

• High School Fleet: This one isn't moving currently. This is going to be a turbulent year for independents like us and sadly we need to focus on what we know is going to make back costs sooner (as BBFC cost, authoring and packaging are not cheap as upfront costs). Sadly a Blu-Ray release of High School Fleet is not on that list sadly - as while there are fans it's likely to take a lot longer to make back the costs than initial pre-orders. I'd really hoped to get this out this year but at this stage I'd not hold your breath (never say never though...)
  • InuYasha (Season 1): Ongoing - Season 1 on BD isn't out until July last I checked in the USA so we won't be able to go out until after that :). But it's on our 2020 slate so we'll update when we're ready :).

• Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler: Ongoing - access to language assets is slowing things somewhat here - will keep folks updated though!

• Magic Knight Rayearth: Spent a fair while clearing assets for this one - but it's on-going and moving so stay tuned :). We had some fun assets to chase down for it.

• MEGALOBOX: Ongoing - we'll have news on this one pretty soon so stay tuned :).

• Sword Art Online: Alicization: This one is ongoing and will be following roughly same trajectory as Madman - we'll have more on that soon but expect it in Q3.

• The poor soul that is Turn-A Gundam: Long may it remain tormented. This one we really want to do - but because it's a different structure of deal to normal, things work a bit differently to normal. It remains on the agenda but given the heavy costs associated with releasing it via BBFC it's a bit further up the queue for Gundam. Realistically I'd say not 2020 for it, but 2021 is a confident shot. Rest assured though we do have plenty of Gundam in 2020 for you though!

• We Rent Tsukumogami: Like High School Fleet, it's not moving just now and would love to do something but given lack of any movement Stateside with a licensee too and this being the first time anyone has followed up on it, it's likely to hang tight this year I am afraid.
Please understand that we're working hard to clear all our backlog so you'll see a wave of titles this year that speak to that (Dragon Dentist, Love Live Sunshine Season 2, Utena, Cardcaptor Sakura, Plastic Memories, Konosuba, Ajin Season 2, Violet Evergarden, Full Metal Panic S4, Megalobox, B the Beginning) as well as a raft of new titles like Weathering With You, Promare, Sword Art Online Season 3, Birthday Wonderland and loads of Gundam! we have a few yet to be announced projects left in the bag for this year too :)!

Unfortunately that does leave a few titles we wanted to get out this year as a matter of a priority a bit further out than we'd like and while we were at the start of the year on-track to clear our whole backlog out - that just isn't going to be practical now given the shift in resources in the current climate. It's as frustrating for us as it is for y'all too but we're thankful right now for managing a much more consistent flow of content this year and we continue to adjust when we announce titles to keep that gap between announcement and release shorter than in the past :).

Very best,

AP
First things first, I am very happy that you were able to offer some updates for each title mentioned, I figured I would at least bring them up in case no one did. Some I didn't bring up because the outcome was pretty obvious.

The BBFC was always going to be the release killer of sorts for a few of these titles so it's completely understandable they would be pushed back until it is safe to do so, like given the recent news that Aniplex teamed up with Funimation to offer standards for Demon Slayer might (and no promises) resolve High School Fleet one day but never say never on that idea. We Rent Tsukumogami I reckon will get picked up one day in the US probably through Discotek since they and TMS tend to get along well. I am glad that ∀nime Limited is going to get more Gundam out at least.

I'm more curious about InuYasha because I wonder if a CE model would be profitable enough for a long series like it, but if does get a CE I'll pick it up if its a way to bring more of the creator's works over here.

How many people buy brick and mortar nowadays?
Depends on how popular the title is - Dragon Ball most likely had other shares than e.g. Love Live.
But I guess outside Amazon and their own store, most other online shops also wouldn't stock these.

I thought France was a bigger market or am I thinking more of an older demographic that grew up in the 70/80s. Gundam would probably work, but not newer stuff I guess.
The French market is different from the UK: Some popular shows that air on TV (like DB, FT, MHA) create a lot of revenue, and several anime were hits in French cinemas. But the rest of the anime home video market is small, with several popular titles not even aviable for sale in France - and others DVD-only to avoid costs associated with Blu-ray-mastering.

Birthday Wonderland

I can jump in on this one (as I'm handling the project!) - this is currently very much in progress and currently on track for a release later this year, so hopefully we'll be able to share more details soon-ish. :)

AgonizingRepulsiveDiscus-max-1mb.gif

Woah, really exciting getting some updates on future releases! Looking forward to Utena and Rayearth mostly (with a bit of leftover hype towards FMP IV), but any update - even on stuff I am currently not interested in - is appreciated.

Thanks for the update @anime_andrew and @Hanners!
It's nice to know we are getting plenty of Anime releases this year!

I'm also intrigued that there are some more titles that are unannounced, I wonder what they are?
hoping for some amazon titles like Dropkick on My Devil or Happy Sugar Life but they're probably too niche, then again they did announce a new love live release so there is some hope

Very niche hope but I'd love AL to license some of Studio Irodori's works. Be great to have releases for Kemurikusa, Keifuku-san and the infamous Kemono Friends

Since we are speaking of wishes and hopes, I would like an UK (or just any English region B) Blu-ray release of the Mononoke / Ayakashi series (granted there might have been one I missed back in the day?).

Though I am more than happy for AL to just focusing on minimising their backlog.

Back