UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

After War Gundam X is now getting a Blu-ray Box release in Japan, that's the last major title left DVD only that can be released for the UK now.

Assuming AL can get there.

A big assumption given even the US hasn't announced anything yet! That being said, I almost regret buying the US DVDs now, but let's face it, if the Blu-rays do get released here it will be many years removed from when I brought them, so it won't feel so bad...

Also I see BlazBlue has been delayed, that's annoying as I'm nearly done watching it to review it for the site, now I could have waited and watched Charlotte Part 2 first as that is now coming out sooner *scratches head* Ah, never mind, as long as I actually write them before release it doesn't matter...

The companys could at least give us an option to get rid of them. Reversable cover or a sticker on the wrapping that has the stars and/or quotes on.
Totally with you here, I do like a nice clean cover/spine without the age/review ratings but still retaining the blurb on the back of the box! But again, reversible covers are another overhead that would probably only please fussy people like you and I who would buy the film anyway.

A big assumption given even the US hasn't announced anything yet! That being said, I almost regret buying the US DVDs now, but let's face it, if the Blu-rays do get released here it will be many years removed from when I brought them, so it won't feel so bad...

Nozomi will probably confirm it regardless, but it won't hit the US until probably early 2019.

Fair point. Impulse buyers, the amount of money they must waste. See a movie cover with stars and/or quotes from a well know magazine, news paper or website saying how great something is only for it to turn out pants.

The companys could at least give us an option to get rid of them. Reversable cover or a sticker on the wrapping that has the stars and/or quotes on.

We have given an option to get rid of them - buy the delicious Collector's Edition steelbook, containing the lovely OST and a clean cover! Jokes aside - we do always consider feedback from folks too - there are ways to balance the needs of casual shoppers and hardcore fans beyond that so let me see :).

Best,

Andrew

By the way Andrew a quick question. Since Anime Ltd have a number of Crunchyroll titles (Mob Psycho for instance), are they going to be released under the AL label even if they end up as standard edition sets (as some are in the states like Joker Game) or are you going to shove them under the Funimation UK label?

No audio tracks but instead comes complete with a mic and script so that we can all sing along and reenact our favourite moments and sing classics such as A Cruel Angel's Thesis, Fly Me To The Moon and scenes such as Shinji screaming, fill in Gendo's inaudible line in The End of Evangelion and who can forget classic lines such as "I'm so **** up", for those great family get together moments, bond with your mom and dad like Shinji does in the hit anime Neon Genesis Evangelion and become a professional voice actor today.

On a serious note I don't really care about covers. It sits on a shelf displaying nought but it's spine most the time so it makes no difference to me. I will probably hold out a while to see if the Steelbook comes down in price again between now and release though as those I do like to display.

I tend to agree especially with standard editions, it's just a paper in an amaray, the disc is the main attraction and so in a lot of cases, if I could I'd just get a loose disc in a paper sleeve, hell it's kind of liberating to not worry about these things, and I'm especially not going to complain about the cover art for the BD releases of for example Paprika, Redline, Tekkonkinkreet and other amazing films that are super cheap to pick up on BD in the UK today, at the same time, being the weirdo that I am, somebody who loves graphics design and packaging in general, I know that I'm lying, I'm a sucker for nice artwork, and I'd totally pay a huge amount of money for Paprika, Redline or Tekkonkinkreet and similar films in a nice CE. It's weird and makes no sense, they just live on your shelf, I don't play with the boxes or anything and they display spine outwards, artwrok obscured...and yet the artwork (most of which you can find online in high-quality scans anyways) has me lured in, willing to pay more than I would otherwise. Certain distro's have released some great shows and yet shoddy cover art and packaging has deterred me from picking them up, why? WHY! WHY! I guess we're spoiled, spoiled by options and by a worldwide market, and so when I see that slick Japanese release, or the US getting something earlier, you can get a little envious. Truth being told we have it better than ever before from a packaging, release slate and release date point of view in the UK and AL are a huge part of that. I've spent £100's on single series, multiple releases on multiple formats, and I ask myself why, I guess the answer is...why not. I'm a fool and I've got money to burn, lets do this. What I'm trying to say is, being back Laserdiscs. Framing your anime releases is truly the next level.

BBFC Updates:

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ: Part 1 has been rated 12 for moderate fantasy violence, language, sex references, brief nudity
Princess Arete has been rated PG for mild threat

French @anime Exlusive Fnac seller CE release for Your name :

- 128pg artbook.
- Original soundtrack
- 10 art cards
- Rigid box
- 49.99€ ~ 46£

TBC visual :

klrA5lq.jpg

I suppose the UK CE (not the steelbook) will be similar in terms of contents and visual (Andrew hinted at that kind of visual for their CE).

From what I can see, the content and visual pretty much match what you already teased, aka : Artbook, OST, and the visual (Note that it's still "TBC" on that picture)
The only news things are the Art Cards, and the price, but since it's an exclusive french retailer edition, maybe it will differ from your CE.
Do this movie share the same production (Discs/box) between France an UK like most of the @anime movies catalogue?

Do this movie share the same production (Discs/box) between France an UK like most of the @anime movies catalogue?

An aside here but the Your Name discs have been authored separately to avoid any issues if retailers go crazy on pricing in either country from Day 1 :).

Best,

AP

Back