UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

The lack of recent series licence is worrying. Nobody seems to know whats happening with Crunchyroll/ Funimation titles in the UK. We are already way behind the US in terms of releases. If they have teamed up with Universal where are the releases?

On another note Soundtrack licencing is not a bad idea but are there many soundtracks out there worthy or vinyl? I'm not sure there is.

Maybe AL sound be knocking on Aniplex door if they cant get titles off Funi/ CR

Yeah I remember reading that Crunchyroll were supposed to be venturing into home video but no real date was given, I guess it'll be 2018 before we hear anything now. Yeah we are quite behind in terms of releases but the UK has never really been exactly "up to date" either as long back as I can remember. The UK having a steady slew of newish releases on disc is still a pretty relatively new thing really.
Doesn't really matter how many good titles get licenced there's always some that we're missing and probably always will be.

Perhaps some kind of partnership has occurred between Universal, Funimation and Crunchyroll......guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah I remember reading that Crunchyroll were supposed to be venturing into home video but no real date was given, I guess it'll be 2018 before we hear anything now. Yeah we are quite behind in terms of releases but the UK has never really been exactly "up to date" either as long back as I can remember. The UK having a steady slew of newish releases on disc is still a pretty relatively new thing really.
Doesn't really matter how many good titles get licenced there's always some that we're missing and probably always will be.

Perhaps some kind of partnership has occurred between Universal, Funimation and Crunchyroll......guess we'll just have to wait and see.

To be clear - it's a subset of titles. Rokka is still with us as is Re:Zero and a few others so we were just clarifying a few as we don't think it's fair making you think we're delaying it when (for once) it's nowt to do with us :).

There's no partnership occurred, as you'll have seen with the Funimation x Sony news - there's a shift in alignment likely to happen there more than anything else :). Give it a bit of time and I'm sure it'll sort itself out anyway!

As demonstrated through Violet Evergaden and a slew of other licenses, we've no issue accessing content still so don't you worry and we remain very close friends with Crunchyroll too actually :)...

Best,

AP

So what are peoples theories on this? Are Crunchyroll moving into the UK market? (be strange given the Funimation deal on both sides of the pond) and if not then why would they feel the need to revoke the license?

There's no theory and I quantified it already before - it's just some titles got confused in the Crunchyroll x Funimation deal. No spilt milk on it and we're super good friends still by the by, just we respect the arrangement they have in English speaking partnered with Funimation :). We still retain a selection of CR shows though in English by the by inc Re:Zero though :).

Hope this helps!

Best,

AP

"We're a tiny company who can barely meet any of our Anime release deadlines without major delays and we also have a sizeable license backlog, how about expanding into soundtracks and straining our resources even more?"

Sounds like a great idea! /s

As it so happens, vinyl soundtracks are a project in my own time. I realise you may view me as some kind of machine that must work 24/7 on Anime Ltd work but if I choose to do something I'm passionate about in my own time that also happens to be a part of my business - that's kind of my own choice really :).

Hope this puts your mind at ease and I am very much pleased you think it's a great idea we diversify in an era that digital rights are being centralised in the USA, with an accidental side effect of taking one particular stream of income UK & EU distributors relied on away :)!

Nah on second thoughts, you're right, I shouldn't be allowed to do anything fun for myself.

Best,

AP

To be clear - it's a subset of titles. Rokka is still with us as is Re:Zero and a few others so we were just clarifying a few as we don't think it's fair making you think we're delaying it when (for once) it's nowt to do with us :).

Best,

AP
Glad you still have Rokka, i've been good and waiting for your release as i know it will be better than the ugly US release.

I'm probably being silly, but from the images I saw, soundtracks seemed to be confirmed as either vinyl or CD (but not both), is it a case of you guys doing vinyl and somebody else doing other formats for some of them, or will you be doing as many formats as feasible yourself?

I'm probably being silly, but from the images I saw, soundtracks seemed to be confirmed as either vinyl or CD (but not both), is it a case of you guys doing vinyl and somebody else doing other formats for some of them, or will you be doing as many formats as feasible yourself?

Vinyl + CD is the standard for us - digital is often a case-by-case basis depending on label so not guaranteed alas (would love it too though). A Silent Voice is both, Trigun is only vinyl as it's a special compilation set though of course.

Most will be Vinyl + CD though (of the other 3 unannounced ones I have so far, all of them are).

Vinyl + CD is the standard for us - digital is often a case-by-case basis depending on label so not guaranteed alas (would love it too though). A Silent Voice is both, Trigun is only vinyl as it's a special compilation set though of course.

Most will be Vinyl + CD though (of the other 3 unannounced ones I have so far, all of them are).
Thanks, I figured I was probably being silly.

I would say digital is the ideal for me, but honestly for something like anime soundtracks I’m more than happy to buy a CD. As someone who really likes anime OSTs this is certainly an exciting prospect, so I hope it does well for you. :)

I'm still a little uncertain as to what this means, so if someone could spell it out for me, that'd be a great help. Are these licenses now in a sort of limbo, and could still technically be acquired separately by Anime Limited, or are they now considered potential releases by either Funimation or Crunchyrol if they decide to enter the physical market? If so, the selection of titles feels strange to me. I can see Euphonium being of interest, but Rakugo seems a pretty niche title, which nobody other than AL has shown public interest into releasing on disk. Does that mean someone else will? I can't figure out whether this cancelation is about other companies taking physical rights for their own future use, or simply saying nobody can distribute them in the contract's current form?

I don't claim to understand this situation fully, but revoking titles from someone you've agreed to license them to seems like terrible business practice.

I mean who on earth is going to want to deal with companies who do that in the future? I certainly don't imagine AL will feel well disposed towards them any more, and I think anyone else would at least be very wary. If their plans with other distributors go balls-up I think they'll have shot themselves in the foot pretty badly.

Back