UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Any show or movie that was released pre digital era would benefit from 4k since they just need to do a higher resolution scan.

Indeed, but I don't know much anime that has had a 4K (or greater) scan already done.

Studio Ghibli (6K scans I think)
Belladonna of Sadness
Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Megazone 23
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Cardcaptor Sakura

Any others?

I'd do heinous crimes against humanity for a Giant Robo release with English subtitles.

Indeed, but I don't know much anime that has had a 4K (or greater) scan already done.

Studio Ghibli (6K scans I think)
Belladonna of Sadness
Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Megazone 23
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Cardcaptor Sakura

Any others?
Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie - coming on 4K UHD with HDR in December
Ashita no Joe 2: The Movie - coming on 4k UHD with HDR in April

Bit late to make this point perhaps, but I think one point of contention is that what people consider acceptable as video quality varies widely. One of the reasons I'm still not keen on streaming is because the quality is (noticeably, to me at least) considerably lower than what you'd get from a BD. I mean streams might ostensibly be "1080p" in that yes, the resolution of the image is 1920x1080 pixels, bit that doesn't take into account bitrates - A BD50 can hold 50gb, but when I stream a movie from Netflix it certainly doesn't download 50gb of data to my PC. Hell, digital "HD" movies you buy from iTunes or Amazon seem to be about 1-3gb in size, which means they are incredibly compressed compared to Blu-ray with all the artefacts and banding that compression inevitably entails.

A lot of people are clearly fine with streaming quality for their media though, and I don't think they're wrong to think that - "You can't always get what you want" as Mick Jagger once sang* and while the video quality of certain releases might be disappointing to me, I realise that to a lot of people they will be perfectly adequate. And to be fair there's always been the trade-off of cheaper squeezed onto more discs western releases vs. more expensive but better picture quality Japanese releases with TV shows as Lemon pointed out.

*Also "I can't get no satisfaction" and "War, children, it's just a shot away" which are probably equally applicable in these kinds of discussions.

No Gundam news?

tumblr_m3jxlcSaYl1r4c9wto1_400.gif

Just seen on Facebook that AL had a few copies of the Your Name Deluxe Edition for sale today at MCM. Probably way too late for anyone now, but I wonder if anyone from here managed to pick one up.

Utena is one great piece of news in an otherwise incredibly rough weekend (lost licenses, Your Names woes & MVM using the Sentai/Amazon partnership to basically steamroll the competition.. yeesh). Well, that's definitely one new release I'll picking up from AL. It can sit right next to my lovely Nozomi dvd sets.

MVM using the Sentai/Amazon partnership to basically steamroll the competition.. yeesh).

MVM always have around ten licences to announce at London MCM. It’s not their fault that Manga had nothing (apparently burned their bridges with Sentai as well as Funi), or indeed not their fault that Crunchymation is effectively in limbo since the Sony buyout. Seriously, nothing from them. This has just been a weak year.

MVM always have around ten licences to announce at London MCM. It’s not their fault that Manga had nothing (apparently burned their bridges with Sentai as well as Funi), or indeed not their fault that Crunchymation is effectively in limbo since the Sony buyout. Seriously, nothing from them. This has just been a weak year.

Doesn't Manga's recent acquisition of a bunch of Sony films (Paprika, ect) mean they have a good chance of potentially getting back in on the Funi stuff?

Back