UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I must confess to knowing absolutely nothing about the processes or particulars involved, so please forgive me if I've shot so far off the track that the train is now a submarine, but I've been doing some thing about the Your Name. In the past, Andrew has alluded to lengthy hold-backs resulting in an October 2017 estimate for home video/VOD, which I think is fair to say, isn't ideal for everyone (even Anime Limited). If that's what it ends up being, then no biggy - it is what it is.

Due to the film's huge success, it's understandable that the Japanese licensors will be more wary of reverse importation than usual, but I was wondering if there could perhaps be leg-room to negotiate say, a dub-only VOD earlier release? I imagine there'd be reduced interest from Japanese buyers if a release didn't have their native language, while pressing dub-only discs to only release dual-language would be a waste. Also, with digital-only early releases becoming more common with mainstream audiences, audiences may bat less eyelids about it.

Of course, there's also the argument of wanting to wait and launch everything together for more consolidated promotion, messaging and of course, to avoid potentially ruffling feathers with the sub-only crowd (although the dub is great; more people need to give it a chance).

I must confess to knowing absolutely nothing about the processes or particulars involved, so please forgive me if I've shot so far off the track that the train is now a submarine, but I've been doing some thing about the Your Name. In the past, Andrew has alluded to lengthy hold-backs resulting in an October 2017 estimate for home video/VOD, which I think is fair to say, isn't ideal for everyone (even Anime Limited). If that's what it ends up being, then no biggy - it is what it is.

Due to the film's huge success, it's understandable that the Japanese licensors will be more wary of reverse importation than usual, but I was wondering if there could perhaps be leg-room to negotiate say, a dub-only VOD earlier release? I imagine there'd be reduced interest from Japanese buyers if a release didn't have their native language, while pressing dub-only discs to only release dual-language would be a waste. Also, with digital-only early releases becoming more common with mainstream audiences, audiences may bat less eyelids about it.

Of course, there's also the argument of wanting to wait and launch everything together for more consolidated promotion, messaging and of course, to avoid potentially ruffling feathers with the sub-only crowd (although the dub is great; more people need to give it a chance).

I'd love to give the dub a try now I've watched it subbed (twice). I think it was incredibly unfair of AL to announce a release date and then schedule a week of dub and sub screenings in the week leading up to the date people have already booked. If the dub/sub Showcase Cinema screenings were the week after te November 24th release, I could've given the dub a try as well. But I wasn't booking a dub screening that was before the sub screening I'd already booked.

It could work, up to a point, but I think it would ruffle more than just a few feathers.

Firstly, it's whether there's enough of the anime/dub/VOD audience intersection to justify it.

Secondly, it would potentially tick off a large swathe of the anime fandom. Even those that enjoy watching dubs may, in some cases, be a bit iffy about only having the option to watch it first dubbed. (If they miss the cinema window)

And putting aside people who prefer subs, and people like myself who have a general dislike for dubs, this option would bone anybody who is deaf, hard of hearing or otherwise requires subtitles to aid their understanding. (When my niece and nephew were much younger, my brother and sis-in-law pretty much replied on subtitles and low volume for any TV watching after kids' bedtime)

The other issue is that by having a dub-only release out when there will inevitably be a fansub out, it's basically asking for trouble. People will grab the fansub as a stopgap measure, potentially eating into initial sales (regardless of whether or not it affects overall sales) as people delay getting something they "already have".

Still, I hope I'm as bothered about the film com next autumn/winter. As I won't be seeing this theatrically.
I actively dislike going to the cinema and only make a very few exceptions, especially when it comes to non spur-of-the-moment decisions. And my upcoming one will be A Silent Voice for thematic reasons.

Still, I hope I'm as bothered about the film com next autumn/winter. As I won't be seeing this theatrically.
This is actually something that bothers me. I actually wanted to go see it, bought tickets and everything but was unable to go, now I'm worried about how long the home release will take and if I'll even give a crap by the time it turns up. It's strange because if it hadn't had such a huge push in the UK for cinema I probably would have been fine waiting, but I'm conscious of it at this point so my interest can now fade from where it's at....I guess my brain is just wired weird lol kinda hope the Japanese release has English subs tbh.

The other issue is that by having a dub-only release out when there will inevitably be a fansub out, it's basically asking for trouble. People will grab the fansub as a stopgap measure, potentially eating into initial sales (regardless of whether or not it affects overall sales) as people delay getting something they "already have".

That's a crap argument. If I was a terrible person, I could watch a fansub of it now. The reason I'm so disappointed is because I want to support it legally, and I want to give ATA my money. Unfortunately due to production committee decisions they're not allowed to take it :(

This is actually something that bothers me. I actually wanted to go see it, bought tickets and everything but was unable to go, now I'm worried about how long the home release will take and if I'll even give a crap by the time it turns up. It's strange because if it hadn't had such a huge push in the UK for cinema I probably would have been fine waiting, but I'm conscious of it at this point so my interest can now fade from were it's at....I guess my brain is just wired weird lol kinda hope the Japanese release has English subs tbh.
Nope, neither you or @TiggsPanther is weird. I was thinking the exact same thing.

It could work, up to a point, but I think it would ruffle more than just a few feathers.

Firstly, it's whether there's enough of the anime/dub/VOD audience intersection to justify it.

Secondly, it would potentially tick off a large swathe of the anime fandom. Even those that enjoy watching dubs may, in some cases, be a bit iffy about only having the option to watch it first dubbed. (If they miss the cinema window)
With Your Name, there's more than just the anime audience though; this is a movie with more widespread, mainstream appeal - the audience the English dub was largely made for. I think the importance of dubs is also often understated - I mean, look at all the recent discussion here regarding Miss Hokusai.
Obviously, an ideal scenario would be releasing the dub and sub at the same time, so if a dub-only digital release would allow no or little advance over dual-language, then it should be dual-language (of course, same with VOD vs home video too).
And putting aside people who prefer subs, and people like myself who have a general dislike for dubs, this option would bone anybody who is deaf, hard of hearing or otherwise requires subtitles to aid their understanding. (When my niece and nephew were much younger, my brother and sis-in-law pretty much replied on subtitles and low volume for any TV watching after kids' bedtime)
If a hypothetical earlier-dub only VOD release were possible, it would be interesting to see if Anime Limited would be able to include subtitles (can VOD support optional tracks?). The only issue with that however, is that the scripts for the two versions are different (certain scenes rewritten due to language jokes, lip-flap matching etc) and the expense/time of getting such an additional subtitle track together may not be seen as worthwhile for the minority who would use it.
It would be interesting to hear Andrew's general thoughts on subtitles for the hard-of-hearing though, even outside of the specific case of Your Name. I remember how disheartened my great-uncle was when the House M.D. DVD release dropped hard-of-hearing subtitles mid-way through the show, while other dub-only anime releases such as MangaUK's Yu-Gi-Oh! completely lack any subtitle tracks.
An initial, earlier digital-only release will not push more people towards downloading fansubs - the complete lack of any legal release will.
I actively dislike going to the cinema and only make a very few exceptions, especially when it comes to non spur-of-the-moment decisions. And my upcoming one will be A Silent Voice for thematic reasons.
Maybe you'll still be as bothered if they could negotiate an earlier release somehow...;)
This is actually something that bothers me. I actually wanted to go see it, bought tickets and everything but was unable to go, now I'm worried about how long the home release will take and if I'll even give a crap by the time it turns up. It's strange because if it hadn't had such a huge push in the UK for cinema I probably would have been fine waiting, but I'm conscious of it at this point so my interest can now fade from where it's at....I guess my brain is just wired weird lol kinda hope the Japanese release has English subs tbh.
I think that could be a significant issue for Anime Limited; if even the hardcore anime fans are questioning whether their interest will wane, what are the chances of the more casual film-goers still being interested almost a full year later? Which is why I'm suggesting that if there's any option Anime Limited could put on the table to try and secure an earlier release, it should be worth at least considering.

I think the "people losing interest" phenomenon is a thing but it's industry-wide. The industry has never really caught onto the idea that a certain slice of the market will want to walk out of the cinema and immediately place an order. I'm like that myself; I really liked the opening theme from Boku No Hero Academia when it was airing and thought about buying it. But it had a delayed release and came out after it was convenient for me to buy a copy of the CD, so I never bothered and now the moment has passed and I can't remember the song anyway. Their loss. Japanese events often have preorder forms right there at the event to capitalise on the excited people walking out of the theatre/cinema and I really like that. Being able to slap down a preorder there and then at the moment of maximum excitement means I don't even have to think about whether or not it's a good idea.

However, there's no chance I'm going to hold back and not preorder Your Name for it's delayed release because it's a bally good film and it's still going to be great a year from now. It does just suck that it had a limited release rather than a full one which could have given far more people the opportunity to see it, especially as it's been getting quite a lot of positive mainstream press now that it's been on the big screen. Though even if it had been shown more widely, there's no cinema in my (very large!) town and I would still have had to travel to get to one, which isn't always compatible with other commitments or finances or scheduling. The fact that it's had a limited run has rather amplified those issues.

R

I suspect it's more a thing for the people who haven't seen it and don't know how good the film is. Will we still care about that film everybody went on about when it was a little under a year ago?

Also, I'm not sure, but if I understood the coverage correctly, the Thursday expansion was large enough for it to be considered a "wide" release by the industry. It just wasn't wide enough that every single county of the UK was covered...

I suspect it's more a thing for the people who haven't seen it and don't know how good the film is. Will we still care about that film everybody went on about when it was a little under a year ago?
Don't worry, I'll make sure I go on about how great it is again when it hits blu-ray next October.

Don't worry, I'll make sure I go on about how great it is again when it hits blu-ray next October.

That's not helpful. The continuous going on about will just piss me off to the point where I refuse to watch it...

Hype very often goes the opposite direction for me.

I have to admit, given the success of this (even though it's a special case) - I do hope we get more of what America's getting in terms of anime movie screenings too. Ie. the Sword Art Online film.

Going back too Nerima Daikon. The AL site lists it with two different SRP's £29.99 and £39.99. I'm guessing the real one is the latter, why so much for a 12 cour DVD? especially as Beck which is over twice the size only had a £29.99 SRP.
Not having a go (I've had it preordered for over 2 years!) I was just curious :)

Ps. when this is released I will stop asking where's Nerima Daikon every few months and switch too where's Excel Saga!!! :') sorry Andrew! :)

I think the "people losing interest" phenomenon is a thing but it's industry-wide. The industry has never really caught onto the idea that a certain slice of the market will want to walk out of the cinema and immediately place an order.

Exactly this.

If I enjoy something, and feel it has rewatch value, I'm ready to own a copy there an then. Regardless of whether film or TV, English, American or Japanese. Anything I watch via Crunchyroll (or similar) I can make do with the stream in the meanwhile. But movies after the cinema run and TV shows outside of the catchup run if I didn't DVR them, that's not fun.

Inception was a long wait. And that was jut six months.

Some Marvel movies I'll catch in the cinema, if the mood takes me. But they're around long enough for me to put aside my social anxiety and/or budget issues whilst it's still being shown. But a limited run anime movie? I'll wait for the Blu-ray most of the time.

Back