UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

As a collector of artbooks from Japan, I can safely say softback artbooks are the norm over hardback actually so usually I do it to be consistent for people’s collections. I acknowledge they also do dust jackets too that I should consider to finish the effect though :).

Genuine ask beyond thedoctor2016 though - dies hardback matter++ to collectors here? Will factor in going forwards if so.

AP
I personally prefer hardback due to the issues mentioned by @Seronas involving spine creasing but paperback is fine and it's ultimately the content within the books that matter most to me overall. I'm yet to be disappointed with any of the books in the AL UEs I own so far.

And there’s no way I can justify making a loss on an edition like this to justify something I said hypothetically I’d like to do either :). Hope that makes sense as when I said it I didn’t envision something on this scale would be possible but the EB price already puts it in a tough area.

Sorry it’s not greater news but hope you can understand the challenge!

Best,

AP

Regardless of my personal position, I do believe that the offer should be on the table, as owners of the Collector's Editions with deeper pockets than mine will probably appreciate it.

As a collector of artbooks from Japan, I can safely say softback artbooks are the norm over hardback actually so usually I do it to be consistent for people’s collections. I acknowledge they also do dust jackets too that I should consider to finish the effect though :).

Genuine ask beyond thedoctor2016 though - dies hardback matter++ to collectors here? Will factor in going forwards if so.

AP

Personally I prefer to have hardback for the bigger books in the UE's and in situations like the white Kiznaiver book. But where the artbook is included inside the artbox of a normal CE release I prefer a softcover.

Also am absolutely loving the Cowboy Bebop UE, the vinyl case will come in very handy for the soundtracks you guys are releasing in future. (even if I have nowhere to put it ;))

I like my books/manga soft when reading.

All the various booklets/artbooks etc from various UE/CE I have are still in the boxes. If it was separate I don't think I have a preference as I would maybe look through them once, but would probably like them to be consistent.

Very cool looking set, would love to put it on the top of a bookshelf or some sort, but since I already have the discs that's all I'd be buying it for, and £100+ is a lot for a cool bookend :)

Regarding artbooks, I can't say I really have a preference for hardback or softcover. If I had a large collection, I'd probably prefer softcover due to the total weight. I went through a brief period of collecting game guides (including a lot of the hardback collector's edition ones), and those things are heavy once you get a small collection going. They're also like, 500+ pages though, so not a sound comparison.

Regarding softcover, I don't really buy spine-creasing being an issue: I don't have a huge collection, but most softcover anime/game/etc artbooks tend to be less than 200 pages, no? As such, the spines aren't exactly very wide (barely bigger than a magazine of similar page count) so there's not exactly much to crease. The only spine issues I've ever had are with Dark Horse's Kurosagi omnibuses, which are basically just three regular volumes duct-taped together in terms of how wide they are. And It wasn't even an issue of creasing, just warping of the overall spine when reading due to how wide they are.

I would like to see more dustcovers though, just in general. It's my biggest gripe with English published manga. Even your typical bog-standard Japanese tankoubon has a nice glossy/matte dustcover that just makes it feel like a much nicer product compared to the English equivalent.

I would like to see more dustcovers though, just in general. It's my biggest gripe with English published manga. Even your typical bog-standard Japanese tankoubon has a nice glossy/matte dustcover that just makes it feel like a much nicer product compared to the English equivalent.
Like Aniplex does it?
dOZSNjU.png

The Bebop case looks cool, although I'd have nowhere to store it. I appreciate the idea behind some of the premier designs like FMA 2003's Gate design, but I'd much prefer simpler collector boxes set, both in terms of style and space. Not that it matters though - having already bought AL's original sets and the movie from manga, I have no particular urge to double dip for the extras, so the release was never really catered towards me.

I will say I appreciate the effort in making the casing as authentic as possible. I mean just compare with Sentai's upcoming K-On Ultimate Edition if you want to see what a true novelty set looks like.

Dnsub3_WkAA0WwU.jpg816726029719_anime-k-on-complete-collection-premium-box-set-blu-ray-altb.jpg

Last edited:
Also, what was the issue with Wolf's Rain UE in regards to not fitting on the shelf briefly mentioned a few pages back? I don't own it yet but I have the Escaflowne & Eureka 7 UEs, & really appreciate how the actual blu ray cases can be stored separately with other disk sets. Are the dimensions of the Wolf's Rain set bigger than those examples?

@anime_andrew There's one or two questions that I hope you don't mind me asking. Since I went for the Funimation version I heard that the UK version turned out to be a little better and since I don't mind double-dipping for UK discs I'm down for upgrading to the 20th anniversary set.

The first question I want to ask is how large is the set? I ask this because assuming it's going to be big how would the discs be handled. Because my first reaction was something like a repeat of Gurren Lagann, or are you experimenting with something similar to @Anime's Stand Alone Complex set assuming it's larger than normal.

Second question is the SRP. Now I know some have probably already answered this but is it expected to be between £100-150 or £150-200 would you reckon? If an early bird offer is planned that would help as well.

Third and final question is actually for something completely different entirely. I would like to know if the Perfect Blue Ultimate Edition is still on schedule for this Q4 or has that been pushed back to 2019? I'm definitely down for that release. I watched the first for the first time with the Anime Ltd collector's set back in November 2013, also my first Anime Ltd purchase. I really liked the film and I'm down for a re-watch with the new encode.

Exactly. The only difference between the "Non shelf friendly" Escaflowne and Eureka Seven and Wolfs Rain is Escaflowne has a much nicer box! A box that you can actually put on your shelf if you have the space for it or just remove the CE's and put those on your shelf instead, same as the new more "shelf friendly" UE's. :rolleyes:

I'm Ok with UE editions the size of Escaflowne/Patema Inverted/Giovanni's Island, since the custom shelves I constructed for my anime collection have shelf openings that just happen to be sized perfectly for those UE editions - they just fit inside, and flush with the front edge of the shelving. :cool:

escaboxfit.jpg

I'm Ok with UE editions the size of Escaflowne/Patema Inverted/Giovanni's Island, since the custom shelves I constructed for my anime collection have shelf openings that just happen to be sized perfectly for those UE editions - they just fit inside, and flush with the front edge of the shelving. :cool:

escaboxfit.jpg
Kind of curious why most of your releases are sealed?

Nope, I have a number of art books. If anything I find the softbacks a bit easier to flick through.

I think the flight case is pretty awesome personally, I'll finally have somewhere appropriate to store my cowboy bebop laser disc set now.

What sort of stuff are we expecting in the artbook if you can comment? I have a copy of 'The Wind' and it's particularly amazing already.

No purchase from me. Unless discs are different and better (like mp3dom as compressionist) then no buy- which they aren't.

I think it's a cool set, but the size is a bit too big for me.

Seriously Andrew- you know the guy, (at least that's what he told me) so why not work out an agreement between AL/@Anime and Dynit? That way, everybody wins.

I’d point out it’s not novelty packaging, it’s a fully functional and strong flight case for vinyl LPs :).

AP
Cannot wait for this set due to this as I've been looking for a Vinyl case for a few weeks not but been putting it off (thankfully I did)

As asked on twitter though:

Vinyl Flight Case but you have chosen CD format for the OST?

(And to expand from my previous tweet)
I think this would have been a really good First for the Vinyl OST line for Anime Limited

Like, really good first

Andrew replied on Twitter so I'm happy

Still wont lie, I would have preferred at least a partial vinyl release (like the US set had with its 2 disk vinyl release in their special edition) but...

Last edited:
Back