UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

What did Madman and Funimation do? I'm a bit out of the loop on those issues.

Funimation changed the colour timing on Akira, made the colour more 'poppy', they also DNR'd Cowboy Bebop and then added artificial grain. Madman applied DNR to their Ghibli releases. It's not bad, but noticeable in comparison screenshots, especially on the older, film source titles.

Do the UK releases suffer from the same issues or should I just import the US sets?

The more recent Studiocanal releases of Ghibli titles were authored locally, and aren't affected, films like Marnie, The Wind Rises, Grave of the Fireflies, The Red Turtle. It's the ones that use Madman masters that might be cause for concern. Note that the US releases aren't perfect either. Fans have have complained in the past about Disney's subtitling, the audio, the dubs, and have hoped that GKids would fix everything, only it seems that GKids aren't fixing everything. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other...

Iluvatar

Student Council President
Had a look at the check disc...

Dual layer, 42.2 GB used. Now I don't know about brightness, as I haven't seen any other version to compare. So I went to that scene, played it through... then I got close up to the TV and played it through... then I pressed pause and frame advanced through the scene... which is when I noticed that the compression is evident. I haven't yet seen the rest of the film to comment, but if you're watching it on a TV at 10 feet, then it's probably good enough to watch. If you're watching it on a laptop screen at 12 inches, your mileage may vary. But that single frame makes it look a lot worse than it actually is.

In short, you have checked your disc and you confirmed that, that screenshot comparison is real.
Welp, time to cancel my order then.
I don't get why AL is still working with Madman, they do a uterly **** job in encoding, cost saving I suppose...
99% chances that the french release (by AL french branch) will be better since they will not use this ****** Madman encode.

msgeek

Magical Girl
Devastated by the quality issues on the your name front. I'll live with it for the £25 steelbook version for now but that quality on the deluxe edition is a deal breaker for me :(

PilibO

School Idol
Hi folks! We were just made aware of that image comparison ourselves, but to be honest it's the first report we've heard or seen from anyone suggesting any issues, so at this stage we're not sure whether the image in question is indicative of a broader problem and certainly don't want to jump to any conclusions on that front.

Although the master used for the UK release of Your Name wasn't authored by ourselves, we'll certainly investigate more thoroughly once we're done with London Comic Con though and report back if necessary.

Good luck with the rest of London MCM and thanks for agreeing to take a thorough look when you get back and for giving us an update - fingers crossed it's not a broader issue.

Before we all jump to conclusions - we should remember that AL replaced Cowboy Bebop discs for more minor visual glitches so I'm sure they will take the best action once they know what the rest of the master is like ^_^

qaiz

Pokémon Master
I don't think they can afford to replace discs every time this happens, they do need to actually make some money on these projects after all.

IncendiaryLemon

Captain Karen
I don't think they can afford to replace discs every time this happens, they do need to actually make some money on these projects after all.

Not to sound overly harsh, but if they can't afford to replace discs every time this happens, maybe they should be QCing releases a little better so this doesn't happen to begin with. If the anime community can spot flaws in your releases quickly, surely the QC team/person whose job it is to spot these issues should be able to, no?

Scavenger

Adventurer
Sadly a lot of home video distributors cheap out on QC. I recently paid a visit to a Dutch film distributor and the people in charge of the home video department told me the video QC is done by a computer. They only manually QC the menu, subtitles and chapter markers.

fathomlessblue

Student Council President
Not to sound overly harsh, but if they can't afford to replace discs every time this happens, maybe they should be QCing releases a little better so this doesn't happen to begin with. If the anime community can spot flaws in your releases quickly, surely the QC team/person whose job it is to spot these issues should be able to, no?

Especially considering the heavy push they've given it over the last 12 months. Honestly, at this stage I've become sick of the constant updates and felt like their constant promotion, while understandable, at times seemed disproportionate to the point of neglect towards other catalogue titles. If this turns out to be the end result of nearly 15 months of relentless hype... damn.

I bought what turned out to be the steelbook as part of a '£10 off orders over £50' amazon promotion, back when it was £19.99, meaning it will only cost me £9.99, and even now I'm juggling whether to commit. Granted, I never fell for the buzz like some did, & am personally far more concerned about the loss of recent titles, but I know a lot of people were really excited about this. It'd be a shame to see them left so disappointed.

Last edited:

qaiz

Pokémon Master
Never said otherwise, just talking about the feasibility or lack-thereof! :p

msgeek

Magical Girl
Before we all jump to conclusions - we should remember that AL replaced Cowboy Bebop discs for more minor visual glitches so I'm sure they will take the best action once they know what the rest of the master is like ^_^

Disk replacement on a 1000 unit run is one thing... But what kinda run would your name be? 10k? painful just thinking about it. Agree I expect them to do the right thing (whatever that may be) but it just seems such a painful result for them...