UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

NormanicGrav said:
Would it be possible for Andrew to do a Kickstarter for the Gundam films? Just to see if there's demand for it.

Probably not, Andrew's been quite clear that Sunrise want the US and UK to match as much as possible...

thedoctor2016 said:
It has to match yet we have no 0079 DVD weird

They don't want there to be too much disparity, but they don't want to lose money, obviously. One country not having one isn't a big deal.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing had been done to save money on approvals and production costs...

Buzz201 said:
I'm sorry, you're delusional. No company of sane mind goes "oh, the cheap product didn't sell, let's produce something more expensive because that will definitely sell". I will repeat again, failing to buy the DVDs only shows Sunrise you are not interested in Gundam, it does not show them you are not interested in DVDs...
I'm not delusional, you're clearly just ignorant from the way you are speaking. I never said that if a show was released on DVD and tanked they would produce a BD.

If Gundam shows which are released on BD sell greater than DVD, what do you think that tells them? That we're not interested in Gundam at all? Right...

so really just be thankful you're getting anything.
LOL. Who do you think you are, really, to be telling me (or anyone else) that? Stop being so self-righteous and condescending. We're not living in the pre or post-crash days. Thankfully Andrew is a sensible person and I'm sure understands people's views on this. I think we should all be thankful you're not distributing, or I dread to think what we'd get.

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:
It has to match yet we have no 0079 DVD weird

They don't want there to be too much disparity, but they don't want to lose money, obviously. One country not having one isn't a big deal.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing had been done to save money on approvals and production costs...

If they know there gonna lose money on a DVD release the question why there is one for ZZ and Turn A is raised again

shokoti said:
HellCat said:
I'm just gonna bottom line my opinion that not supporting the DVDs isn't going to send the message to Sunrise to release them on Blu-ray but instead the message that the UK doesn't want Gundam. If they've ignored us for this long, I don't imagine they're willing to fight for the UK market.
Apart from your theory of them "ignoring" us (as in the UK) makes no sense, as we've had many Gundam releases in the UK in the past (when Bandai was releasing them in the US, and we even got stuff like the Wing remastered DVDs which the US never did), and if they were "ignoring" us they were ignoring the US as well, as there was nothing Gundam-wise from when Bandai went under until TRSI partnered with them (excepting the Unicorn and Origin import-style releases). AL are partnering in the same way and it's a pretty similar timeframe. So what are you talking about "ignoring"?

The US push has always been stronger. Bandai/Sunrise are slowly opening their eyes to the UK market but consider that what we got on Sunday was the first time the UK has had such a panel whilst the US has been having them for years. You can buy Gunpla in select US stores right now and even if we were getting DVDs we never got any other shows on TV here. Bandai UK infamously released toys related to the OYW series here after Wing which were orphaned with no fiction on television or home media to accompany them.

There's been a Gundam presence here but it was hardly treated as a focus. It wasn't really until the start of Unicorn where we were included in the 'global' release that Sunrise seemed to slowly be taking an active interest in the UK.

HellCat said:
The US push has always been stronger. Bandai/Sunrise are slowly opening their eyes to the UK market but consider that what we got on Sunday was the first time the UK has had such a panel whilst the US has been having them for years. You can buy Gunpla in select US stores right now and even if we were getting DVDs we never got any other shows on TV here. Bandai UK infamously released toys related to the OYW series here after Wing which were orphaned with no fiction on television or home media to accompany them.

There's been a Gundam presence here but it was hardly treated as a focus. It wasn't really until the start of Unicorn where we were included in the 'global' release that Sunrise seemed to slowly be taking an active interest in the UK.
I know all that, and I would never say the UK was a "focus". After all, why would it be? Our market is very small. Of course the US push has always been stronger. My point was simply that you can't say, on the anime side, we have been "ignored" and therefore we should be grateful of any releases at all, which is what the other person was saying. That implies we got nothing, which just isn't true.

The UK market is too small for any of this to really make a difference - in terms of people voting with their wallets in some kind of DVD / Blu Ray face off, we're talking merely a few hundreds of copies. At best any of the Gundams will probably sell 1000-2000 copies over the space of a year.

I have to say I fall very much in the 'just buy it' camp - we're lucky enough to be getting this as it is, and while it might suck we aren't getting this or that, let's be honest - if we aren't gettin it now, we probably never will (or at least for another 5-10 years) so at the end of the day it makes no difference at all.

Lutga said:
The UK market is too small for any of this to really make a difference - in terms of people voting with their wallets in some kind of DVD / Blu Ray face off, we're talking merely a few hundreds of copies. At best any of the Gundams will probably sell 1000-2000 copies over the space of a year.

I have to say I fall very much in the 'just buy it' camp - we're lucky enough to be getting this as it is, and while it might suck we aren't getting this or that, let's be honest - if we aren't gettin it now, we probably never will (or at least for another 5-10 years) so at the end of the day it makes no difference at all.
I get all that too, and I am well aware it will likely make no difference. But you never know, maybe it will. And if it doesn't, and I don't get it, then I'd rather go without than buy an inferior product thanks. And we are talking about the UK market here, I'm hardly saying by me not buying one series on DVD but another on BD they will suddenly release everything here and abroad on BD.

What you choose to do is up to you, but I'm not spending my money on DVDs anymore. I won't 'just buy it'.

"Just buy it" is a rather nice way of saying "Suck it up and buy, Chump. Your opinion does not matter here" :wink:

I'm all for buying it under the following provisos

1 - It has good quality video
2 - (ideally) It comes in Blu-Ray size packaging with a DVD size slip cover (for retail purposes and DVD collector purposes) so that I can keep all the Gundam series together without height issues etc
3 - It is nowhere near the price of the blu-rays

edit - On another topic, has anyone had their Fate/Kaleid ship from All The Anime shop? Not ordered off them in a long time, so dont know how up to speed they are with shipping, confirmation emails etc

If I was being blunt from my POV it's less 'suck it up and buy it' and more 'Do you realise what you're asking?'

Honest question- if this push flops because people refuse to support anything less than a Blu-ray, are said same people going to be upset if we get told future Gundam releases are now off the table? I don't expect everyone who buys Gundam titles to be as nutty as me but I know that I'll be quite miffed if when it was needed the support wasn't shown because a group of people thought they had some clever strategy to get the shows released the way they want.

HellCat said:
If I was being blunt from my POV it's less 'suck it up and buy it' and more 'Do you realise what you're asking?'

Honest question- if this push flops because people refuse to support anything less than a Blu-ray, are said same people going to be upset if we get told future Gundam releases are now off the table? I don't expect everyone who buys Gundam titles to be as nutty as me but I know that I'll be quite miffed if when it was needed the support wasn't shown because a group of people thought they had some clever strategy to get the shows released the way they want.

It's less a clever strategy, more not ploughing your money in to something you actually don't want, which several people on here and facebook have said over and over again, they literally do not want to buy a DVD release of these show. People buy for themselves, not for your or anyone elses benefit. If the releases fail then the blame rests solely on Sunrise for misjudging the market/format demands.

I can understand why Gundam fans are just happy to get things in whatever format they can, but at the end of the day, not everyone is a gundam fan, not everyone is going to "just buy it" because that goes against their collecting habits, not everyone is going to be like you :?

britguy said:
edit - On another topic, has anyone had their Fate/Kaleid ship from All The Anime shop? Not ordered off them in a long time, so dont know how up to speed they are with shipping, confirmation emails etc
I don't have a shipping confirmation either, although I think they tend to be worse at sending confirmation e-mails than actually sending the goods (and there's still time really, with the release being on Monday). That said, I don't think I've bought anything from them too recently either. I did get an order confirmation, it took a while after I'd made the order though.

britguy said:

I too have ordered Fate/Kaleid from the All The Anime Shop and received nothing as of yet. Last item i ordered from them was SAO II - Part 1; but i can't remember if i got a dispatch notice (although i know it arrived quickly).

britguy said:
HellCat said:

It's less a clever strategy, more not ploughing your money in to something you actually don't want, which several people on here and facebook have said over and over again, they literally do not want to buy a DVD release of these show. People buy for themselves, not for your or anyone elses benefit. If the releases fail then the blame rests solely on Sunrise for misjudging the market/format demands.

I can understand why Gundam fans are just happy to get things in whatever format they can, but at the end of the day, not everyone is a gundam fan, not everyone is going to "just buy it" because that goes against their collecting habits, not everyone is going to be like you :?

agree with britguy - I am choosing not to buy them because i just don't buy DVDs. My reasoning for not buying it will differ from others, some may not be buying the DVD as a protest against it not being available on BD, but not me. Also, I don't think consumers should be made to feel responsible if a product fails because it isn't what some of those same consumers want to spend their money on - if the DVD only releases of Gundam flop it will be the fault of those that decided it should be DVD only. My prediction is that the DVDs will do okay, despite mine and others not buying it, but it's hard to tell.

Personally I kind of feel people get too hung up on quality these days - yes of course when you're parting with your hard earned cash you want to be happy with what you're getting and want to see the show in the best possible way.

But equally, I feel uneasy when more time is spent picking over the minutest of details with the product than the show itself. Sometimes I just feel like 'When did we stop caring about the show itself?' Or'Whats wrong with just watching it?' - let's face it, a release will never be perfect, there'll always be something that could have been better.

For me, in the four hours I get between getting home from work and going to sleep, I just want to sit down and enjoy a show - I don't want to stress and pine and pick through a piece of packaging or bitrates with a fine tooth comb. For me, life is too short for that stuff.

For some people, the little details can be a big part of the entertainment value. It's not necessarily about the numbers so much as what they represent. Some people also do watch things to study technical details, pieces of animation and maybe even still images. I don't think there's really a wrong way to enjoy a show/product and different people are going to emphasise different aspects.

HellCat said:
Of course I know what I'm asking. I'm asking for shows, which already have BD releases in Japan, to be released on BD here. It's not unreasonable from a consumer point of view, as you seem to keep making out.

Honest question- if this push flops because people refuse to support anything less than a Blu-ray, are said same people going to be upset if we get told future Gundam releases are now off the table?
Of course I'd be disappointed if they said Gundam will never be released here ever again because these first batch of releases didn't sell, but they'd be dumb to do that because if they released at least Wing on BD here after, I'm sure that would sell. So they'd be losing a reasonable business opportunity. This is a stupid thing to say though, as why should I go against not buying DVDs anymore just because it's Gundam? Why should I line the pockets of a company buying something I don't want when it is completely within the realms of reasonability to want a BD, since BDs of these shows exist already.

Your argument about flopping, anyway, would only hold weight if everything was being released DVD only. Since some of the shows are coming out on BD, it's not going to flop because we don't buy the DVD-only ones.

I don't expect everyone who buys Gundam titles to be as nutty as me but I know that I'll be quite miffed if when it was needed the support wasn't shown because a group of people thought they had some clever strategy to get the shows released the way they want.
It's not a "clever strategy", you are twisting this into something it's not. My first post on the subject was that I want it on BD (NOT an unreasonable request) and I won't buy it on DVD because I don't buy DVDs anymore. It's got nothing to do with strategy, I'd be saying the same for any show. There are several shows MVM and Manga have released DVD only that I haven't bought for the same reason. It's the same reason I won't buy Beck from AL if they only release it on DVD, but will jump on it if they release it on BD. Why should I waste my money buying a DVD just to benefit the likes of you when I don't want a DVD? That's just telling companies I'm happy with DVD only, which I'm not.

Lutga said:
Personally I kind of feel people get too hung up on quality these days - yes of course when you're parting with your hard earned cash you want to be happy with what you're getting and want to see the show in the best possible way.

But equally, I feel uneasy when more time is spent picking over the minutest of details with the product than the show itself. Sometimes I just feel like 'When did we stop caring about the show itself?' Or'Whats wrong with just watching it?' - let's face it, a release will never be perfect, there'll always be something that could have been better.

For me, in the four hours I get between getting home from work and going to sleep, I just want to sit down and enjoy a show - I don't want to stress and pine and pick through a piece of packaging or bitrates with a fine tooth comb. For me, life is too short for that stuff.
It's not about picking over details. I have the original Cowboy Bebop discs from AL and never replaced them (though I was very grateful AL offered) for the small video glitch because I wouldn't notice it. I was disappointed but didn't kick up a stink about the low quality spliced footage in Gurren Lagann (mainly disappointed that we weren't told in advance).

But I pay a ridiculous amount of money each month to Sky for my Sky+ subscription, I pay for Crunchyroll, I pay for Netflix, and I pay for other services. Because I want to watch stuff in HD, because it's a standard way to consume entertainment. Do I have old shows on DVD that I would still watch? Yes. But if they're available in HD I'd rather watch that. I don't watch normal TV shows illegally from those tube sites because I don't want to watch my TV in crappy quality when I know I can watch it in HD. Good for you that you're happy with it, I have nothing against you for it and I wouldn't go around telling you "you MUST watch in HD". So the fact that you and a couple of others are making out that we are nit-picking because we want to watch stuff in HD, when it's available in HD, is just ridiculous.

If I wanted to "just watch it" I could go on Google and quite quickly and easily find a shoddy quality version and watch it. Then why buy it at all? But I am collecting it, so of course I want the best possible version. And no I don't accept "a release will never be perfect". If someone wants me to spend money on their products, then I expect the product to be the best quality it can be. If we all took this view, we'd still have DVDs that look like crap, with hard-coded signs and song subs, no chapter stops, etc, like the early DVD releases had.

To trivialise wanting a show in HD, when a HD version exists, as "pick[ing] through a piece of packaging or bitrates with a fine tooth comb" is ridiculous. That is not what any of us are saying we do at all.

I feel bad now because I feel like I have partly derailed this thread. I am glad that Gundam is coming back here, and I am super-glad it is through AL. But I am not glad that shows that have BD releases elsewhere are coming here DVD only. I never will be, and I'm not going to buy them if they are, it's as simple as that. I just wanted to make my stance clear in the thread for the distributor since they actually read it.

shokoti said:
If I wanted to "just watch it" I could go on Google and quite quickly and easily find a shoddy quality version and watch it. Then why buy it at all?

To support and finance the show's creators as well as help to grow the UK anime market to encourage more frequent and higher quality releases in the UK.

Back