UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Maybe using the word Incompetent was a bit harsh on my part, but people making excuses and normalizing the practice of Al releasing a defective product then expecting everybody to be grateful that their replacing the defective product they shouldn't have released in the first place.

Instead of wasting money replacing defective products invest the money on processes that stops defective products going into retail in the first place e.g employ someone to QC things.

Watanabe Ken you must be some kind of idiot,
You know that AL is one of the smallest companies worldwide if not the smallest. But its releases are some of the greatest worldwide, even if you compare them with Japan bluray boxes. I cant say the same for Manga or Mvm. So the only way for idiots like you to wake up, is to start thinking how things would stand if there was not any AL company at all.

I'm as concerned and disappointed as anyone with how these discs have allegedly turned out, but let's be fair to Anime Limited for a minute. They only became aware of these issues over the weekend and only one employee was in the office yesterday, owing to deserved R&R after Comic Con. I expect investigations will have likely commenced today and we may hear more in the coming days.

While Anime Limited produced the extra materials, disc authoring duties were assigned to Madman, who generally have a solid reputation. So I can appreciate how Anime Limited would have felt more comfortable with their fellow professionals, especially given the apparent tight turnaround for this release. For their other titles, Anime Ltd does thorough QC work and when issues have been internally identified, their actions have often spoke louder than words - so maybe we should withhold the hyperbole and allegations until we hear something concrete from Anime Ltd HQ?

Last edited:
As a reminder, please remember to debate the point, not the person. Personal attacks don't help anyone and only ruin the discussion for everyone else. Whatever your opinion on this situation, please remember to express it respectfully – posts that exist only to bash other members will be removed. Thanks :)

Watanabe Ken you must be some kind of idiot,
You know that AL is one of the smallest companies worldwide if not the smallest. But its releases are some of the greatest worldwide, even if you compare them with Japan bluray boxes. I cant say the same for Manga or Mvm. So the only way for idiots like you to wake up, is to start thinking how things would stand if there was not any AL company at all.
You seem to be under some notion that I don't appreciate AL when in actual fact I show my appreciation in the only way that counts.... by buying the products they put out.

But I do regret my earlier wording I used to describe AL and whole heartedly Apologize to Andrew and co and will continue to show my appreciation of all there hard work by continuing to buy the Lovely products they release.

Last edited:
I can understand both sides Your Name has been one of the most anticipated and hyped releases, so you expect a nearly perfect release. So when the opposite happens it's natural for fans to be disappointed and annoyed. So then you start to question how could the ball be dropped on a big release even slip through with problems like that, then wonder especially for small company are AL taking on too much.

Other fans saying it's not AL fault it's Madman and they should take all the blame, AL have released good products in the the past. They are small company they can't release every product flawless.

I think there should balance on both sides have good points

Given some of the things the UK (and US) market has weathered in the past dating right back to the VHS days, I'm withholding my own worries until the team has had a reasonable amount of time to check the discs thoroughly after what would have been an exhausting out of town exhibition at the weekend; we're no strangers to locked subs, deliberately downgraded video/audio, missing episodes, messed up light levels/banding, unsynced audio, missing audio tracks or any number of other localisation issues. People who were really looking forward to getting flawless video/audio are allowed to be disappointed, of course. If Madman isn't QCing discs properly, I trust that AL will be giving them some firm feedback. And feedback from a distributor giving you a large sum for your production work is worth a lot more than feedback from a solitary videophile fan on the Internet.

It's lucky that with Your Name there are lots of versions around; I feel saddest when it's a title with only one global release which ends up disappointing in some way.

(For the record when I start making confrontational posts in an official distributor topic it's a jolly good idea to stop doing the thing you were doing or PM me to argue it in private, because I am much harsher on laying down the rules - it's classed under trolling and disruption, by the way - in the official topics where the reps are being good enough to take our feedback on board. Any further unproductive griping will result in an unceremonious thread split and an ominous private message from yours truly.)

R

I should State wili Madman are the largest in AU quite a few of there releases have been Sloppy and often its due to the stuff they were given or the fact that they took the easy way out on aouthering

Also @jermaygraves

@anime_andrew

BIG O ?

(For the record when I start making confrontational posts in an official distributor topic it's a jolly good idea to stop doing the thing you were doing or PM me to argue it in private, because I am much harsher on laying down the rules - it's classed under trolling and disruption, by the way - in the official topics where the reps are being good enough to take our feedback on board. Any further unproductive griping will result in an unceremonious thread split and an ominous private message from yours truly.)

R
Message heard loud and clear just pelease don't tell my parent's

Reading that review now has me a little worried. I have a 50" Panasonic VT30 which is ISF calibrated so the problems with the gamma and black levels would be annoying.

I mean, you could also hook a PC or laptop up to your TV and look at these images to get an estimate regarding the gamma and black levels. Don't mean to be an ass or anything but I would not buy a release that looks like this, nor would I recommend it to someone else. Unless we see some major changes for actual retail discs that is.

Reading that review now has me a little worried. I have a 50" Panasonic VT30 which is ISF calibrated so the problems with the gamma and black levels would be annoying. I'll wait to see what AL have to say but I may be switching just to the standard release rather than the UE. Such a shame.
I posted the review setup on UKA for those that are interested: [Review] Your Name - Blu-ray :)

The bit you'll probably be interested in is: "TV - Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090".

On the opposite end of the spectrum, a certain other big movie release which was actually handled by Anime Limited came out yesterday, and it's basically identical to the Japanese BD. Taking that into account, as well as most of the extras from the Japanese release being present (and of course the movie being really damn good), I'd definitely recommend picking it up a copy to anyone who may have had any reservations about it.

Do we know whether ASV is region B-only or less restrictive? I should pick up a few copies for gifting at Christmas and it would be handy to ensure everyone can watch it ok; I think my mum would enjoy it.

R

Do we know whether ASV is region B-only or less restrictive? I should pick up a few copies for gifting at Christmas and it would be handy to ensure everyone can watch it ok; I think my mum would enjoy it.

R
Back of my copy says B/2. As for the quality it seems to be very good, didn't AL author this themselves and pay for the English dub, which is pretty good too. Currently watching it, they've cut some stuff from the manga which I feel was important, plus some stuff not so much.

Back