UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

probably because anime is so niche and wouldn't sell enough copies to justify putting a 12 episode show on 5+ discs like the Japanese do.

You can have up to 6 episodes/BD50 disc with maxed-out settings and have some small room for short extras (textless opening/ending, spots, promos and similar).

Last edited:
I never watch a single extra on any release, either for anime or live action movies, and I can't stand using a dub to watch anime, so I would much prefer the absence of both over sacrificing the video quality of the main feature just to put extra garbage on the disc. I would gladly pay more for releases that put all the extras on a separate disc, if it meant leaving the original JP bitrates alone. And I really get pissed when the bitrate is lowered simply to be able to cram 9-12 episodes on one BD50, and the remaining 3-4 episodes on a BD25, just to save a little on cost - there should be a law against that! I sure wish more Japanese releases included English subtitles - I'd probably do nothing but import my anime directly, then. Give me more discs with 4-6 episodes max with the highest bitrates to fill a BD50, anytime.

Even if you don't bother with extras or dubs, a lot of people do, and I highly doubt that there'd be enough people that would bother buying a separate, high bit rate release for them to bother producing, especially when anime is a niche already, producing releases for a niche within that niche just isn't economically feasible.

The issue for me is that I wanted the steelbook for the steelbook and I wanted the deluxe edition for the packaging. I was willing to write off the first £25 of the deluxe edition to get both and end up with a second copy of the film I didn't need because I knew you'd do a good job with both.

So £75 I happily spent. £75 ball park that could have been spent on the 4k edition direct (as that seems to be around the current price) from Japan because I wanted to support the UK industry. £75 that I chose to spend on an edition that lacks 4k (which I am a major proponent of) again to support the UK industry and to get the dub. Now it's looking like not only do I end up with the technically inferior product I expected due to lack of 4k (which was entirely my decision) but the double whammy of an inferior blu-ray encode.

Side note too - the 4K materials is just impossible to access if you are one company as the cost is five figures to access the master materials alone there - not including authoring costs etc. Worth noting is that we do plan to go back to 4K down the line over the next few years as other countries join the access fee to make it more affordable...

Don't worry too - good that people are passionate too so don't worry if you feel you're ranting!

Andrew

But then if the video quality is a serious issue then I don't understand calling people out as entitled for not wanting to buy a £50 set. People come to these sets first and foremost to watch the Anime and then the extras are there to supplement that for anyone who wants it. For example and I'm being alittle over the top here but if the Your Name DE £50 was on VHS then I doubt as many people would have bought it despite the extras included. I think it is heavily unfair to label people as entitled for calling out what seems to be serious QC problems with the video on this release.

I'm calling out people for coming across as entitled to more in terms of disc quality than someone buying the standard edition of the same format. Video quality should not be gated depending on what price you pay for the product on day of release - the price upwards is solely focussed on what else is included (which in rare cases could include extra features I guess, but certainly not the film).

Your example is also off the mark because it's a different format outmoded for the time. If this were back in the 90s and you could get a version on one VHS tape at £19.99 but for £59.99 you could get a better version on say the same VHS tape because of some magic trick - that would be the same as my example and you could replace it with Blu-Ray and get the same case.

So my point was it's fine to say you don't want the Deluxe - but you're not paying for the discs, that's included at the £19.99 quality. What you get beyond that SRP are the other extras which in this case are in:
  • Collector's Edition @ £34.99:
    • Steelbook
    • DVD
    • BD
    • OST
  • Deluxe Editon @ £59.99:
    • DVD
    • BD
    • OST
    • Fully translated 128 page book
    • 10 art cards including one certifying the number of the release
    • A3 poster of the Japanese keyart
    • Extra item to be confirmed shortly now it's cleared

As someone who has bought ALOT of anime as many know I've been heavily frustrated by US, UK/AU companies brightening the video from the Japanese release, I can accept bitrate differences due to discs etc but the incessant need to brighten the video is something that seems to always happen. When seen side by side on this comparison even without the VQ problems of the AU release the brightness change is so annoying as it adds nothing.

This confuses me too by the by.

Anyway I'm veering away from my point which is I think it is incredibly unfair to call people entitled for not wanting to spend money on a set which while lovely in it's presentation the actual disc ,with which the purchase was first and foremost made, is lacking apparently in some serious areas.

Also worth noting I'm speaking as someone who currently has just the CE on pre order.

My point is it's no more entitled than wanting it from the standard BD there, nothing more, nothing less :). The more you pay covers the extra costs - they don't come for free and take a lot of work to make happen beyond the disc...

Best,

Andrew

I don't think people were suggestion they are paying more so deserve a better BD.

They are saying a poor BD makes paying alot of money for a extra special set feel pointless as the main product in the set to them is defective.

(I'm not buying YN in general at the moment, just stating what I can read from the convo)

Enjoyed Violet Evergarden. In some ways the plot is a bit cliche (oh look
another anime girl who sees herself only as a living weapon for a man she's fixated on.
) but a good first episode and I want to see where it goes.

I don't think people were suggestion they are paying more so deserve a better BD.

They are saying a poor BD makes paying alot of money for a extra special set feel pointless as the main product in the set to them is defective.

(I'm not buying YN in general at the moment, just stating what I can read from the convo)

Re phrasing - Woah there, let's step backwards for a second and go through the (likely accidental) choice of wording there. Firstly - there is a huge difference between not what you dreamed it would be and defective.

Whatever the video quality (note again I am yet to review it all now) I'd stress that this disc is not defective in any sense of the word. Worst case scenario it'd be disappointing though (especially as we didn't author it).

Honestly even with the usual Madman gamma oddity (which I'm not sure even I entirely get the logic of) it seems as if the situation is you really wouldn't notice anything unless your primary method of watching is a computer where you can quickly pause and stare. That's pending a full look but I chucked it on earlier to check briefly and with motion blur off on the TV in question that's how it seemed (actually seemed beautiful but I'm not a hardcore video person I guess!)

Re the point itself - It's a bit chicken and the egg really - I'm totally OK if people want to downgrade (I mean the BD is a mere £14.99 on Amazon just now) but if you really love the film - what you're paying for there are the other extras is the point and they are only available for a very limited time. However you choose to support the film legally I'm cool with, just making the point that if you're buying the deluxe, it should be based around what comes with not the discs themselves in that case (anymore than the standard BD).

Totally get it's a circular argument though and the more you spend the more you feel the right to be outraged though. Don't feel you have to keep the order on my part there though - I'll understand but I don't want folks missing out because once this one is gone, it's gone sadly :).

Side note related to wording too - also - for anyone calling anything casually eye-cancer, I'd advise you reconsider as it's not good terminology and if you want to be hyperbolic there are other phrases. As someone with friends who have gone through varying types of cancer and have lost people to it - I find it deeply offensive and will not be engaging with those users again, at least for the foreseeable future.

Best,

AP

Enjoyed Violet Evergarden. In some ways the plot is a bit cliche (oh look
another anime girl who sees herself only as a living weapon for a man she's fixated on.
) but a good first episode and I want to see where it goes.

Huh, first time I saw it I didn't even think of it that way but you've got a point xD! Works well with the trope I'd say as I loved it too, feels like a movie quality in a TV episode!

AP

Side note related to wording too - also - for anyone calling anything casually eye-cancer, I'd advise you reconsider as it's not good terminology and if you want to be hyperbolic there are other phrases. As someone with friends who have gone through varying types of cancer and have lost people to it - I find it deeply offensive and will not be engaging with those users again, at least for the foreseeable future.

Best,

AP

It always surprises me that you can word things so well, even when aggravated by others. My hats off to you sir.

Just on a side note, I also find such wording to be highly offensive, albeit for a different reason. I'm visually impaired so find such wording as a slight, I acknowledge its not meant as such but unfortunately that doesn't undo the ramifications. To further complicate things my partner quite literally lost her eyes to eye cancer so finding such flippant comments about what frankly I consider to be a minor issue (I get people will be disappointed but it's a drop in visual quality that I think? Is not a constant, it's not like parts of the film are missing or the screen fades to black or even that it literally becomes unwatchable - things I would consider a major issue) seriously irks me.

Just wish people who make such comments would take a step back and think a little before posting what can easily be egregious to others.

Whatever the video quality (note again I am yet to review it all now) I'd stress that this disc is not defective in any sense of the word. Worst case scenario it'd be disappointing though (especially as we didn't author it).

What you consider defective, and what I consider defective are two different varying sets of opinion. I'll try, and be more careful with the term, but at the moment that's how I view the product.

I'd consider a product that is a video medium to be defective if there are things wrong with its video to the point its visibly noticeable (especially in a film as beautiful as YN).
(Yes I do most of my watching on my PC so can notice this stuff easily)

I'm passing YN anyway since I find films a tad hard to rewatch, but may take a look again when the 4K master you talk about is looked at since I'm interested in 4K anime in general

Just wish people who make such comments would take a step back and think a little before posting what can easily be egregious to others.

I feel bad simply quoting that post to clarify my opinion (even if I didn't make the comment) so mods feel free to edit/remove my post if you want.

----

Anyway...

Off to MCM :) hopefully some AL merch is still available today

Okay folks I'm just going to throw this out there and say that we'll all need to chill for a bit. This topic is quite honestly something, but Anime Ltd already have MCM to deal with which is more than enough stress for them as it is and I don't want to scare off Andrew, Andy, and Jeremy because of this current topic.

I'm not saying that the Your Name discussion topic is wrong but I want to make sure that this thread remains civil and avoiding any terms that could offend (like the one Andrew pointed out). If this conversation escalates then I'll have to move the topic elsewhere.

The Your Name discussion topic can continue for now, but in my opinion feel it might be best to actually wait and have a couple more of us own the film and then check the discs ourselves before proceeding with whatever is deemed 'defective' or a proper problem (like one comparison shot from one location might not be enough to confirm that it's a major disaster).

I understand that select folks are passionate about the quality of an anime disc (which I have no problems with), but all I'm saying is wait a little bit longer before making a final decision.

But seriously try and keep it civil.

Huh, first time I saw it I didn't even think of it that way but you've got a point xD! Works well with the trope I'd say as I loved it too, feels like a movie quality in a TV episode!

AP
Don't get me wrong. It was very enjoyable and I like that
Violet has an epiphany by the end that she's not a healthy human and wants by her own motivation to address it. It's just overall I'm not a fan of anime doing this, especially with young women. There's something a little creepy about how frequently it appears in Japanese fiction.

Okay folks I'm just going to throw this out there and say that we'll all need to chill for a bit. This topic is quite honestly something, but Anime Ltd already have MCM to deal with which is more than enough stress for them as it is and I don't want to scare off Andrew, Andy, and Jeremy because of this current topic.

I'm not saying that the Your Name discussion topic is wrong but I want to make sure that this thread remains civil and avoiding any terms that could offend (like the one Andrew pointed out). If this conversation escalates then I'll have to move the topic elsewhere.

The Your Name discussion topic can continue for now, but in my opinion feel it might be best to actually wait and have a couple more of us own the film and then check the discs ourselves before proceeding with whatever is deemed 'defective' or a proper problem (like one comparison shot from one location might not be enough to confirm that it's a major disaster).

I understand that select folks are passionate about the quality of an anime disc (which I have no problems with), but all I'm saying is wait a little bit longer before making a final decision.

But seriously try and keep it civil.

Don't worry folks, not scared off or shying away from it here - appreciate the consideration though :)! I'd echo this on waiting to see it though because I have a sneaking suspicion that the majority of people will be unfazed by this. I'll be taking a full look myself though next week alongside though.

We care too and we're here to listen as always too :).

AP

I feel bad simply quoting that post to clarify my opinion (even if I didn't make the comment) so mods feel free to edit/remove my post if you want.

----

Anyway...

Off to MCM :) hopefully some AL merch is still available today

Don't sweat it, wasn't referring to quotes :)! Thanks for this!

AP

What you consider defective, and what I consider defective are two different varying sets of opinion. I'll try, and be more careful with the term, but at the moment that's how I view the product.

I'd consider a product that is a video medium to be defective if there are things wrong with its video to the point its visibly noticeable (especially in a film as beautiful as YN).
(Yes I do most of my watching on my PC so can notice this stuff easily)

I'm passing YN anyway since I find films a tad hard to rewatch, but may take a look again when the 4K master you talk about is looked at since I'm interested in 4K anime in general

Got it, but it's just the terminology from a business point of view is very specific as it reflects what we do with DRR and Bebop to change it. In this case we're talking video encodes in theory and not something actually broken - but something that is disappointing potentially (need to see it all way through to comment on that though as I say, which is my night sorted when back!) On a personal level you can call it as you want though of course, just explaining the difference from a biz perspective!

Totally hear you on 4K too, that's a thing we def will come back to but the when is a question until everyone bands together to afford accessing the master materials as you can guess...but I'm keen to do it :).

Best,

AP

I think people just expect too much.4k isn't viable for a niche market in a small country yet and Andrew's insight into cost proves this.
Even if you could push a small company to believe there's sufficient demand and get your product you'd be getting it at the expense of the company and the most likely outcome will be irreparable damage.

How would you feel if AL collapsed and had to leave the UK market because of stupid business decisions?

My understanding is that the encode is the property of the company who produced it. UK labels can't just, for example, copy and paste the .m2ts file of a stateside Criterion release if they're releasing it here; they're provided with a HDCAM (or something like that) master that they have to encode themselves.

I've said this before, but I especially don't see the point in AL paying exorbitant fees for a 4K master when the film wasn't even finished in 4K in the first place. Wait for a title that has a native 4K master that would also be commercially viable (i.e. something Belladonna of Sadness, Momotaro are not). Not many fit the bill; I know that the new Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket transfer was done in 4K.

On another note, thanks @anime_andrew for the chance to see Perfect Blue on the big screen. I didn't get to see any of Kon's films on their original theatrical release, so it was a fantastic experience. Now how long do I have to wait before Millennium Actress? ;)

Won't be there today as had full days Friday and Saturday and the only thing in my area of coverage is the half hour Anime Limited panel.

If you've seen me this weekend I look like a living corpse so will be sitting this one out for some much needed rest.

Back