UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

That wasn't the news I expected or wanted. Completely gutted, was excited for both. I can't help but wonder what happened there, I didn't think licenses could be pulled like that? Contracts & all

That wasn't the news I expected or wanted. Completely gutted, was excited for both. I can't help but wonder what happened there, I didn't think licenses could be pulled like that? Contracts & everything.

There is always a clause for the license holder to somehow force back a license. It depends how well written the contract is, and who it favours the most.

I would like to know if Rokka has been cancelled seeing as this seems to affect Pony Canyon shows. It's disappointing that there is no viable alternative for most people to own these shows.

Damn, what a crappy situation this is, I was looking forward to Rakugo o_O and we'll never know why either (for obvious reasons).

Anyway, no new license announcements at the panel then?

Damn, what a crappy situation this is, I was looking forward to Rakugo o_O and we'll never know why either (for obvious reasons).

Anyway, no new license announcements at the panel then?

Technically Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a new one, but we already discovered this thanks to the folks who attended SLA. Nevertheless it's a good title to acquire so I'm very excited for it.

The music stuff is also new.

"We're a tiny company who can barely meet any of our Anime release deadlines without major delays and we also have a sizeable license backlog, how about expanding into soundtracks and straining our resources even more?"

Sounds like a great idea! /s

They did say they couldn't go into detail on Sound Euphonium but that if you keep tabs on anime news you likely know why they lost it.

Part of me wonders if it might end up in the hands of Universal in the UK. Might be a long shot, but if AL got the licence via CR, and CR does home video via Funimation who seem to now work with Universal in the UK as seen by My Hero Academia. I can't help but feel that them telling us to keep tabs means that we'll see these titles potentially crop up again in the near future elsewhere.

"We're a tiny company who can barely meet any of our Anime release deadlines without major delays and we also have a sizeable license backlog, how about expanding into soundtracks and straining our resources even more?"

Sounds like a great idea! /s

I laughed a little when I saw this, couldn't agree more

The way they worded it was around changes "Upstream". They didn't say they lost Rakugo Shinjou whilst talking about losing Sound Euphonium. only when specifically asked later did they say they had lost that too. Makes me wonder if they have lost other stuff in same situation? (the way they worded it kinda made it seem that way...)

Well that's a huge kick in the balls. Rakugo, Euphonium & Mob Psycho were pretty much the only announced tv series of theirs that I've been particularly interested in picking up. Things aren't looking good. I have no idea how well AL's doing at the moment, but the big drop in recently aired/currently airing licences over the last year, coupled with branching out into more general forms of merchandise, does seem to point to a certain state of upheaval. The recent deal between Amazon with Sentai, and that company's tendency to sublicense to MVM, suggests many of the big hits of recent season might not going to the places we would expect. If nobody at AL can reveal what's going on, hopefully somebody with a certain level of industry experience can explain the details. Wow, what a miserable situation. That must have been a painful panel to sit through.

So what are peoples theories on this? Are Crunchyroll moving into the UK market? (be strange given the Funimation deal on both sides of the pond) and if not then why would they feel the need to revoke the license?

Smell like a d*ck move from Crunchyroll (who hold the master licence for Sound and probably Rakugo).

It might also have something to do with Funimation's recent acquisition by Sony, which is a large player and direct competitor in the anime market. I can't imagine many of the local licensors wanting their product to be owned by their competition, international or not

Last edited:
So what are peoples theories on this? Are Crunchyroll moving into the UK market? (be strange given the Funimation deal on both sides of the pond) and if not then why would they feel the need to revoke the license?

I'm confident that Crunchyroll has something to do with the Ponycan titles as they are available on Steam under their name (Sound! Season 1, Rokka, Yuki Yuna, Clean Freak, Lost Village).

And Universal could have something to do with the Crunchyroll x Funimation deal as well.

Back