UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

All this Okada talk and not a single mention of Lull in the Sea. Smh.

I dont mind as much if we dont get sentai blu-rays since they all work on ps3/4. Got both Clannad sets from a uk ebay seller a couple of years ago. 😊

All this Okada talk and not a single mention of Lull in the Sea. Smh.

I dont mind as much if we dont get sentai blu-rays since they all work on ps3/4. Got both Clannad sets from a uk ebay seller a couple of years ago. 😊
It's on the list!

And it's on my pile of shame! (I imported mine though)

An interesting discussion here. Looking at Okada’s works the ones I’ve watched I’ve mainly liked, Fujiko Mine was pretty engaging. I do admit though the melodrama at times in her works doesn’t always gel with me, and the endings can be hit or miss.

For example I recall giving AnoHana a great rating but if I watched it now that rating would probably be a bit lower, since I’ve sort of grown weary of stories that use plot devices and characters solely to emotionally manipulate the audience (my recent viewing of YLiA narrowly scraped by on its great rating thanks to the music elements because of its ending and the implications behind it.)

Am interested in watching Hisone and Masotan which is in my backlog atm.

Speaking of Okada, has ever anyone watched this?
DT Eightron
MALs lists a mere "scored by 344 users" atm.
(I've got the French box on my sales pile btw, lol.)
I was rather surprised when I saw her name pop up in the credits. I'd say that's the one absolutely nobody talks about.

I feel for her people do ignore the crap she's done she recently did the lost village but nobody ever mentions her in relation to it. They give her more breaks than I've seen with most other writers.

People ignore Lost Village because she was, apparently, only the script supervisor.

Generally speaking I like a lot of shows that Okada has worked on. I adore Pet Girl, Gosick, Anthem of the Heart, Maquia and Vampire Knight. Enjoyed Toradora, AnoHana, Nagi no Asukara, Blast of Tempest, Kiznaiver and Dragon Pilot; which I recently finished. I think the good far outweighs any of the bad, although admittedly my love for Pet Girl would trump anything.

Speaking as someone who interviewed her last year, I find it difficult to hate on Okada. Pre Gundam IBO the only example of her work I had was Canaan, and I loved that. She's a real Marmite creative, there seems to be no middle ground.

So far, in terms of stuff I've seen that Okada had involvement in, I saw Anohana, The Anthem of the Heart, A Lull in the Sea, Kiznaiver, Dragon Pilot and The Lost Village. I loved the first three, I quite liked the next two (despite problems with the former (Kiznaiver)) and I felt that The Lost Village was Okada's weakest. I'm interested in checking out other shows and movies that Okada did which includes 2 which had involvement from Shoji Kawamori (AKB0048 and Aquarion Evol).

The only show that Okada did I definitely won't be checking out is Kodomo no Jikan.

Anyway, this should really be its own topic, as we've been going off-topic for quite a while at this point.

Generally speaking I like a lot of shows that Okada has worked on. I adore Pet Girl, Gosick, Anthem of the Heart, Maquia and Vampire Knight. Enjoyed Toradora, AnoHana, Nagi no Asukara, Blast of Tempest, Kiznaiver and Dragon Pilot; which I recently finished. I think the good far outweighs any of the bad, although admittedly my love for Pet Girl would trump anything.

I have similar views as you do on her works - I totally enjoyed Gosick, Lull in the Sea (two of my mum's most favorite anime), Blast of Tempest, Kiznaiver, Anthem, and IBO (one of the very few Gundam series I even care for). Toradora I loved the drama parts, but the comedy was almost too much for me. Dragon Pilot was decent. I have not seen Maquia or Anohana yet, but will probably like them quite a bit. I don't watch shows like Pet Girl, so I haven't seen that one.

None of her shows have been average (I would say if IBO wasn't Gundam it is). But I do love some of her stuff I just dont like the culture round her which did dramatically damage Maquia like she is a good writer I shouldn't be excited for her directorial debut but the whole marketing was that and the plot felt second, when the mother son bond is the saving grace of it.

Kind of sad, that nobody mentions Red Garden among the Okada titles. (The songs inserts were kind of terrible though. At least it was just a couple of minutes a few times.)

Back