UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Count me in the camp of those who loves the artwork on the Korean set, looks bloody lovely and frankly I'd be pretty disappointed if we ended up with some of the more generic looking keyart on our set instead.

Count me in the camp of those who loves the artwork on the Korean set, looks bloody lovely and frankly I'd be pretty disappointed if we ended up with some of the more generic looking keyart on our set instead.

I love the artwork too - but we went a different direction for a few reasons:

1 - The film is about both Shoko and Ishida, based on discussions with the director over her time in Glasgow it's not about one more than the other really and is about both of them learning to listen.

2. On a personal level, I feel the film has such a wide range of characters learning to deal with their pasts (or in some cases, adamantly not deal). With that in mind we went with something clever on the front using a clear O-Card to show all the cast initially then underneath is just Ishida and Shoko.

3. On the reverse we went for something good too, working with one of the other keyarts we've done a very nice foil finish on the back as well to make the image come to life.

You can expect packshots to follow in the next fortnight but what we've gone and done is:
  • Translated the entire Japanese booklet including the storyboard sections so you can enjoy it.
  • Added extra articles in created by people like Jonathan Clements and Andrew Osmond on the show.
  • Added all the on-disc extras we can including:
  • Koii wo shita no ha music video (new for the BD)
  • Speed of Youth (new for the BD)
  • International trailer (cut by us)
  • Real locations to the animated versions of them
  • Interview with the creatives as per the JP release (which are cool)
  • Gone and created the dub in English too (dub preview to follow in due course too)
All of this costs money - but it makes maximum use of the SRP (we actually spent a bit more than we should to do it - eep!) Worth pointing out too the ambient track version was not included in authoring because the mix was not supplied and to mix it ourselves would be very risky or we would have done it, sorry folks!

Hope this is all OK and either way as far as the first English release in the world goes, we're super proud of what we've done :)!

Figured I'd nip this in the bud and explain now rather than later.

Best,

AP

Personally, I feel that Ishida and Shoko are just as important to A Silent Voice as one another, so any packaging artwork featuring one but not the other wouldn't feel right imo.

The plans for A Silent Voice sound really interesting and in particular, I'm interesting to see what this looks like:

2. On a personal level, I feel the film has such a wide range of characters learning to deal with their pasts (or in some cases, adamantly not deal). With that in mind we went with something clever on the front using a clear O-Card to show all the cast initially then underneath is just Ishida and Shoko.

Last edited:
Any chance of clarification on which subtitle tracks will be included as well?

The film will include English and English hard-of-hearing subtitles - we've also revised the English subtitles from the previous theatrical screenings (which I know had some issues) and will be endeavouring to ensure they're in tip-top shape!

I'd argue the story is easy to take as a single character's redemption but if you pay attention pretty much every character is failing to communicate on some level. For some they're ignoring signs of how bad they are and for others they refuse to acknowledge signs of them being a good person. In some cases it's as simple as Shoko's family refusing to believe Ishida has changed despite his efforts.

So we get to see near future London in the new Gundam BF special...and it looks like a third world hellhole.

Hoping that's not Sunrise commenting on how they currently view the UK

Erf, so it will be be the Key-art for the box.
Well, I'll go for the Korean set then, maybe i'll get the SE down the line, just for the subtitles.
Sad.

Back