UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

MVM always have around ten licences to announce at London MCM. It’s not their fault that Manga had nothing (apparently burned their bridges with Sentai as well as Funi), or indeed not their fault that Crunchymation is effectively in limbo since the Sony buyout. Seriously, nothing from them. This has just been a weak year.

I think the difference is regarding the popularity of shows this time around. Occasionally MVM gets hold of a big hitter like Fate Zero, but from my experience they tend to normally go after the mid-tier stuff from Sentai, Aniplex, NISA etc. Now that Amazon has the ability to pick what they think look like the big hitters in the west, MVM's going to benefit from the trickle down effect from the Sentai partnership. Obviously, nothing's static, but I suspect at the very least 2018 will be a good year for them.

I've heard rumours, but I'm not really sure what happened re: the Manga's relationship with the US licensers. Did that occur during their time under Stars, or afterwards?

Last edited:
'Weak year' is kind of how I'd sum up this MCM as a whole. Don't get me wrong, AL provided some great content at the show itself and the Utena news is nothing to sniff at but none of the news really rocked me and the con as a whole felt somewhat lackluster compared to recent outings. Not very many guests and those who were there seemed bound to signing all day, not panels.

Now MCM have been bought out I'll be interested to see how things play out in 2018.

Utena is one great piece of news in an otherwise incredibly rough weekend (lost licenses, Your Names woes & MVM using the Sentai/Amazon partnership to basically steamroll the competition.. yeesh). Well, that's definitely one new release I'll picking up from AL. It can sit right next to my lovely Nozomi dvd sets.

Was a steamrollering really what happened here for anyone? Manga have moved smartly to a model where conventions are not the focal point of announcements because they wait until their release date is in sight - which is a very smart move and I know a few titles they will likely announce in the next year as a result. Much respect from me!

Whereas we are a mixed model, take this October where we sit in between as we simulcast (so King's Game and LLSS S2 most recently), work on titles we want to promote now (Violet Evergarden), talk about films we have upcoming (Tokyo Ghoul) and titles coming in the next 6 months or so on homevideo (Junjo Romantica and Utena) along with new initiatives like Vinyl (A Silent Voice, Trigun 20th Anniversary Set) and generally were level about what was going on with licenses and we just put our announcements over long enough for folks to digest them :).

Gone are the days where most companies even in the USA will announce huge numbers of shows because all the models of consumption have changed :)! Doesn't mean MVM are wrong to do it that way but when you take in context everyone else has moved the goal posts for how success is defined, it's a bit harder to describe any win / lose style discussions (we certainly don't).

Best,

AP

I am very curious to see how Utena will be handled.

Just to recap, here's the Utena US contents:
Set 1:
  • Discs: 3
  • On-disc Content:
    • Clean Opening & Closing
    • Live-action video for Opening single
    • TV Spot for Opening single
    • TV spots
Set 2:
  • Discs: 3
  • On-disc Content:
    • Animated Art Gallery
    • 1997 Utena Promotion
    • Interviews with Utena Director Ikuhara.
Set 3:
  • Discs: 4 (3 for TV, 1 for Movie)
  • On-disc Content (TV Extras on the 3 TV discs):
    • Animated Art Gallery
    • Interviews with Director Kunihiko Ikuhara
    • Interview with Actresses Tomoko Kawakami ("Utena") and Yuriko Fuchizaki ("Anthy")
    • Interviews with the English-language cast
    • Japanese Staff Commentary for episodes 37-39
    • Dueling Themes Karaoke
    • TV Spots
    • Trailers
Collector's Edition:
  • Replica Rose Crest Ring
  • Replica Black Rose Crest Ring
  • 264-page Limited Edition Artbook with Sliver Foil Numbering

I'm rather satisfied to see Utena coming to Blu-ray under Anime Ltd's label. Junjo is a random one but I assume it's just standard edition sets like Castle Town Dandelion (I can't see it selling well in collector's form).

So can I take it from AL only talking about titles they have coming in the next 6 months (A solid plan in my opinion) we can't expect anything Gundam, SAO movie, K season 2 +movie, etc anytime before Q2 2018?

So can I take it from AL only talking about titles they have coming in the next 6 months (A solid plan in my opinion) we can't expect anything Gundam, SAO movie, K season 2 +movie, etc anytime before Q2 2018?

No - I'm talking about announcing new licenses. Gundam ZZ Part 2 is in line-up still for Q4 2017 and after that we'll confirm what's coming up post-haste after, K S2 + Movie in Q1 (at present) for 2018 and SAO Movie is just depending on some holdbacks releasing but I expect Q1 all going well.

All of which we've announced before for different reasons, hence why they're not discussed yet just until the dates are locked for release :)!

Best,

Andrew

... Gundam ZZ Part 2 is in line-up still for Q4 2017 and after that we'll confirm what's coming up post-haste after...

It's a relief just to know there is something coming up after, so I look forward to seeing it!

(also, thanks in general to AL for the Gundam stuff. It really was weird putting in an officially released UK blu-ray of ZZ Gundam last week. I took great pleasure in binning my DVD-R fansubs of the show!)

Hey all. Away from all the MCM talk for a second, just to make it known as I know a lot of you order from our web shop :) , I'm in the process of going through anyone's who has tried to contact customer service since the latter half of last week. I honestly don't know who said it or where it was said, but I am aware someone one here was annoyed they hadn't had a response following an email they sent from last week.

So if you haven't had a response yet, many apologies but it's because our entire team were all on-site at MCM. I'm sorry a delay in response has annoyed you. There was an automatic response setup highlighting there would be delay in response, but I'm now to understand this wasn't sent to some who contacted us - based on some follow-up messages I've had the pleasure of reading...

Am trying and back to as many people as I can today, so please know I'm on this and you will get an answer either today from me or possibly from another member of Team AL tomorrow once more people are back in our HQ following MCM. Hope this helps.

Was a steamrollering really what happened here for anyone? Manga have moved smartly to a model where conventions are not the focal point of announcements because they wait until their release date is in sight - which is a very smart move and I know a few titles they will likely announce in the next year as a result. Much respect from me!

Whereas we are a mixed model, take this October where we sit in between as we simulcast (so King's Game and LLSS S2 most recently), work on titles we want to promote now (Violet Evergarden), talk about films we have upcoming (Tokyo Ghoul) and titles coming in the next 6 months or so on homevideo (Junjo Romantica and Utena) along with new initiatives like Vinyl (A Silent Voice, Trigun 20th Anniversary Set) and generally were level about what was going on with licenses and we just put our announcements over long enough for folks to digest them :).

Gone are the days where most companies even in the USA will announce huge numbers of shows because all the models of consumption have changed :)! Doesn't mean MVM are wrong to do it that way but when you take in context everyone else has moved the goal posts for how success is defined, it's a bit harder to describe any win / lose style discussions (we certainly don't).

Best,

AP
MVM tend to release there titles at a reasonable time after they are announced whereas a certain other anime distributor has a backlog of titles announced MCM's ago.

So if you think about it announcing there acquisitions at MCM is there reward for running a competent business.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'd buy Utena, but I would check it out if it was made available on Crunchyroll.
Wow Revolutionary Girl Utena I hope it's gets a blue ray ultimate edition and I'm willing to pay up to £299 for a ue box set even though I have all 3 box sets on DVDs.

Wow Revolutionary Girl Utena I hope it's gets a blue ray ultimate edition and I'm willing to pay up to £299 for a ue box set even though I have all 3 box sets on DVDs.

Its already been confirmed this will be a collectors edition not Ultimate. Also I highly doubt many people would throw £300 at it either.

Has anyone who ordered the A Silent Voice CE from Anime-on-line received a dispatch email yet? Or are they also affected by the delay?

Back