UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

IncendiaryLemon said:
shokoti said:
If I wanted to "just watch it" I could go on Google and quite quickly and easily find a shoddy quality version and watch it. Then why buy it at all?

To support and finance the show's creators as well as help to grow the UK anime market to encourage more frequent and higher quality releases in the UK.
Wow. That's completely missing the point of what I was saying there.

Then I really don't get the point you're making at all. I mean, you talk about Blu Ray releases as if you can't easily find HD versions of shows online quickly too. Almost any kind of media you can buy be it DVD or Blu Ray can easily be found online via illegal streaming or torrent sites with a handful of clicks. You buy things instead of torrenting them or whatever in order to fund the creators to make more content.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Then I really don't get the point you're making at all. I mean, you talk about Blu Ray releases as if you can't easily find HD versions of shows online quickly too. Almost any kind of media you can buy be it DVD or Blu Ray can easily be found online via illegal streaming or torrent sites with a handful of clicks. You buy things instead of torrenting them or whatever in order to fund the creators to make more content.
It's in reply to a point the poster above was making about not being bothered about quality in official releases and just "watching the show". I was saying if I want to do that, I could easily do that without paying and not collect it (it literally has nothing to do with what versions I could illegally download). There is a paragraph of content relating to the sentence you extracted that is completely relevant to the point and you're extracting it to make some point about supporting the creators which is not relevant to this line of conversation (HD vs SD) at all. I buy stuff, and subscribe to these streaming services, to support the creators. I do the same with music. But that doesn't mean I should accept an inferior version (when a superior one is available) just because, when I can spend my money on something else that does meet what I require.

You asked for a reason and I gave you one. Great, you support creators through legal streaming. I've read and reread that paragraph I don't know how that line was relevant to the point you were making in the first place myself.

Shokoti's point was surely that collecting anime is more than just building up a library of low resolution source material to watch; for them, the experience of collecting something to treasure is ruined if that something isn't up to the standards they expect. I don't think it's an unreasonable stance.

I have to admit, I'm not inclined to believe that showing there's a decent market for anime in the UK will actually achieve anything for us in the long run. I've been trying to demonstrate this for years and we still get treated badly by many of the Japanese (and American) companies. Technically speaking, if we want these shows on BD what we need to do is import the US release, right? Since they've stipulated that we're getting packages which are based on the releases they're getting over there.

Now, I know that's not fair and that Andrew is fighting tooth and nail to get us everything we can have, but I wonder if there's any way he can help us get our message to the guys at Sunrise? They're putting us in a complicated position and even if the people who want BD do support the DVD release, they're then less likely to buy the BD they originally wanted to begin with because they will already own the show. Fighting among ourselves isn't the way to get better Gundam releases in the UK.

R

Rui said:
Shokoti's point was surely that collecting anime is more than just building up a library of low resolution source material to watch; for them, the experience of collecting something to treasure is ruined if that something isn't up to the standards they expect. I don't think it's an unreasonable stance.
Absolutely.

IncendiaryLemon, I thought that was quite clear if you followed the conversation and what I was replying to. And FYI, the "why buy it at all?" line was rhetorical, I wasn't asking anyone for an answer. If you read the whole paragraph you should understand that.

Fighting among ourselves isn't the way to get better Gundam releases in the UK.
Amen. We are just trying to make the point that we will buy something if it is released in a way acceptable to us, and we won't buy it if not. Will it achieve anything? Probably not. But by posting our stance here we are at least making our voices heard to AL, and that can't cause any harm or make things any worse than they are.

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:
It has to match yet we have no 0079 DVD weird

They don't want there to be too much disparity, but they don't want to lose money, obviously. One country not having one isn't a big deal.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing had been done to save money on approvals and production costs...

Or is it a reflection of the fact I feel the market for BD is stronger than DVD especially in the core audience who would actually buy Gundam today especially when presented with a DVD option at same time or instead of BD? It could be anything really...

Interesting to see folks opinions as always - what I was saying before was not some attempt to "get support" in fact I really rather people buy stuff because they like what we do and you want it on your shelf.

If folks don't want it - not buying it is a legit option and if it all doe send a message, then great. All I meant was there's a risk of that backfiring too sadly, you never know until it happens!

Keep fighting the good fight folks!

Andrew

My main issue with al gundam releases isnt the dvd only, but how the franchise links together, i'm very new to gundam and only really pre-orderd msg due to it being the first in the series. Is there a guide to how all of these link up ? I think Anime limited should maybe include like a poster or artcard/booklet that shows how everything links up.

windcott said:
My main issue with al gundam releases isnt the dvd only, but how the franchise links together, i'm very new to gundam and only really pre-orderd msg due to it being the first in the series. Is there a guide to how all of these link up ? I think Anime limited should maybe include like a poster or artcard/booklet that shows how everything links up.

I think it was in this thread a few pages back that myself and somebody else outlined the basic running order of the UC shows.

Coincidentally, I've been working up something by way of 'Gundam for the uninitiated' for Youtube. If anyone wants to PM me with a specific question or issue they have about Gundam continuity, that'd be useful. I'd like to be able to create content that's genuinely helpful to people, and some folks have already suggested this kind of thing.

shokoti said:
so really just be thankful you're getting anything.
LOL. Who do you think you are, really, to be telling me (or anyone else) that? Stop being so self-righteous and condescending. We're not living in the pre or post-crash days. Thankfully Andrew is a sensible person and I'm sure understands people's views on this. I think we should all be thankful you're not distributing, or I dread to think what we'd get.

Nothing like taking a quote out of context...

What I was saying is that given mecha is noted within the industry not to sell well, really everyone should be thankful any company is dedicating a significant amount of time and resources to it (especially when they have openly dropped other projects because they can't justify spending time on them), not necessarily that you should just accept a **** release.

It's an Anime Limited, I'm 100% certain that even a DVD-only release will be amazing. You chose whether to buy it or not, it's your prerogative. I'm only saying that actually I think the public's opinion is basically irrelevant and unless all of Gundam, even the DVD-only shows, sells very well they probably won't go back and do blu-ray releases for Turn A and the other one.

anime_andrew said:
Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:
It has to match yet we have no 0079 DVD weird

They don't want there to be too much disparity, but they don't want to lose money, obviously. One country not having one isn't a big deal.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing had been done to save money on approvals and production costs...

Or is it a reflection of the fact I feel the market for BD is stronger than DVD especially in the core audience who would actually buy Gundam today especially when presented with a DVD option at same time or instead of BD? It could be anything really...

Interesting to see folks opinions as always - what I was saying before was not some attempt to "get support" in fact I really rather people buy stuff because they like what we do and you want it on your shelf.

If folks don't want it - not buying it is a legit option and if it all doe send a message, then great. All I meant was there's a risk of that backfiring too sadly, you never know until it happens!

Andrew

Yes I know BD would sell more so why no for some then DVD only for others it makes little sense

anime_andrew said:

Andrew

I meant at Sunrise's end rather than yours. If they keep everything consistent they don't need to worry about constantly checking and approving 5 different releases.

Personally, I can't imagine you guys doing a bad DVD release, especially not when there's a proper HD master floating around, and I'll be more than willing to support your releases (provided I can actually afford them at the time). [Also, I should probably apologise for how much of an ******** I sounded in the message you quoted :(]

thedoctor2016 said:
Yes I know BD would sell more so why no for some then DVD only for others it makes little sense

We're thinking about this from a UK perspective, but perhaps thinking about it from American perspective might be better. They're still growing on the concept of sub-only releases, and with mecha still being relatively niche, DVD-only releases are probably a safe bet over there. RightStuf being one of the smaller anime distributors they probably don't want to risk huge amounts on blu-ray releases going astray, and we're following their lead.

The question is really why Sunrise care so much about keeping the UK and the US consistent with each other, and that could be any number of things.

Buzz201 said:
Nothing like taking a quote out of context...

What I was saying is that given mecha is noted within the industry not to sell well, really everyone should be thankful any company is dedicating a significant amount of time and resources to it (especially when they have openly dropped other projects because they can't justify spending time on them), not necessarily that you should just accept a **** release.
I only quoted that line, but that doesn't mean I was taking your comment out of context, I was making my point in the context of what you were saying. I don't care what Jerome has or hasn't said about mecha anime (which I know already), I'm still not thankful for a DVD only release and don't need you to get on your high horse and tell me to be.

It's an Anime Limited, I'm 100% certain that even a DVD-only release will be amazing.
I certainly have no doubt that the release will be the best quality DVD release possible, and I'm sure the packaging etc will be fantastic as well. That's not in question. So we cab agree on that. :)

You chose whether to buy it or not, it's your prerogative. I'm only saying that actually I think the public's opinion is basically irrelevant and unless all of Gundam, even the DVD-only shows, sells very well they probably won't go back and do blu-ray releases for Turn A and the other one.
But I'm not suggesting that they will "go back" and do blu ray releases, in fact I'd be surprised if they did that even if all the releases sold incredibly well. I want them to release them on BD at the same time. These releases won't be out for several months yet. So why not voice my opinion now, before it's released? Will it make a difference? I doubt it, but I certainly have the right to express my view without being told things along the lines of "I should be grateful of what I'm getting because mecha series don't sell well here" or "you should just make do with DVD quality", because those points are of no relevance to me.

I am glad you (and the other posters) will buy the DVDs and be happy with them, and I hope they do sell well. But I won't be buying them, and I'm not the only one. I would if they were on BD. It's just that simple, and that's all I've been trying to express all along, whether it makes a difference or not.

HdE said:
windcott said:

I think it was in this thread a few pages back that myself and somebody else outlined the basic running order of the UC shows.

Coincidentally, I've been working up something by way of 'Gundam for the uninitiated' for Youtube. If anyone wants to PM me with a specific question or issue they have about Gundam continuity, that'd be useful. I'd like to be able to create content that's genuinely helpful to people, and some folks have already suggested this kind of thing.

Yeah I posted a list of Gundam shows in timeline order, detailing which shows were dubbed and what were released on Blu-ray in Japan. If it helps I'll just list them here *it got overshadowed by being at the bottom of the page and through this long format war discussion*

[spoilerbutton]U.C. Timeline:
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin [Dubbed] - Blu-ray Imports coming to UK (via Anime Ltd) - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam [Dubbed] - Blu-ray confirmed for UK - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team [Dubbed]
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket [Dubbed]
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory [Dubbed] - Blu-ray scheduled for release in Japan
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam [Dubbed] - Blu-ray confirmed for UK - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ - DVD only for UK - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack [Dubbed] - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn [Dubbed] - Some Blu-ray Imports released in UK (viz Beez) - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 [Dubbed] - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam - Blu-ray released in Japan

A.C. Timeline:
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing [Dubbed] - Blu-ray released in Japan
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz [Dubbed] - Blu-ray released in Japan

A.D. Timeline:
Gundam Build Fighters - Blu-ray released in Japan
Gundam Build Fighters Try - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 [Dubbed] - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer [Dubbed] - Blu-ray released in Japan

A.G. Timeline:
Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - Blu-ray released in Japan

A.W. Timeline:
After War Gundam X

C.C. Timeline:
Turn A Gundam - DVD only for UK - Blu-ray released in Japan

C.E. Timeline:
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED [Dubbed - For Blu-ray it may need a re-dub] - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer [Dubbed] - Blu-ray released in Japan
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny [Dubbed - For Blu-ray it may need a re-dub] - Blu-ray released in Japan

F.C. Timeline:
Mobile Suit G Gundam

P.D. Timeline:
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans [Dub Planned] - Blu-ray scheduled for release in Japan

R.C. Timeline:
Gundam Reconguista in G - Blu-ray confirmed for UK - Blu-ray released in Japan

So pretty much most of the franchise have been released on Blu-ray which is good. However only half of them have been dubbed in English by Bandai. The titles that are expected to hit the UK without an English dub will most likely end up DVD only, I say most likely as Gundam Reconguista in G has dodged the bullet unless however Sunrise intends on dubbing it sometime after Iron-Blooded Orphans. As for the English dubbed titles, most of them should hit the UK without any problems however SEED may cause an issue. From what I've heard the episodes in the Blu-ray remaster of both SEED & SEED Destiny are slightly different, making the English dub problematic when it comes to syncing the audio. I'm sure there's someone who can explain this better than I can but people on Fandom Post have said it's a problem.[/spoilerbutton]

But either way the best order for starters is Mobile Suit Gundam -> Zeta Gundam -> Double Zeta -> Char's Counterattack. The rest is up to you. :lol:

Buzz201 said:
The question is really why Sunrise care so much about keeping the UK and the US consistent with each other, and that could be any number of things.
Agreed, and I think this is where not knowing the details of the deal works against us all, and is part of what I find so frustrating. I saw this quote earlier today from Shawne from Right Stuf saying Sunrise "don't want to make the investment" (regarding Turn A on BD). Which suggests what I think we most assumed, that Right Stuf are mostly just doing distribution with Sunrise making most of the decisions (I'm sure they listen to Right Stuf, but you get my drift). But how is the partnership with AL? If AL would be willing to do the costs for a Turn A BD, then why would Sunrise not let them? It's not going to affect the US, where the Turn A DVDs have been out since this summer anyway. But like I said, we don't know the ins and outs of the deal (or at least I don't), so that is what frustrates me. What is the point in format parity when we are even two different regions for BD and I would expect few Americans would likely import our release?

It just seems ridiculous that if the shows exist in HD and AL would be willing to release it that way (assuming that's the way the deal works) they're not allowed. Hence I'm going to voice my opinion (and vote with my wallet, the only feasible way to do it), whether it makes a difference or not.

(Anyway, I think I have tripled my post count today haha, so I will probably go back to just reading. But thanks all for the discussion, and I'm glad I got to voice my opinion. This thread is a great place for AL news and feedback so I don't want to keep beating the dead horse about the formats, as I've definitely got my point across now lol.)

Re: rec g on blu ray, didn't someone at the panel Say that its release was a test/experiment? Maybe that's the bluray release we all need to buy, the sub only gundam that isn't uc/cc. Testing the waters to see how an sub only none mainline series does not only on blu ray but also in General in our market.

Edit - looks likely it wasn't at the panel but I'm positive I read an AL Rep say rec g was a test and now i can't find it...I'm not making it up, honest :/

Back