UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

anime_andrew said:
We'll do an annual survey in the near future to gather things in data wise, again those are easy to skew one way or another - all you need are either enough IPs or enough mates to chime in so not always do you get the best results alas.

Watch this space though on it as it's a good idea :)!

AP

Maybe ask for email addresses and put something cheap in a prize draw? That might stop some cheating, but then I suppose it might make other forms of cheating worse.

anime_andrew said:
admittedly for FMA the standard is also a Collector's but it's not disastrously so given our licensor for that.

I might be misunderstanding your wording here, which I apologise for if so, but if FMA is basically just an Ultimate and a Collector's then it's a bit of a shame that the series won't be around in a more affordable, standard, release as it's such an amazing show. Obviously I guess that depends on the price of the collector's but from what we know of the contents I'm assuming it'd be a fair bit higher than a standard would be.

Not so much complaining from me as simply observing. I have the ultimate on order (which I'm really excited for!) so wouldn't be going for the collector's or standard anyways.

I like slipcovers/O-cards, but if having one adds £5 to the price I'd rather not tbh. Reading that it can add £5 really opened my eyes to how cheap Kaze releases must be lol considering I got Code Geass when they first released for £26 each, with O-Cards....damn that's cheap, explains why they cheaped out on the disc count I guess....

Buzzkillington said:
I like slipcovers/O-cards, but if having one adds £5 to the price I'd rather not tbh. Reading that it can add £5 really opened my eyes to how cheap Kaze releases must be lol considering I got Code Geass when they first released for £26 each, with O-Cards....damn that's cheap, explains why they cheaped out on the disc count I guess....

Pretty much there I suspect - less discs == less costs. I'd take the disc over an O-Card honestly.

Worth keeping in mind anyway!

AP

Smeelia said:
I'd imagine that has more to do with Gundam being a fairly consistent seller, so the retailers see no reason to drop prices. It's also probably mostly something outwith Anime Limited's control, except on their own shop and it doesn't change prices too often in general (which is fair enough since it's not the same as a focussed retail shop).

If we're comparing to games, Gundam would probably be more along the lines of a major release from one of the bigger companies. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid and those kinds of things. There are plenty of games that stay around full price for quite a long time. It's maybe a bit less common these days but there's also a lot more competition in video games and a much bigger market, so Gundam staying the same for a year or whatever isn't really too different to what often happens with these big selling games.

DOOM probably isn't a good example, I'm guessing it didn't do so well or just has a different sales strategy since it has been on offer in a few places already. Compare Overwatch and Battleborn, Battleborn is on offer at half price already and doesn't seem to have been too popular while Overwatch is still pretty close to full price and I don't think it's been on offer anywhere (despite being the kind of game that benefits from a larger player base and thus more likely to go on offer than most). There'll always be some releases that drop prices quickly and others that take much longer.

If anything I thought somebody might object to DOOM for being too big a title. Maybe it's just where I live, but the week that launched there were ads everywhere for it. You couldn't miss it, I've never seen an ad campaign quite so big for a video game.

The only games I've seen stay at a high price for quite such a long time are Grand Theft Auto. I'm not sure Overwatch will quite ever drop, since it's an online game and they need to finance those servers for a long time. I'm not sure online-only games are a fair comparison though.

I have to wonder whether Mobile Suit Gundam has sold many copies without those bonuses. It sounds like the discount hasn't come from Andrew or Sunrise, so Zavvi seemingly chose take ~£15 off (or a third of the price) from their end. Most people I know already brought it, but the one or two that haven't and a few of the ones who have think that price is poor without them. If Andrew's reading this, I didn't quite mean to say that I was upset at paying the same price they did (although that's part of it), I just meant I wouldn't pay £45 for an amaray with only half a series, especially when it's only 21 episodes. I've gone years without it already, what harm will waiting a few more until the price drops do?

The Anime Limited Q4 Schedule

The Anthem of the Heart: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Belladonna of Sadness: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Erased: Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Erased: Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Standard Edition [DVD]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 1 (Episodes 1-27) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 1 (Episodes 1-27) Standard Edition [DVD]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 2 (Episodes 28-51) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Part 2 (Episodes 28-51) Standard Edition [DVD]
Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Lupin the Third (2015): Part 1 (Episodes 1-12) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] ~ You do realise there's an English dub being made right AL?
The Murder Case of Hana & Alice: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Ouran High School Host Club: Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death: Standard Edition [DVD]
Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream: Standard Edition [DVD]
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Project Itoh: Harmony: Collector's Edition Steelcase [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Project Itoh: Harmony: Standard Edition [DVD]
The Tatami Galaxy: Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Tokyo Marble Chocolate: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Your Lie in April: Part 2 (Episodes 12-22) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Your Lie in April: Part 2 (Episodes 12-22) Standard Edition [DVD]

2-part ERASED? Yeah... No thanks. Unless, by some miracle, it's ~£20-25. Any more than that and I'll probably just quit anime...

In all seriousness, I'd be disappointed if the market went this way without any specific tangible benefit to the consumer other than a fast release. If we get an OVA or extra bonus content as a result of it, then fair enough, but if all we get is a slightly quicker release, then I'm not at all on board for it.

Yeah, splitting Erased in 2 sounds terrible, especially as you can almost guarantee the price will likely be high. Buzz's sweet spot of around £20-£25 sounds about right, anything more than that and I'm not on board at all. AL heading more and more in the direction of AoA style releases is a scary thought.

Buzz201 said:
2-part ERASED? Yeah... No thanks. Unless, by some miracle, it's ~£20-25. Any more than that and I'll probably just quit anime...

In all seriousness, I'd be disappointed if the market went this way without any specific tangible benefit to the consumer other than a fast release. If we get an OVA or extra bonus content as a result of it, then fair enough, but if all we get is a slightly quicker release, then I'm not at all on board for it.
Blame Aniplex, AL are probably being forced to mirror their release.

Buzz201 said:
If anything I thought somebody might object to DOOM for being too big a title. Maybe it's just where I live, but the week that launched there were ads everywhere for it. You couldn't miss it, I've never seen an ad campaign quite so big for a video game.
In terms of video games I would liken anime to anything Nintendo publish insofar as the price remains high for years after release, generally has middling sales at the start yet still sells pretty consistently, if not in large quantities after the launch period.

Erased being split between 2 sets is disappointing, it'll likely fall between two sets of prices either £20-25 or £25-30 as that's what the SAO2 sets were and they had the same amount of episodes.

thedoctor2016 said:
If it was DRR and 6 pts meant OVAS I would be fine but ERASED doesn't have any extras so I can't see why they decided to go this route.

Agreed. If AL are going to do half-cour releases, they should at least do it for the titles where we get locked out of content otherwise.

IncendiaryLemon said:
You know, I often defend AL from critics, but at £55 for 6 episodes, quite frankly, they can go away.

Don't jump to conclusions people, Amazon have regularly put up titles and just guessed the costs. Maybe wait and see before spewing vitriol

Indeed, Erased is exceptionally high. I'm hoping it's either an error or there's some sort of massive artbook with it that justifies the cost.

I have pre-ordered the following:
The Anthem of the Heart: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Belladonna of Sadness: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] - No 4K disc?! :(
Erased: Part 1 (Episodes 1-6) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Genius Party & Genius Party Beyond: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Lupin the Third (2015): Part 1 (Episodes 1-12) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Persona 3 the Movie #1: Spring of Death: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Persona 3 the Movie #2: Midsummer Knight's Dream: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Pigtails and Other Shorts (aka the Production I.G. Short film collection): Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
Project Itoh: Harmony: Collector's Edition Steelcase [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]

I already have Escaflowne and FMA Ultimate Editions pre-ordered.
I'm still considering Your Lie In April

NormanicGrav said:
The Anime Limited Q4 Schedule
Belladonna of Sadness: Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Lupin the Third (2015): Part 1 (Episodes 1-12) Collector's Edition [Blu-ray] ~ You do realise there's an English dub being made right AL?
Ouran High School Host Club: Complete Series Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
Well... Q4's looking rather fine for me. Bold indicates a 100% buy for me, but everything there will probably end up being bought. Titles not listed I either own already or will be purchasing elsewhere (as is case solely for Harmony, because Steelbox). Is this the final Q4 release slate or can we expect other titles to be slotted in as and when? (Still waiting for any mention of the release plan of that title from MCM!) The only thing I find rather baffling is the somewhat early solicitation of Erased considering there's a wait of over three months between Aniplex USA's releases (Pt1 in Oct, 2 in Jan) before considering holdbacks. Wouldn't it make more sense to release them across consecutive months rather than having a big gap in the middle?

Back