UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Buzzkillington said:
Hmm I like Steelbooks, if they are actually steelbooks and not those daft cases. But it was a fun podcast to listen to while wrapping xmas gifts today, got a fair few laughs from me which is quite the feat lol poor Jeremy though, was like trying to control a bunch of drunk school kids at times haha.

Agreed. I want steelbooks and not steelcases. :lol:

I'm up for Makoto Shinkai steelbooks (wasn't that the original plan for the collection?).

Buzzkillington said:
Hmm I like Steelbooks, if they are actually steelbooks and not those daft cases. But it was a fun podcast to listen to while wrapping xmas gifts today, got a fair few laughs from me which is quite the feat lol poor Jeremy though, was like trying to control a bunch of drunk school kids at times haha.

I'd not call them Steelbooks if they weren't Scanavo Steelbooks, drinking or otherwise ;).

AP

I love Steelbooks so I look forward to seeing what you do with them. A good looking steelbook can be lucrative business (Zavvi seem to be doing well with them as do overseas retailers like Kimchidvd and Novamedia and the likes.

I hope Steelbooks won't become any kind of standard for Anime Limited as i'm a much bigger fan of the traditional art box releases. Though for titles that for some reason would only get a barebone release, like in cases where you are not allowed to access any extras materials or re-releases of titles that sold well, it would be a neat addition (^▽^)!

Regarding the FMP Ultimate Edition, can anyone compare the quality of the art box to the Gurren Lagann art box? I was really dissappointed when I recieved the Gurren box since it was so thin and bendy.

DesuDayo said:
I hope Steelbooks won't become any kind of standard for Anime Limited as i'm a much bigger fan of the traditional art box releases. Though for titles that for some reason would only get a barebone release, like in cases where you are not allowed to access any extras materials or re-releases of titles that sold well, it would be a neat addition (^▽^)!

Regarding the FMP Ultimate Edition, can anyone compare the quality of the art box to the Gurren Lagann art box? I was really dissappointed when I recieved the Gurren box since it was so thin and bendy.

I raised this point over in the Upcoming UK DVD Artwork thread and Andrew responded to something along the lines of this wouldn't be what Anime Limited would usually put out and the reason they have done so for this particular release is because the French team took a lead on the project.

Regarding the TTGL and FMP sets, I see no issue with either box but I believe the FMP is sturdier.

So I got FMP and Baccano today, I love the baccano set one of AL's best however I am quite dissapointed with FMP its just an art book with no interviews and the amarays are annoying to get out imo if i just want to watch TSR i have to get them all out for example. GL was the better UE i do think digipacks are better.

Buzz201 said:
Here's a summary of AL podcast '11. It took forever to do as there's lot of information, and I'd strongly encourage everyone to have a listen. There are some parts where I have tried to quote directly, my transcription skills aren't brilliant, so if I screwed anything up, I apologise and I will try and edit it if necessary:

Jeremy says "Merry Christsmas! Happy Hollidays! or however you like to phrase it!"

Since the last podcast they have announced:
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Season 1 Blu-ray
  • Tokyo ESP - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Expelled from Paradise - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Ninja Slayer from Animation - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Tokyo Marble Chocolate - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Anthem of the Heart - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Prison School - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Attack on Titan: Junior High - DVD & Blu-ray
  • The (Murder) Case of Hana and Alice - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Snow White with the Red Hair - DVD & Blu-ray

From now on unless otherwise noted, they're all DVD & Blu-ray (the crew's faces are dropping as they realise how many briefs they have lined up):
  • Brother's Conflict
  • Selected Infector Wixcross -- "Sounds like a beautiful STD" - Andrew Partridge
  • Turn A Gundam - DVD only
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - DVD & Blu-ray
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Double Zeta - DVD only
  • Genius Party
  • Genius Party: Beyond -- "Yaay" - Andrew Partridge
  • Buddy Complex -- "Hooray" - Keith
  • Kill la Kill - Standard Edition DVD & Blu-ray
  • Eureka Seven -- "Yaay" - Andrew Partridge
  • Fullmetal Alchemist -- "Yeesss (followed by weird chimpanzee noises)" - Everyone but Jeremy. "I'm really excited I've licenced it, it did cost me an arm and a leg" - Andrew Partridge

Everyone is excited about Fullmetal Alchemist. There will be an ultimate edition.

Ultimate Editions due next year:
  • Terror in Resonance
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Eureka Seven
  • Escaflowne

Eureka Seven and Fullmetal Alchemist are not mastered in HD, there are no HD assets to use barring previous upscales, both of which look really good. They will be using the same assets as Japan, and they will match the versions using on both the US and JP versions.

Andrew spent his flight to Tokyo enjoying free wi-fi having a discussion with anime fans about the pricing of ultimate editions (that'll probably be us then...) Everyone work up to the fact Andrew had "not done a Manga UK bender on the forums and in fact had a reasonable discussion. I think it's reasonable to say that is something, which used to happen in the past." - AP "Couldn't possibly comment" - JG "Not anymore and I think it's reasonable to say (?), but it is a notorious saying. I felt some cringing here when I said it, it's like, it's not a dig at anything, it's just a descriptive of what used to happen, like basically, and stress Jeremy out on a day to day basis." - AP

People feel their CEs are so good that it's hard to distinguish between UEs and CEs. One of our users knocked it on the head, with a comment along the lines of "not all books are equal". A huge amount of SRP is taken by retail, and AL has to break even on the rest. On standard this figure is less than 50% of the SRP, which is the problem of dealing with third parties. They did find that they can open it up for a limited time on their shop, as the comission is a lot less and there's a higher margin per unit. They will keep this strategy in forward for UEs too, but they will still make them available widely too.

They can't lower SRPs as they'll lose money. They've made back replication costs and are on the way to covering over costs on all their other UEs (except for things like Gurren Lagann and Patema Inverted where they have already made all those back).

Andrew says Full Metal Panic! is selling well and is close to covering costs. They appreciate it wasn't what everyone was hoping for design wise, but it balances out and it has done well sales wise.

Andrew says a standard edition "has to follow not super far afterwards" when releasing an ultimate edition as it's "not about forcing a consumer [choice]". They would never ask fans to pay that much more for simply the product. "We don't want to force people to buy something as soon as possible, which is why standard editions crop up as soon as possible, and sometimes as soon as we're allowed to" - Kerry

Jeremy wants to point out TIR is both the shortest UE and the most recent by almost a decade. They love to see feedback "as long as you use polite words". Andrew says as long as you don't cross the line, they're not bothered, but he's not happy when it gets derogatory any particular creed, nationality, mental state. "You can be offensive without being... upsetting" Keith interjects simultaneously with "a horrible ****" and Andrew agrees.

Andrew reiterates his wish to release UEs of all Watanabe's works.

Andrew's making some steelbooks that even his team didn't know existed. "Think of April-time as a nice time."

Samurai Flamenco (subtitle only) was released on the 21st and everyone is really happy with how it's turned out. Blu-ray only, includes episodes 1-11, cleaning opening and closing and an art book

Andrew would like to thank Lace Digital Media Sales for the chocolate and wine :)

SAO II, Part 2 will release on 28th December, and is actually on time, there should already be an unboxing on their blog. Kerry says "there's a special feature in this latest collector's edition, in which we ****ed up the title on purpose, and it's called 'Sport Wart Online'". Andrew makes another joke, they all collectively decide almost immediately it should be bleeped out, but nobody else seems offended.

Keith is terrified as he's worked for AL long enough that he's now responsible for things that get released.

Kill la Kill will get a standard edition DVD and BD release over 3 parts, Parts 1 & 2 SRP £29.99 Part 3 SRP £24.99. AL are happy to be releasing the 3 standard parts, would have liked to release over 2 parts and pitched several options to the licensor knowing some would be more accepted than others. Part 1 CE on blu-ray is out of stock in their warehouse, and Part 3 CE on DVD is out of stock in their warehouse too. They will not be reissued, but there is plenty of Part 2 left.

Still more we don't know about for 2016 "so much more".

Mobile Suit Gundam part 2 scheduled for late January, the first 1000 units will come with an art booklet created with the involved of Keith, that is a nice booklet and has a good selection of material. It is not retailer exclusive, until they announce it is OOP you will definitely receive a copy. However Mobile Suit Gundam part 1 left the warehouse quickly, so they'd encourage pre-ordering to avoid disappointment. No news on the rest of Gundam yet, as soon as they know, we'll be told.

Jeremy's now doing a pub quiz. If anything interesting comes up I'll make a note of it, but I think that's the news done.

Andrew's really enjoyed releasing titles and talking to fans at conventions, on social media and on forums. He promises he'll make less typos this year :D

Kat tell us to keep liking magical girl animes, and Andrew says that as of the end of last week Prisma Illya will have recouped it's replication costs, so they only have the rest of the hurdles to go. "Still good for you, proves there's a market for magical girls" - AP Andrew recommends Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis, "it's not one of ours, but I was really enjoying it". Kat really likes Great Teacher Onizuka "mostly for his expressions" - Kat.

Keith hopes we like his releases and "please be gentle".

Kerry's words of wisdom "bless you."... "Thank you very much and have an awesome Christmas and a happy new year" "Next year's going to be kind of nuts, but the good kind of nuts".

They will have simulcasts for next year, but no news yet and they are still looking into stuff. There may be news over the holiday, Jeremy will send it out by Facebook but not on Christmas day.

"If you cross your fingers really tightly, we might release the two titles we've not released since we licensed them". "No, both of them will be released next year".

Kat recommends 009 Re:Cyborg for the booklet, as it's really insightful and shed a lot of info on what's actually going on in the film. Baccano! is Kat's favourite release of the year. Kerry says the Baccano! booklet is great, Andrew says it reminds him of Mechano...

Kerry's favourite release of the year is Space Dandy, part 2 (season 2 is "****ing solid man, it's great") and Baccano! is her second favourite ("Baccano! is really really great").

Jeremy likes the Tokyo Ghoul LE and the Prisma Illya LE, but will give an honourable shout to Blood Lad.

Keith liked the Full Metal Panic! UE, "it's a wonderful package".

Andrew's product of the year is Kill la Kill Part 3, he really liked the fact they were able to do something cool that wasn't available elsewhere, but he also liked Giovanni's Island Ultimate Edition, Full Metal Panic! UE and Prisma Illya CE. The title he didn't work on that he really loves is Blood Blockade Battlefront, calling it the most promising show of next year. His favourite show of the year is Death Parade but they don't have that "yet". "If it's still up on Viewster, just watch it" (For reference, it isn't up on Viewster any more.)

Jeremy says his favourite show of the year is The Heroic Legend of Arslan (2015), and it was cool to see the manga animated. He also loves One-Punch Man.

Kat says her favourite is Blood Blockade Battlefront, she also enjoyed Food Wars, but felt the ending was flat.

Kerry enjoyed Miss Hokusai and The Murder Case of Hana and Alice. She also enjoyed the Japan Anima(tor) Expo screening at SLA.

It ends with a ukulele rendition of We Wish You a Merry Christmas, which also descends into random chimpanzee noises...
Hmmm, No mention of claymore, i hope this hasn't been cancelled, that noein and haruhi, and maybe snow white with red hair are the only non UCs im interested in

windcott said:
Hmmm, No mention of claymore, i hope this hasn't been cancelled, that noein and haruhi, and maybe snow white with red hair are the only non UCs im interested in

I wouldn't necessarily infer that from this list. It's possible Jeremy mentioned it during his great big list and I missed it (I was trying to quickly pause it and note them down one by one), but I don't think so. My guess is it wasn't on his list and they forgot to correct it, because that's a huge list and Jeremy is clearly the only sober person on the podcast.

Buzz201 said:
windcott said:

I wouldn't necessarily infer that from this list. It's possible Jeremy mentioned it during his great big list and I missed it (I was trying to quickly pause it and note them down one by one), but I don't think so. My guess is it wasn't on his list and they forgot to correct it, because that's a huge list and Jeremy is clearly the only sober person on the podcast.

If it were cancelled - again we'd have said xD. It's lined up for Q2 atm as far as I recall here though and is definitely still going on :)!

Best,

AP

Next year is a busy one for Anime Limited but the title that I'm most looking forward to next year is Ping Pong, will support that title for sure. I hope that it does well and that more titles like it see the light of day in the UK. Best Anime Limited acquisition since Bebop and Perfect Blue :)

qaiz said:
Next year is a busy one for Anime Limited but the title that I'm most looking forward to next year is Ping Pong, will support that title for sure. I hope that it does well and that more titles like it see the light of day in the UK. Best Anime Limited acquisition since Bebop and Perfect Blue :)

Seconded. Hopefully, it can lead to The Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba, and Kemonozume all getting picked up. :p (unlikely)

Well Tatami Galaxy came out while Andrew was at Beez and he had this to say about it:
Tatami Galaxy I love but subs for the DVDs drove many an authoring team crazy - so I'd have to think hard on that (I love the show though...)
I wasn't the biggest fan of Kaiba but appreciated it's existence just from an artistic point of view, the fact that such a show could exist and garner a following of such is wonderful. Not seen Kemonozume unfortunately but I wouldn't be against any of these getting a release here!
Speaking of Beez, did anything surface from this quote back in march?
there are plenty of titles back from when I was at Beez I'm in the process of closing that do deserve a second shot in BD and/or collector's editions :). I doubt anyone will be surprised by what I choose ;)

anime_andrew said:
Buzz201 said:
windcott said:

If it were cancelled - again we'd have said xD. It's lined up for Q2 atm as far as I recall here though and is definitely still going on :)!

Best,

AP

I'm holding off buying the US verion for this, it's high on my list. Q2 release would be super as I'm kinds full with my Q1 releases

qaiz said:
there are plenty of titles back from when I was at Beez I'm in the process of closing that do deserve a second shot in BD and/or collector's editions :). I doubt anyone will be surprised by what I choose ;)

Haurhi Season 1 & Eureka Seven..thus far.
If that's what you meant, still sleepy :mrgreen:

EDIT: I missed ..alot :wink:

qaiz said:

NormanicGrav said:
And we should also mark another show saved from Beez:
■ Cowboy Bebop
■ Durarara!!
Eureka Seven
■ The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
■ Outlaw Star
■ Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
■ The Vision of Escaflowne

The ones remaining from Beez that Andrew could grab next:
[spoilerbutton]■ The Big O *Licensed by Sentai in US*
Fantastic Children
(The) Girl Who Leapt Through Space *Licensed by Sentai in US*
Gunbuster 2: Diebuster *Licensed by Discotek in US*
Gunbuster vs Diebuster: Aim for the Top! GATTAI!!
.hack//G.U. Trilogy *Licensed by Funimation in US*
.hack//Roots *Licensed by Funimation in US*
House of Five Leaves *Licensed by NIS America in US*
IGPX *Licensed by Discotek in US*
Lucky Star & Lucky Star OVA *Licensed by Funimation in US*
Midori Days *Licensed by Media Blasters in US but may have expired*
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny *Licensed by Rightstuf/Sunrise in US*
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Special Edition *Licensed by Rightstuf/Sunrise in US*
My-HiME *Licensed by Funimation in US*
Planetes
Sound of the Sky *Licensed by Nozomi/Rightstuf in US*
Stratos 4
(The) Tatami Galaxy *Licensed by Funimation in US but aren't bothering to release for retail*
Wolf's Rain[/spoilerbutton]

There's probably more but ANN only lists the above.

Now I want the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Steelbook
41JmoPlJ-7L.jpg

Jatz said:
NormanicGrav said:
There's probably more but ANN only lists the above.

It'd be cool if they could get Crest/Banner of the Stars. I don't think Beez ever managed to release the third season.

Funimation managed to rescue the Stars series (Banner, Banner II & Crest) minus Banner III (which Bandai didn't have either) so a UK release should be possible.

Back