UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Andrew said they are tackling UC first. So I don't get why they wouldn't release 08th MS Team and 0083. I really hope AL hurry up I am getting super impatient. This Gundam AL partnership has really been a massive mess up - lol I remember sitting in that MCM Comic Con event where they announced the partnership and they said they'd follow the US in terms of release schedule. How long since then and look how little we've seen released.

Only thing keeping me buying AL's are the boxes/booklets. Otherwise I would gone for TRSI ages ago. Also, we were lead to believe the intervals between releases following Zeta would be shorter, but ZZ in September? That is quite a while away.
Not exactly fair there. Nozomi have pretty much released nothing but Gundam since the partnership with Sunrise. Anime Limited on the other hand are releasing a good 1/3 of the UK output.

Andrew said they are tackling UC first. So I don't get why they wouldn't release 08th MS Team and 0083. I really hope AL hurry up I am getting super impatient. This Gundam AL partnership has really been a massive mess up - lol I remember sitting in that MCM Comic Con event where they announced the partnership and they said they'd follow the US in terms of release schedule. How long since then and look how little we've seen released.

Only thing keeping me buying AL's are the boxes/booklets. Otherwise I would gone for TRSI ages ago. Also, we were lead to believe the intervals between releases following Zeta would be shorter, but ZZ in September? That is quite a while away.

Yeah true it's me just being paranoid :D though with Sunrise they are unpredictable and with their backwards thinking sometimes anything happen. They have the last say when it comes to gundam titles being released.

The boxes and booklets are basically the main incentive of waiting and it's the advantage we have over the US releases so I'm grateful for AL picking Gundam up. Apparently after ZZ release we won't be tied to waiting for the French side hopefully that will make a difference and we won't have big gaps between releases which is annoying and frustrating.

Last edited:
I heard about the second season 2 being mediocre to bad, reminds me off Gundam 00 dropped the ball in the second season and the movie.

Thunderbolt season 2 seems to be not as good as the first season so far

Try was rushed out very quickly after the surprise hit of the first season. As often happens with unexpected successful Gundam shows this means the execs took over and missed what made it work. BF is a fun meta spin off, welcoming new fans while making good natured shots at existing ones. Try is just a typical toyetic kids show, trying to tell you its product is amazing.

00 is the opposite in my mind. Season 2 and the movie are shifts but intentional and planned. Go back and watch season one and a lot of what happens later is subtly foreshadowed.

Try was rushed out very quickly after the surprise hit of the first season. As often happens with unexpected successful Gundam shows this means the execs took over and missed what made it work. BF is a fun meta spin off, welcoming new fans while making good natured shots at existing ones. Try is just a typical toyetic kids show, trying to tell you its product is amazing.

00 is the opposite in my mind. Season 2 and the movie are shifts but intentional and planned. Go back and watch season one and a lot of what happens later is subtly foreshadowed.

Fair enough I'll probably give it a watch it been awhile, but season 2 felt so weak compared to Season 1.

Not exactly fair there. Nozomi have pretty much released nothing but Gundam since the partnership with Sunrise. Anime Limited on the other hand are releasing a good 1/3 of the UK output.

It is fair. It was their choice to take on that partnership and make those promises of the UK keeping up with the US - they created that expectation not me. If they weren't going to give us Gundam in a timely manner, they should have said so from the beginning. If AL cannot keep up with demand of their other products then maybe they need to invest in more staff.

It's called managing customer expectations, keeping your consumer base informed and keeping up with demand - something all businesses should be aiming to do.

Speaking as a huge Gundam dork, as much as I wish we were further ahead by now I do respect that AL as a whole are trying to do things that UK fans have long pined for overall. Obviously other companies like Manga are also stepping up but look at the stuff they do like collector/ultimate editions, getting a continuous string of Japanese titles into UK cinemas, the guests they bring to cons and make available for fans to meet, etc. It's rather clear that they're staffed by fans who know what it's like to enjoy anime in a country that has long been left out in the relative cold. I mean for Gundam itself, I was long envious of the panels/screenings that America was constantly getting. AL are responsible for us finally getting similar over here. I'm hugely appreciative of that and I think each year they push further. Hell, with all the isolating crap in the world I think it's brilliant they're out there being effective ambassadors for those of us in the UK who want to be open to other cultures like Japan.

Lol, got burned by japanese licensors like some french & us distributors?

Nah, actually it's just we'd rather focus on actually getting stuff out than announcing things years ahead (simulcasts being the exception) so we're aiming to keep stuff within the year in some form where possible (theatrical obviously has it's own holdbacks for after screening etc).

It's a trend across the entertainment spaces, even in videogames you're seeing more E3 focus on what is coming within the year than in 2018 from the big companies (take Bethesda's press conference for example today). It's smarter and all part of managing customer expectations as discussed before.

Things can and will of course go wrong still, but every little bit of effort helps.

AP

@anime_andrew

I'm really looking forward to seeing Lu Over the Wall and The Maiden Galaxy on the big screen later this year. (If you could manage to put together a screening of Mind Game for Scotland Loves Anime, that would be mind-blowing as well!) With you now having the bulk of Yuasa's work, is there any chance of you licensing Kemonozume as well? Discotek announced a Kaiba Blu-Ray yesterday, so I think Kemonozume will soon be the only one of his works without a Blu-Ray (or English-friendly) release

A (potentially) controversial piece of speculation, not aimed at anyone in particular;

The number of people complaining about UK Gundam Availability > The number of people that are up to date (have watched all of) the UK Gundam releases so far.

Whilst I can understand complaining about availability of a series that you are up to date on, complaining about one that you are not up to date on (IMHO) is kinda rude. Given that the releases so far are mostly quite long series I find it hard to believe so many people are up to date. Of course there will be those who are, and those people are (IMHO) entirely entitled to be frustrated with delays, but for those who are not, perhaps you need to consider your own rate of progress (Again IMHO) before complaining.

The number of people complaining about UK Gundam Availability > The number of people that are up to date (have watched all of) the UK Gundam releases so far.
And this is irrelevant. We've bought all the AL releases thus far even if we haven't watched them. They're just released too slowly.

Back