UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Yay... yellow subs for Persona 3...
AL really are the best for screwing-up releases...
Another boycot.

I'm not sure deliberate choices count as screwing up. I'm not even sure what the big deal is about yellow subs anyway. Like, the most important factor is if you can read them, and you certainly can, so that's kind of a dumb reason to boycott and entire companies releases. Pretty sure they have a variety of sub fonts and colours that they use across releases.

Yes, yellow subs are awful for me.
Maybe not for you but for me it's enought for a boycot.

so that's kind of a dumb reason to boycott and entire companies releases. Pretty sure they have a variety of sub fonts and colours that they use across releases.

I'm not boycoting the entire companie, I'm boycoting all of their yellow ****** subs releases.

Another boycot.

I've not been AL's greatest fan, but "the best for screwing up releases" is not only excessively harsh, it's simply not true. I think you'd be hard-pressed to deny AL hasn't been responsible for the best, nicest and highest quality releases of the past few years. I may have my strong price-based disagreements with AL, but not even I will deny AL's CEs are very very nice products. AL are also really the only company willing to experiment and give us things the US isn't getting.

Yellow subs are choice you disagree with, others like them. I personally don't like them, but I'm not going to slag off a company for using them. I might ask them to avoid using them in future, but if the worst came to the worst, I'd just rip the disc to my PC and change the colour myself.

Personally, I regret missing out on the Persona 3 pre-buy offer, so hopefully it comes down in price soon. Until then, the Free! ES CE I brought the other day will keep me happy.

Another boycot.

If this is sarcasm, I approve wholeheartedly.

If not, what the hell is wrong with people that you're choosing a non-issue from AL to take issue with? Yellow subs are perfectly fine. There are valid issues with other releases to complain about if you feel the need to.

Personally I think getting frustrated over yellow subs just isn't worth it. God, imagine the old days when you had horrid pixelated subs... We're a world away now.

I can't see the Erased sets doing overly well - the show's popular, but it needs that same mass market audience SAO had - and those BR sets were going for a very reasonable £20. Any more and I'm not sure the casual buyer will budge for that number of eps.

Personally I don't care what colour the subs are though in a film with a lot of white backgrounds yellow stands out better (no idea in this case). Easier just to learn Japanese though. I see subtitles as functional tools, not part of the core aesthetic.

R

Yes, yellow subs are awful for me.
Maybe not for you but for me it's enought for a boycot.

You can always spend £120 more for the four US or JP releases :p

Guess you miss out on a lot of BD releases if you want to avoid Yellow subtitles. Took me a bit to get used to them, but now there no longer a problem for me.

Guys, I think you're all missing the point - we need rainbow subtitles that cycle through every colour, so everyone is simultaneously happy and unhappy - so we all win and lose together!

Preferably to be consumed together with some LSD :D

Yellow subs I find are actually more practical. Much rarer for yellow subs to clash with the animation than white subs. Also yellow subs are better for your eyes as the colour causes less strain.

But this argument comes up alot and while I think it's absurd to cancel a pre order of a set (especially when the alternaitve is a fortune by comparison) it might be nice to include both colors of subtitles? probably not cost effective though. Maybe a poll is in order?

Those who hate Yellow subs must have damn near fated if they have ever watched an AnimEigo dvd lol

Back