UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Hi folks! We were just made aware of that image comparison ourselves, but to be honest it's the first report we've heard or seen from anyone suggesting any issues, so at this stage we're not sure whether the image in question is indicative of a broader problem and certainly don't want to jump to any conclusions on that front.

Although the master used for the UK release of Your Name wasn't authored by ourselves, we'll certainly investigate more thoroughly once we're done with London Comic Con though and report back if necessary.

Would definitely be a dealbreaker for me especially since I'm getting the Deluxe Edition. I hope this is just a false alarm from someone who just butchered the image.

The only complaint I have is that Gundam isn't highlighted on the booth timeline of AL achievements.

Like this whole five year journey wasn't about getting Gundam back into the UK? Come on!

Hmm. Definitely not as sharp and seems lighter as well.

You need to zoom in to actually see the big issue. The giant compression artefacts

fnTHXXU.png

OK it does work on the PS4. Looks almost like a comparison between HD and SD.

EDIT: Looking at the website it looks like anyone can upload any picture they want, seems you don't even need to sign in as there is no user name attached to the picture. It's not like Digital Foundry who evaluate games and do their own work. So hopefully it's a troll.

Last edited:
Had a look at the check disc...

Dual layer, 42.2 GB used. Now I don't know about brightness, as I haven't seen any other version to compare. So I went to that scene, played it through... then I got close up to the TV and played it through... then I pressed pause and frame advanced through the scene... which is when I noticed that the compression is evident. I haven't yet seen the rest of the film to comment, but if you're watching it on a TV at 10 feet, then it's probably good enough to watch. If you're watching it on a laptop screen at 12 inches, your mileage may vary. But that single frame makes it look a lot worse than it actually is.

Had a look at the check disc...

Dual layer, 42.2 GB used. Now I don't know about brightness, as I haven't seen any other version to compare. So I went to that scene, played it through... then I got close up to the TV and played it through... then I pressed pause and frame advanced through the scene... which is when I noticed that the compression is evident. I haven't yet seen the rest of the film to comment, but if you're watching it on a TV at 10 feet, then it's probably good enough to watch. If you're watching it on a laptop screen at 12 inches, your mileage may vary. But that single frame makes it look a lot worse than it actually is.
I don't pay for "good enough" though. Why reencode if the result looks bad? Keep your fingers aways from a perfectly fine video to whoever did this.

I don't pay for "good enough" though. Why reencode if the result looks bad? Keep your fingers aways from a perfectly fine video to whoever did this.

I have no argument there, and given the choice of the two, I know which one I'd rather have. Of course the film will have to be spectacular for me to choose to import the Japanese BD. It's just there is a tendency on those comparison sites to take one frame of garbage and extrapolate that the whole film looks that way, when it's not necessarily so. If you're paying just £14 or £20 for a standard or collectors, I think some people will be willing to compromise. I agree that £50 for less than the best is asking too much.

It seems that Madman have done the authoring, and they certainly have previous when it comes to altering the original intent. Look at what they did to the Ghibli Blu-rays that Studiocanal released. Then again, Funimation are releasing it in the US, and they aren't above messing with video too, look at their Cowboy Bebop and Akira discs.

It's just there is a tendency on those comparison sites to take one frame of garbage and extrapolate that the whole film looks that way, when it's not necessarily so.

I made that comparison based on screenshots sent to me. It is evident in more locations in the film than just that, but that was a scene described to me "at its worst".

Also what about people paying £40+ for the Deluxe

It seems that Madman have done the authoring, and they certainly have previous when it comes to altering the original intent. Look at what they did to the Ghibli Blu-rays that Studiocanal released. Then again, Funimation are releasing it in the US, and they aren't above messing with video too, look at their Cowboy Bebop and Akira discs.

What did Madman and Funimation do? I'm a bit out of the loop on those issues.

I made that comparison based on screenshots sent to me. It is evident in more locations in the film than just that, but that was a scene described to me "at its worst".

As mentioned, I'm yet to see the rest of the film, but I did have to pause it and get up close to the screen (3ft to a 37" screen) to really see it.

Also what about people paying £40+ for the Deluxe

They deserve better.

Yeah that is in no way "good enough" for me, not for £50. I mean even the brightness is a complete joke, the colours look so flat in comparison to the first screenshot (to me anyway), this movie looks incredible, why would you mess with it? I mean if someone told me that was BD vs DVD I'd probably believe them, in fact if you told me that was screenshot from one of those awful illegal streaming sites that shall remain nameless, I believe that too tbh...

Last edited:
Back