UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

So I’m gonna email Bandai and see if you guys really weren’t given permission to use the Yoshida artwork on Maquia, if the now deleted French Tweet is true (which I doubt). I can understand choosing different art, but if that’s a lie about not being able to, then I hate to call bullsh*t, because if it’s simply untrue, it sets a false image about the Japanese licensor and the restrictions imposed on international distributors.

I think this needs some clarification here before people start throwing unfounded allegations around:

- We could have used the artwork in question on the slip cover of our Maquia release, but we chose not to for our release - while it's a great piece of art in its own right, we don't feel it's representative of the films or its themes, so we chose something we deemed to be more suitable. I know it's a potentially contentious decision for some (enough so to learn Japanese and e-mail a licensor in a fit of pique, apparently!), but it's a subjective decision and one we made based on our own preferences for the design aesthetic of our release!

- Our original plan was to instead use that artwork as the subject of the included poster to make it available as part of our Collectors Edition, but this wasn't allowed due to a licensor restriction - this is what I believe is being referred to by yourself.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Thanks. You are correct. I was referring to a now deleted Tweet from the French branch saying they didn’t get permission from the licensor to use the Yoshida artwork for the CE.

I’m not mad that it isn’t being used, nor am I upset in any way. Just wanted to see if that was deleted for breaching NDA or if it was untrue (and it appears to be the latter).

Again, thanks for the timely response.

(Already knew Japanese before this, BTW. ;))

What's that Yoshida artwork mentioned? That cover from the US CE?
(If it is, I'm preferring the UK one. I haven't wathed the movie yet, but that US CE box cover looks more like a epic fantasy game illustration than something like a family themed tearjerker drama as I heard Maquia is supposed to be.)
Yet I am still a bit conflicted about the SE cover being inside as a folded poster. Was the same for Your Name. Would have rather it be an artcard or somehow the boxcover.

Last edited:
What's that Yoshida artwork mentioned? That cover from the US CE?
(If it is, I'm preferring the UK one. I haven't wathed the movie yet, but that US CE box cover looks more like a epic fantasy game illustration and something like a family theme tearjerker drama as I heard Maquia is supposed to be.)
Yet I am still a bit conflicted about the SE cover being inside as a folded poster. Was the same for Your Name. Would have rather it be an artcard or somehow the boxcover.
Yeah the JP LE BD art. Tbh the only art I think is good is the main poster art.

Yeah the JP LE BD art.
pasted-image-0-1.png

epic fantasy game illustration
Yeah and definately not representative of the film. I mean look at Maquia's pose! Just weird.
I think ALs choice is definitely the best as she spends much more time in the film with the child version of Ariel, IIRC.

pasted-image-0-1.png

Yeah and definately not representative of the film. I mean look at Maquia's pose! Just weird.
I think ALs choice is definitely the best as she spends much more time in the film with the child version of Ariel, IIRC.
iirc young child Ariel is only like 10 mins though as its mostly him as a baby then him as a teenager. As a child he has that speech he will look after her then it skips to about 5/6 years later where she pretends to be his sister now. (And then the whole battle part if that was removed from the film I think I would love this film)

ReZero part 2 (with box) says sold out on ALs site

Hanners said he plans to see how many copies zavvi have left, and maybe get some to sell on their store, but at the moment we definitely know 500 out of 1000 boxes have sold.

Also on another note the Nadesico Standard Edition Special Offer puts the total price of the sets at like £1.20 less than Nadeisco's CE was sold at normally (£41.99)

I think this needs some clarification here before people start throwing unfounded allegations around:

- We could have used the artwork in question on the slip cover of our Maquia release, but we chose not to for our release - while it's a great piece of art in its own right, we don't feel it's representative of the films or its themes, so we chose something we deemed to be more suitable. I know it's a potentially contentious decision for some (enough so to learn Japanese and e-mail a licensor in a fit of pique, apparently!), but it's a subjective decision and one we made based on our own preferences for the design aesthetic of our release!

While I do like said artist's works, totally agree with it not being representative of the film and the artwork used for the UK edition fits a lot better. Nice call!

So I can’t say Maquia is overpriced Cos it doesn’t include the other book?
Cos without it I can’t see why it’s £10 more than normal films.
I'm confident there's a valid reason, but we don't need to know everything. There's a cheaper, standard alternative if the CE is too expensive for people.

Back